What's new

MIA for a while, but back @ B&B

After a way too long hiatus, I am back to B&B. I hope I can ease myself back into a daily regiment of reading, sharing, and enjoying the good things in life that B&B celebrates. For me, that starts with a great cup of coffee, even before a shave. So this is the first forum I am posting in and hopefully I can get back to being a part of this great community. I am working from home, as I'm sure most of you are, so I am drinking more coffee. Even as I type this, I have a cup of Kenya AA brewed in a French Press, that I am enjoying.

Those that have been around a while, I will post more about my experience with the coffee truck and having a coffee business. There is much to tell, but I can spoil the surprise now that the business is closed and there is no chance to reopen and I'm quite happy with that. As I tell others, I am out of the business-business.

Cheers to the Cafe members. I hope to catch up more soon.

I was wondering what happened tp you.
Mick,

It’s been a long and winding road, to say the least. But I am very, very happy to be done with all of that. I’ll gladly drink my own roasts from my Behmor or from other roasters. I put everything I had into the business and every dime I had and gave it my all. Some poor decisions and some even worse cash management choices put me into a hole that would take a long time to recover from. Then add in my Dad getting prostate cancer(recovered and cancer free👍🏻) and me having to go to/from KY very regularly, and then top that with never-ending truck repairs/problems and this is a recipe for the disaster it was. It was fun and I always knew I could do the enormous amount of legwork to do it, but I never dreamed I’d have the incredible amount of issues along the way. You always count on problems and assume the expenses will be much higher than budgeted, but can’t forecast some things and when it all hits the fan at once, it kills your entrepreneurial spirit. When it’s problem after problem, it kills any momentum you have built since the previous setback. And you can only throw $ at some problems for so long and the $ dries up.

But I did it, have zero regrets, and happily working for the man and plan on doing so until I can retire. I can assure you of this, after going through all I did, it makes working for the man much easier and I appreciate the little things much more now-Like receiving a paycheck!

Good to get back to some normalcy.

Cheers!

Mick,

It’s been a long and winding road, to say the least. But I am very, very happy to be done with all of that. I’ll gladly drink my own roasts from my Behmor or from other roasters. I put everything I had into the business and every dime I had and gave it my all. Some poor decisions and some even worse cash management choices put me into a hole that would take a long time to recover from. Then add in my Dad getting prostate cancer(recovered and cancer free👍🏻) and me having to go to/from KY very regularly, and then top that with never-ending truck repairs/problems and this is a recipe for the disaster it was. It was fun and I always knew I could do the enormous amount of legwork to do it, but I never dreamed I’d have the incredible amount of issues along the way. You always count on problems and assume the expenses will be much higher than budgeted, but can’t forecast some things and when it all hits the fan at once, it kills your entrepreneurial spirit. When it’s problem after problem, it kills any momentum you have built since the previous setback. And you can only throw $ at some problems for so long and the $ dries up.

But I did it, have zero regrets, and happily working for the man and plan on doing so until I can retire. I can assure you of this, after going through all I did, it makes working for the man much easier and I appreciate the little things much more now-Like receiving a paycheck!

Good to get back to some normalcy.

Cheers!

That sux....

Did you have fun? In the end that's all that matters.

It was fun, for a while and I truly have no regrets. I can and will always look back at that time with pride in the fact that I took the leap and did it. I spent an incredible amount of time planning and preparing for the business. As many know, you can only plan for so much. I am not sorry I did it, but I am glad to be on the other side of everything. Even when things go haywire, there is a very long tail as you try to close down a business. Obviously, there is a lot to do before opening and people know this, but when you shut down the paperwork and red tape goes on for a while.

Just knowing that I can and did work so hard is the satisfying part I take away. Not that I don't work hard now, but when you are working for yourself, the hard work and long days seem to be much easier. Now when I shut my computer down at precisely quitting time, that part is very satisfying that I get to leave work with work. I don't have to stay up many long nights trying to work things out. So there is good and bad with this experience, but I continue to choose the positives that I have taken away and definitely see the many positives in not having to work for myself. I'll say this if I ever did it again, which I just can't see happening, I'd have to have some type of partner or key person that is vested in the company to work with. When it's just you, it is an overwhelming amount of work and responsibility. But I'd have a very tough time convincing myself, and if somehow that happened, my Wife would likely whap me in the head with a baseball bat before I had a chance to even think about it.

Thank you for the warm welcome as I sit down for a work session at home and enjoy some Guatemalan San Sebastian from Perc Coffee Roasters in Savannah- those guys really put out some great coffee.

Cheers folks!

Top Bottom