What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
......It was so smooth and close that I could not believe that this was a GEM.
My shave angle varied from almost parallel to not so parallel (lack of attention) but it had no impact on aggressiveness (still easy and smooth). The razor is really very user-friendly and allows for a thoughtful shave or a quick shave. The Featherweight would be a great transition razor for someone trying a GEM for the first time. I did notice that the Featherweight does require some additional pressure to be efficient. I also noticed that blade alignment was a breeze (dropped in the blade closed the cap and its alignment and spacing were perfect), maybe because this razor is a real NOS razor with zero prior use.

Nice shave, good Monday.
Sounds like you found your perfect GEM, congratulations!!!! I'm sure I've said this a thousand times (maybe a few less), but the Featherweight is an awesome shaver, and it almost always travels with me on business for when I need to do a daily shave. I can wake up, put a brand new GEM SS PTFE blade in it, and get an amazing shave while still being half-asleep. For the longest I was looking for a NOS Deluxe FW, just to have as a "back-up" to my beaten up one....you found the one I was looking for....truly beautiful!!!

Loaded up a new blade in my new Featherweight. Wow, this was a real surprise vs. my 1912 GEM. Initially, I struggled to try to get to a good technique with GEM's to the point that I almost sold every GEM that I had acquired. The "G" Bar saved my GEM collection from BST and since that success, I have been able to begin to enjoy my 1912 and MMOC.
Out of pure curiosity and impulse, I purchased my new NOS Featherweight. It was just too good looking to pass up.

Today with a new blade and one of my favorite shave creams I gave the Featherweight try. I know that all of you that enjoy GEM's know that this is one smooth shaver. It was so smooth and close that I could not believe that this was a GEM.
My shave angle varied from almost parallel to not so parallel (lack of attention) but it had no impact on aggressiveness (still easy and smooth). The razor is really very user-friendly and allows for a thoughtful shave or a quick shave. The Featherweight would be a great transition razor for someone trying a GEM for the first time. I did notice that the Featherweight does require some additional pressure to be efficient. I also noticed that blade alignment was a breeze (dropped in the blade closed the cap and its alignment and spacing were perfect), maybe because this razor is a real NOS razor with zero prior use.

Nice shave, good Monday.View attachment 1023908

The featherweight is a perfect razor to use for breaking in a new Gem blade. Try using it for the shave or two with a new blade then use the same blade into one of the more aggressive Gem razors and see if it helps you get better results with them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Loaded up a new blade in my new Featherweight. Wow, this was a real surprise vs. my 1912 GEM. Initially, I struggled to try to get to a good technique with GEM's to the point that I almost sold every GEM that I had acquired. The "G" Bar saved my GEM collection from BST and since that success, I have been able to begin to enjoy my 1912 and MMOC.
Out of pure curiosity and impulse, I purchased my new NOS Featherweight. It was just too good looking to pass up.

Today with a new blade and one of my favorite shave creams I gave the Featherweight try. I know that all of you that enjoy GEM's know that this is one smooth shaver. It was so smooth and close that I could not believe that this was a GEM.

Nice shave, good Monday.View attachment 1023908
I'm glad your having success with Your brand new Gem Featherweight, because of the lack of razor weight you become more in tune with the razor and it's limits and it's a joy to become master of the little rascal IMO. I believe the shaves get better over time and you know what you can get away with this unique razor IMO.
Have some great shaves!

For OCtober trying to use the MicroMatic (open comb) along with my DE razors. Loaded it up with a fresh carbon steel blade today and had a great late afternoon shave!

Hot shower prep with Proraso white pre shave balm
Gem squat head with Gem SS PTFE.
Enders Speed Razor with Shick proline B20.
Sterling soaps Pharoah's Dreamsicle on Two Band Badger.
Witch hazel After Shave splash.
Great relaxing shave.

20191013_115058.jpg

Flintstone65

Micromatic Monday / GEMonday Approaches!!! Honestly this one might have slipped by me had it not been for @GAW9576's posting today -- thank you, sir!!!

