What's new

Metal handle - antique store find

I found this sad, very vintage old brush in a small-town antique store recently. It caught my eye because it's a very solid metal brush handle and the band across the middle appeared to be brass, but it was hard to tell because all of that black was obviously caked on shave soap and everything else that it may have come in contact with. Actually, it cleaned up much better than I had let myself hope, so now I need to order a new knot for it... appears to be 24mm. After cleaning and polishing, it's more of a silver color than I expected since I had expected it to be brass. Maybe it is, but I just can't tell. It doesn't feel like cheap pot metal , it's slick and heavy. If anyone has an idea what it's made of, tell me what you think.
P1010452.JPG

P1010456.JPG

P1010455.JPG

Pewter can be smooth - but not heavy. Does a magnet stick to it?

A magnet doesn't stick to it at all. As I look at it today, it appears to be the color of bronze. I don't know why it appeared more of a silver color right after I cleaned it with a metal cleaner (MAAS), but today it is definitely bronze color. I have some pewter items and they have a different feel to my unprofessional eye and touch. It looks so bronze today that I have to assume it's bronze, but I could easily be assuming wrong. Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it and am open to more.

A magnet doesn't stick to it at all. As I look at it today, it appears to be the color of bronze. I don't know why it appeared more of a silver color right after I cleaned it with a metal cleaner (MAAS), but today it is definitely bronze color. I have some pewter items and they have a different feel to my unprofessional eye and touch. It looks so bronze today that I have to assume it's bronze, but I could easily be assuming wrong. Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it and am open to more.

Sorry... I meant brass, not bronze

Copper plus other stuff. Likely brass. I think bronze would be heavier than brass. love the green patina. I wonder why the band appeared? I would let it go back to green. Cool find. Thanks for sharing. I will be searching for something like it in antique and thrift stores. All about the journey

Top Bottom