What's new

Mexican aftershave Don Jose Grisi

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK. After spending holidays visiting in South Florida, I always check out ethnic shaving sections of local stores/tiendas.

I found this excellent (and cheap @$2.98/12 oz.) bay rum, which I reported on last week: Dr. Sana (thread here).

But on the way out of town, I scored an excellent gel aftershave, Don Jose Grisi.

full

This name is utterly new to me and I personally can't recall any Mexican shave products in high usage here. Anyways.

The ingredient list was very, very good, so I gave it a try just now.

full

Don't know if you can read from the small photo, but it has glycerin, aloe, carbomer, menthol, chamomile, marigold, camphor, arnica, argan oil, and just a bunch of other good stuff.

The review:

I don't love menthol, though I admit it works well. With camphor too, this Don Jose Grisi stuff goes on to cool, and smells good too. With all those botanicals, it has to do some face-healing. I don't think they forgot any, except maybe the Alpine flower in Speick!

I actually prefer splashes of the high-alcohol variety. But I do use balms after a rough shave. This one seems to be a winner - if you can find it! Don Jose Grisi is on Facebook, but as of this moment the website is choking from bandwidth overload. Interesting.

Grisi seems to be a Mexican line of health and beauty products; I assume this is the male line for "barba y bigote."

It's good. If you like balms or gels, try and find it.

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. After a few weeks this stuff has become my go-to after a rough shave.

The camphor-menthol combo might remind of Vicks Vaporub, but like the medicine, works.

After upping my game to a Timeless Ti95 OC - from the Ti68 scalloped - getting some very close shaves. This obscure Mexican aftershave with its cornucopia of skin food ingredients is definitely helping.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I would buy this if I saw it! Never encountered it in any of my Mexican stores.

I bought it in a Publix supermarket in Miami, if that helps.

It does absorb completely; some balms leave you greasy. This one puts out fires!

AA

I bought it in a Publix supermarket in Miami, if that helps.

When I Googled, I could see that Publix appears to be the main (if not only) U.S. distributor. It's not on Amazon as yet.

I took a look at the Grisi (unfortunate rhyme in English) website.
It alludes to a long history in Mexico, but looking at the modern packaging and marketing, it appears that the line has gotten some kind of higher-level corporate backing.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
When I Googled, I could see that Publix appears to be the main (if not only) U.S. distributor. It's not on Amazon as yet.

I took a look at the Grisi (unfortunate rhyme in English) website.
It alludes to a long history in Mexico, but looking at the modern packaging and marketing, it appears that the line has gotten some kind of higher-level corporate backing.
Thanks for the update. I really like it; it's something different and it works well.

Names are funny; Grisi and greasy have different accent points ....GREEsi as opposed to gree_cy. But it's their name! Nothing can be done but shrug.

AA

The brand is an old household one that mainly sold specialty soaps and shampoos, the kind the people use to cure acne, burn marks and even a shampoo to make babies hair blondier! This Don José line is relatively new and emerged in time with the Classic barbershop trend, they focus mainly in beard products but the AS lines are very good as OP testified. It is one of the non alcoholic AS that I can use without feeling too greasy after using it...

Cheers

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nice review.! It shows how we are getting hosed on aftershaves. For 12oz at 3 bucks it shows how much profit the other guys are making as well. :mad5:
No, that was the Dr. Sana bay rum I ALSO found.

This Don Jose Grisi was around $5-6 for 3 oz. balm. Both were worth it!

AA

BTTT

This saved my face the other day, after a brutal matchup with a new Feather.

6-0, my face lost to The Weepers!

AA

Today I found a sale of the entire brand and scored one Don Jose and one Grisi Men, the Grisi Men is the cheaper option, not bad but not great... No wonder the Don Jose 100 ml cost more than the 200 ml of the Grisi Men...
IMG_20200302_173638_690.jpg
IMG_20200302_173638_689.jpg
Cheers

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Today I found a sale of the entire brand and scored one Don Jose and one Grisi Men, the Grisi Men is the cheaper option, not bad but not great... No wonder the Don Jose 100 ml cost more than the 200 ml of the Grisi Men...
View attachment 1069580
View attachment 1069581
Cheers

The one I have, I would definitely re-buy. Odd but very good.

That window-package is different than mine ... A hard to find item, for sure.

AA

The one I have, I would definitely re-buy. Odd but very good.

That window-package is different than mine ... A hard to find item, for sure.

AA
The Grisi Men is different formulation, it came in a nice dispenser bottle but the ingredients are cheaper... Gonna give it to my son..

Cheers

Top Bottom