What's new

Mexican beer

Used to drink Corona a lot...20 years ago, before I knew better. Now prefer Tecate, or Dos Equis. Negra Modelo is great as well. There's a Mexican restaraunt I frequent that has Dos Equis Amber on tap....It's served in a giant frozen Schooner glass, and I have them put salt and lime on the glass rim like a Margarita...it is perfecto.

I think I may have to pick up some Tecate today, the corner store seems to be having a sale on it and I never bothered because I'm not a fan of Corona. I'll give it a shot, maybe as a mid afternoon michelada tomorrow...

Jumping in with my 2 pesos worth (from south of the border).

I prefer Sol for refreshment but Indio is a good brew as well. We also have a local beer called Victoria - never seen that one outside the state of Tamaulipas though.

Tecate & Corona - guacala! Dos Equis - meh. Pacifico - not too bad.

you can find victoria easily in Mexico city an most of Mexico's central region, it's also a great brew :001_smile

I do enjoy Dos Equis with mexican food, as long as there is a mariachi band playing in the restaurant. :a5:

Rule #1: No fruit in beer.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I love Mexican beer.

I used to only drink Corona, which I still do here and there.

I never was a fan of Sol.

Dos Equis XX are better than Corona IMO if you can find them

Bohemia, Pacifico and Negra Modelo are well worth a try!

I love Mexican beer.

I used to only drink Corona, which I still do here and there.

I never was a fan of Sol.

Dos Equis XX are better than Corona IMO if you can find them

Bohemia, Pacifico and Negra Modelo are well worth a try!

That's the problem with living in Iowa- since Mexican beers are imports, they're all jacked up to $8 or more for a six pack. Irrespective of quality. Corona and Negra Modelo are priced the same, but sure don't taste anywhere near the same league as each other. I really don't feel like blowing 8-10 bucks on crap beer, hence the thread :)

Thanks everyone for your input!

When it comes to Mexican beer, I love Negra Modelo. It was the beer responsible for bringing back the Vienna Lager.

Luc

Staff member
That's the problem with living in Iowa- since Mexican beers are imports, they're all jacked up to $8 or more for a six pack. Irrespective of quality. Corona and Negra Modelo are priced the same, but sure don't taste anywhere near the same league as each other. I really don't feel like blowing 8-10 bucks on crap beer, hence the thread :)

Thanks everyone for your input!

You could also brew it!

Luc

Staff member
Luc where do you get these from in Australia? I've never seen them.

I happened to try those in a Mexican Restaurant in Fitzroy close to Melbourne called Los Amates. Best Mexican food I ever had.

The owner is probably getting them from a bottle shop close by but didn't find it. Dos Equis is fairly easy to find in Oz but Bohemia, Pacifico and Negra Modelo are a bit more difficult. I think I came across Negra Modelo at an independant bottle shop.

I never ordered from them but there's the http://www.beerstore.com.au/

Try them all. I used to live in New Mexico, about as close to the border as one can get.

I am partial to Tecate in the can and Modelo Esp. in the can.

I know a lot of people who also like Carta Blanca and Sol, but they don't really turn my crank.

Negra Modelo is the best mexican beer I have found in the states. I love it with a lime... I know your not suppose to fruit the beer but, I like limes. They remind me of summer and taste great.

Sol and pacifico are on par with corona. Pretty much no taste what so ever. The bud lights of mexican beer...that being said ill still drink them over a bud light.

Luc

Staff member
I bought a six pack of Dos Equis XX to try. What a waste of money:angry:

Which one did you get? Amber or blonde? The Amber is much better than the blonde

Top Bottom