What's new

Messin' With Scales

Looking at some of Buddel's scales here lately reminded me of how much fun it was to play around with different scale configurations. Making these was a nice diversion from the norm for me.

The first set of amboyna burl and yellow heart just needs a spacer and a blade to make it go. The others are shown in preparation to have liners epoxied on. All are amboyna burl and ebony wood. Once the liners have been applied, I make both scales the same profile and the same thickness. Then the sides are contoured and sanded to 1,500 grit. Following that is a temporary stay on the end of a popcicle stick to get a thick gloss coat of acrylic. That is followed by additional sanding to 1,500 and some up close and personal time on the buffer.

After that, they are off to find a lonely blade somewhere to give it a home.

proxy.php

This is really funny. I´m actually working also at an set of such scales after some time.
One question, why the liners? Optical aspects or you mean its necessary for the stable of the scales?

Very cool looking scales...but help me out...how do you cut the two pieces to get them to fit together so well?

Very cool looking scales...but help me out...how do you cut the two pieces to get them to fit together so well?

By stacking 4 scale blanks on top of each other, cutting with a scroll saw, then swapping the 8 pieces around.

If you look, there are "negative image" versions of each scale.

proxy.php

This is really funny. I´m actually working also at an set of such scales after some time.
One question, why the liners? Optical aspects or you mean its necessary for the stable of the scales?
The liners are for stability. The amboyna burl isn't strong enough on its own for scales because it has not been stabilized. The ebony helps out a lot, but I didn't want to take a chance that they might break.

nice scales, I would love to add some to my collection
and Bud Lime makes another appearance :lol:
As a person gets older things change. My taste buds accept a lot of things these days and they are part of that change. Since I don't do beer for a buzz, I actually drink it because of the way it tastes.

By stacking 4 scale blanks on top of each other, cutting with a scroll saw, then swapping the 8 pieces around.

Well, you have the right idea, but I don't use 4 pieces. I use two different materials that are slightly more than 1/4 inch thick. (Less parts... fewer potential problems.) I flatten one side of each scale, use double-sided tape to keep them together and cut the design out on my scroll saw. Once that is done, I swap the pieces around to give the contrast and epoxy them in place. Once the epoxy cures, I separate the two pieces and then cut them pretty much down the middle, thus making the 4 halves for the two sets of scales.

Very nice looking stuff there Bill. Looks like you been rather busy as of late.

Now, I can just imagine how these will look when you match them up with some of your fine tooling worked blades.

As always, well done sir!

Mr. Ellis, thanks for the pictures and documentation -- this is really neat to see. (So is the finished product, of course!)

Well, you have the right idea, but I don't use 4 pieces. I use two different materials that are slightly more than 1/4 inch thick. (Less parts... fewer potential problems.) I flatten one side of each scale, use double-sided tape to keep them together and cut the design out on my scroll saw. Once that is done, I swap the pieces around to give the contrast and epoxy them in place. Once the epoxy cures, I separate the two pieces and then cut them pretty much down the middle, thus making the 4 halves for the two sets of scales.

That was my second guess. :001_smile

I would have to do 4 pieces because I doubt that I could cut down the middle that accurately. :blush:

Thanks guys!

I don't think any work you've done has done less than drop my jaw. When I get some extra cash - and assuming you're not too busy - I'd love to order a custom str8 from you.

Here is a pic of the sander I use to flatten both steel and wood. It's a 9-inch disc. I also use it to make my butt spacers. Much of the debris you see on the sides of the framework is actually fingernail dust. :biggrin:
that's a joke, son, I say, that's a joke.

This is a pic of the scales after the liners have been glued in place. Then, I use double sided tape to hold them together. You must insure that the materials line up with each other on the edges rather than having the ends match up at this stage.

Once that is done, then each set of scales is contoured to my taste, separated, and then hot-glued to a popsicle stick in prep for the acrylic coating.

Bill, you could hold weekly classes. You could get your photo in the local paper. You know, the one with the white shorts and Hawaiian shirt. :wink: :tongue_sm

Top Bottom