What's new

Micromatic Clog Pruf! A.M.azing!

It's been a while since I shaved with my Micromatics. So, recently, I decided to give the DEs a rest and use a few of the Micromatics.

Now, it took me two to three shaves to get back into the groove. Adjusting the shave angle from the DE to the flat position of the MMCP takes a bit of re-learning if you've been away.

I've had some great shaves with the MMCP, but this morning shave was stellar!

I decided to take my own advice and really watch technique. I used the razor flat and I used a VERY light touch.

I used a Semogue 1800 boar brush, Col. Conk Amber shave soap, and a Ted Pella blade.

Truthfully, the first pass was okay. It was as to be expected. All first passes with razors, be they DE or SE, are just okay. The first pass knocks down the beard growth and starts the process. Some razors knock down a bit more on first pass, others a bit less. Usually, for me, the second pass tells the story.

And what a second pass! After two passes, I was ready to run out the door and start the day! But, I decided to do a third pass and got an absolutely smooth BBS shave! It's almost three hours later and my skin is still soft and clean shaven! Remarkable!

I've always said that the MMCP (and other Micromatics) was the best kept secret in traditional wet shaving and this morning proved it again! No nicks! No cuts! No irritation!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning's shave!

Thanks to all in this forum for introducing me to the Micromatic and SE shave!:)

I love a good success story. Congrats.

I'm a fan of the Clog-Pruf too. It's a bit less "raw-boned" than the MMOC (which I also like), and modern Gem blades are terrific.

I love a good success story. Congrats.

I'm a fan of the Clog-Pruf too. It's a bit less "raw-boned" than the MMOC (which I also like), and modern Gem blades are terrific.

Thanks.:) I have several of these. I just cleaned and sanitized a Gem Contour Push Button I happened on at a local antique store some months ago. It's in like new shape!:) It came with the original clear case with the instructions inserted and a three pack of Stainless Gem Blades.:) Ten bucks!:)

With the blades still being in the blade vault, I assume they've never been used . But I am a bit wary of loading one. The original box appeared to be intact.:)

Anyhow, it's another great Gem razor to try!:)

And, I'll add, I'l be on the lookout for a chrome MMCP.:) I have two in gold (brass?).

But, I'm loving these razors as both shavers and a part of my vintage collection.:)

Amazing that, after 70 to 80 years, these razors are still going strong!:)

I've heard the MMCP is a really nice, smooth shaver. Thanks for the input. I have a MMOC, which is a bit too aggressive for me. The GEM 1912 is a great shaver, though.

I've heard the MMCP is a really nice, smooth shaver. Thanks for the input. I have a MMOC, which is a bit too aggressive for me. The GEM 1912 is a great shaver, though.

Of all the Micromatics I have, the Clog Pruf is my favorite.:)

I have a 1912 and it's VERY good! It's almost 100 years old.:) Wow!:)

I only have one 1912, so I need to be careful.:) I have a couple of MMCPs.:)

Terrific! I love my DE collection, but my SEs in general deliver better shaves than most of my DEs.

And, I agree with you that the MM lineup is stellar. I have 2 OCMMs (chrome, brass), 3 Bullet Tips (chrome w/plastic knob, chrome w/chrome knob, gold plated), and one chrome Clog Pruf, and I wouldn't take anything for them!

I limit the Clog-Pruf to two passes and light clean up.
I can do three passes with the G-Bar.
Those two are great razors!

Bump back to the top......

An amazing shave today to close out the year. Yep, the Clog-Pruf is a damn fine razor!

10EFB608-F03E-4344-8627-C3384377F591.jpeg

1946 Clog-Pruf "Peerless"/Gem PTFE
proxy.php

The '46 Peerless can be distinguished from the 1940-42 model by the 17 nibs on the safety bar.
proxy.php

1946 Clog-Pruf "Peerless"/Gem PTFE
proxy.php

The '46 Peerless can be distinguished from the 1940-42 model by the 17 nibs on the safety bar.
proxy.php

That’s a good looking razor. Interesting that they added those extra nibs on there. I don’t know if it would add or enhance the shave or feel but, it’s good to know that there are some subtle differences from production year runs. Looks like another Clog-Pruf on the list...

That’s a good looking razor. Interesting that they added those extra nibs on there. I don’t know if it would add or enhance the shave or feel but, it’s good to know that there are some subtle differences from production year runs. Looks like another Clog-Pruf on the list...

The extra nibs takes it one step closer to a solid safety bar! Just a guess.

I have both. I cannot distinguish between either in a shave. I think the "Peerless" looks better, more refined somehow. A purely aesthetic perception. I appreciate that I now know what the difference is between the two historically. I've always wondered.

E25C0FAE-EE94-42BD-96F3-25EAD7FDC32F.jpeg
Im basically having the same reaction to my Gem MMOC. Today was my 4th shave with it using a Gem Teflon Coated blade (also shave 4) and it may be the best shave I’ve gotten in 1.5 years of DE/wetshaving.

Short strokes, with zero pressure do the trick. And I’m consistently amazed at how smooth it is. I do get audio feedback, but not a tremendous amount. I know if it’s loud, I’m missing the angle. It is also making me a better DE
Shaver, this is showing me the angle is everything.

I look forward to trying a clog pruf and the bullet handle.

Ps I like your videos

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
JUST picked up a Clog Pruf. Pix eventually; it looks NIB -- smooth as butter when opening. I'm in the middle of a month-long session with a different razor at the moment, so along about Feb. 15th I'll switch over and let you know...

OH

Top Bottom