So as we're in the midst of OCtober, and I haven't yet shaved with my MMOC this month -- actually it's been a bit longer than that -- it's time for it to make an appearance. I haven't yet decided whether it will be with or without bumps; but it will be a Micromatic Monday for me.

I hope to see many of your shaves tomorrow -- perhaps a lather catcher, or an Ever-Ready, or a GEM...maybe a Treet (we don't see many of those). If it's a GEM (or ASR-Relative), I hope to see it here.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday OCtober14th should of used a daily double for the occasion but forgot, today I'm using one of A.S.R family members the Star bar lather catcher razor(No4) gives a very decent shave and easy handling two valued characteristics of any razor.

Razor : Star Bar(Kampfe Brothers)brand-MFG 1920-21 kind of a rarity.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
Soap : Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand soap + Clear Aloe Vera gel Dab on the beard area.
Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock American barber aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea Sensitive balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + alum indicated some irritation + no weepers = :001_smile
MMMonday Oct 14-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

MMMonday OCtober14th should of used a daily double for the occasion but forgot, today I'm using one of A.S.R family members the Star bar lather catcher razor(No4) gives a very decent shave and easy handling two valued characteristics of any razor.

Preshave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand soap + Clear Aloe Vera gel Dab on the beard area.
Post shave: Razorock American barber aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea Sensitive balm
View attachment 1025891
Have some great shaves!
I simply cannot stop lusting after that Star :001_wub:....just beautiful, as always!

Micromatic Monday!

Gem open comb MicroMatic / Carbon steel SE blade (5)

Blade is a little rougher than it was last week. Still haven't found the secret of preserving the carbon blades long term.

Got my OCtober Micromatic Monday act semi-together:

4AC197E8-E508-4705-90F5-0F71CC5E047C.jpeg

I don’t know how long the Gem PTFE has been sitting in the MMOC. So the NEW SC snuck in there with a fresher blade to do the second half of a touch up shave.

Flintstone65

Micromatic Monday!

Blade is a little rougher than it was last week. Still haven't found the secret of preserving the carbon blades long term.
5 has always been my limit with the Carbons....and I've done the alcohol soak, dry thoroughly and coat with mineral oil)....also tried Frog Lube.....nothing keeps the rust at bay or the edge alive for me. Definitely a nice smooth blade for the first few shaves, just no longevity for me.

Micromatic Monday!

When you find the right preservative, let me know!

I was reading a recent post from the gentleman at Blackland to the effect that modern Gem style razor popularity was limited by the SS PTFE as the only blade available. I would just like my carbon blades to be available for more than a few shaves/days. 5 shaves beats my record. :thumbup1:

5 has always been my limit with the Carbons....and I've done the alcohol soak, dry thoroughly and coat with mineral oil)....also tried Frog Lube.....nothing keeps the rust at bay or the edge alive for me. Definitely a nice smooth blade for the first few shaves, just no longevity for me.
When you find the right preservative, let me know!

I was reading a recent post from the gentleman at Blackland to the effect that modern Gem style razor popularity was limited by the SS PTFE as the only blade available. I would just like my carbon blades to be available for more than a few shaves/days. 5 shaves beats my record. :thumbup1:
Sounds like Fred has tried everything I was going to try. There was somebody on the Excalibur thread who had good luck leaving his Treet blades on a sunny windowsill but I don’t think mine has the right amount of sun. I’d love to be able to do a one blade in February with a carbon blade but five or six has been my limit so far.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
10/14/2019
SOTD
Preshave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Stirling Badger 24mm
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem (2)
Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel
After Shave: Vintage Avon Spice

Excellent shave today!
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

View attachment 1025891
Have some great shaves!

Such a beautiful razor I for one will forgive you for not using an MM or an OC.

I haven't had an issue with the carbon blades rusting. I keep mine in a small ziplock bag soaking in a mineral oil cut with a little rubbing alchohol. Had one for a Valet Auto Strop since July with no visible rust.

Top Bottom