What's new

Mexican beer

I like me some Negra Modelo or Modelo Especial with a lime wedge. I think Corona tastes like horse ****. Which other beers from south of the Rio Grande would I like? The local stores have Pacifico, Sol, Tecate, and a few others. Any of them worth trying?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well considering I live 10 min from the Rio Grande :)

My vote is Tecate. Lime juice/salt whats not to like?

Bohemia is nice...I dont care for Dos X' or Corona.

Guiness saves the day though :)

Dos Equis is ok on tap, don't care so much for it out of the bottle. Something about an ice cold Modelo Especiale that just makes me soil myself...

I'm sipping a Boddington's tonight, in anticipation of England handing us our own asses on Saturday in the cup. Oh well. I'll be pulling for Mexico and Uruguay to knock France out in the first round, that should ease my pain.

Corona was the first beer I started liking- started drinking beer about a year ago.

Ya know, Neurotopia, you've talked about excretions twice in two posts!

V

VR6ofpain

Stick with Negra Modelo, it is basically the best. Dos Equis Amber is also good, but definitely second to Negra Modelo. Pacifico is just as bad as Corona, but you feel less guilty drinking it. I loved Pacifico in high school, but realized a few years later it was awful. Also Dos Equis Lager is pretty weak, but refreshing. Maybe a slight step above Pacifico.

I think I was ok with Tecate, but I haven't had it in years.

Right now I am drinking Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. This kind of beer is in a different world than the Mexican beers mentioned above. Pure bliss.

I do not know if this a lowbrow beer or not but I really enjoy it...

proxy.php

Since all these are available locally...here's how I like it:

@cancun or playa del carmen: XX Lager (refreshing)
@grill or poker nights: Tekate Light or Indio (great balance)
@seafood: Bohemia, if not available then Pacifico
@any occasion that I need to get drunk: Indio (bold flavor, strong)

any other mexican beer like Corona, Sol, XX Amber...garbage

I need to taste Model Special to find a category to put it on.

As a Mexican myself I can recommend LEON, sometimes found with pacifico or montejo, its very similar to Indio but with a bolder taste.

Tecate its my personal fav. highly recommended :thumbup1:, also if you can try XX amber a more serious taste than XX regular

There's a Seasonal beer called nochebuena (poinsettia) only available around xmas. if you can find it buy a case. It has the perfect taste for a cold winter.

Stay away from Corona and Estrella (specially from Estrella, tastes like a weak corona):mad3:

As a Mexican myself I can recommend LEON, sometimes found with pacifico or montejo, its very similar to Indio but with a bolder taste.

Tecate its my personal fav. highly recommended :thumbup1:, also if you can try XX amber a more serious taste than XX regular

There's a Seasonal beer called nochebuena (poinsettia) only available around xmas. if you can find it buy a case. It has the perfect taste for a cold winter.

Stay away from Corona and Estrella (specially from Estrella, tastes like a weak corona):mad3:

+1 Nochebuena is gooood.

I've never tried Leon, all those brands from the Pacific shore are just arriving Monterrey city...damn! I'll have to buy some Leon tomorrow :)

XX Amber, though I only have it when I'm out at the Mexican restaurant downtown, and even then I prefer their coffee.

Thanks for this information. I'll make a note to look for it this coming Christmas Season.

Cheers!

:thumbup:

+1 Nochebuena is gooood.

I've never tried Leon, all those brands from the Pacific shore are just arriving Monterrey city...damn! I'll have to buy some Leon tomorrow :)

you really should, in Mexico city you can find Leon Caguama (40-ounze), that speaks for its popularity.

when in Monterrey city my favorite is the legendary Carta Blanca, vintage, bitter and classic.

Last edited:
when my wife and I lived in Laredo we discovered this amber gem:

proxy.php

we would walk across the bridge to "La Mina" drink a few cold and then each bring back a case through customs as you couldn't buy it on the american side back then. If you can get it in the states now I sure wish I knew where. Love me some Indio and a parrillada.

Jumping in with my 2 pesos worth (from south of the border).

I prefer Sol for refreshment but Indio is a good brew as well. We also have a local beer called Victoria - never seen that one outside the state of Tamaulipas though.

Tecate & Corona - guacala! Dos Equis - meh. Pacifico - not too bad.

Stick with Negra Modelo, it is basically the best. Dos Equis Amber is also good, but definitely second to Negra Modelo. Pacifico is just as bad as Corona, but you feel less guilty drinking it. I loved Pacifico in high school, but realized a few years later it was awful. Also Dos Equis Lager is pretty weak, but refreshing. Maybe a slight step above Pacifico.

I think I was ok with Tecate, but I haven't had it in years.

Right now I am drinking Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. This kind of beer is in a different world than the Mexican beers mentioned above. Pure bliss.

:thumbup:

Top Bottom