What's new

Meštar - Bagulina - a Croatian shaving soap review

So about 2 weels ago I got myself 2 new soaps, 1 of them was Meštar shaving soap from Croatia in Bagulina scent. Slovenian website Anticatura (no affiliation feel free to remove if innapropriate) sells.it for 13, 85€ VAT included + shipping and aditional coats (like customs charges) for 130 gram hard puck in plastic tub. It is a pretty big soap.
Website describes scent as
MAŠTAR shaving soap reminds
BAGULINA with its scent to the sea freshness with a woody note of cedar and pine. To me it smells a bit perfumey and artifical, I don't get any pine but I am bed at detecting and identifiying smells let alone describing it. But I still kinda enjoyed it.
Soap does not have tallow but I don't know if it's vegan and honestly I am not really interested. I didn't care about that when I bought it and looked at ingredients after first shave. Generally I prefer tallow soaps.
Shave itself was pretty enjoyable. I gave it a good itense loanding, maybe 10 seconds. It pdoduced verry slick lather, comparable to any big name in slickness game. It was rather low structure and runny lather that offered generous amount of protection even if it didn't look like it would. I was generous with water I might add and I spent maybe a minute actually building lather.
I did my standard 2.5 pass shave with Rockwell 6S plates 6/4/2 and Nacet on 2nd shave, this is only razor and blade combo that I use.
Poat shve as as usual water rinse, alum, clean gear, rinse alum, dry and aplly Old Spice.
Shave was incredibly close and smooth with no iritation or aftershave burn. It left my face decently hydrated and smooth, smidge dry to the touch but I like it that way, I don't like if my face feels sticky as it did with WMF (more in my other review of that soap).

I would definitely recommend this soap, I think it's a bargain and if you don't look for profound scent experience I would give it a go.

16463287994592555289013403046689.jpg

Ingredients look surprisingly good! The pine smell should be coming from the juniper, I believe, and the cedar is listed higher so might be stronger. Then again, parfum is listed even higher and whatever that is might overwhelm the other two.

Nice review, how it's compared to other soaps you've used? How much of it you spend so far? Would be interested in such info. I've been still scratching the surface of Stirling soap and my Cella also seems no wear signs after 2 months ☺️.

Top Bottom