What's new

Messenger Bags

I'm investigating getting a messenger bag to carry work items and lunch. I would like something sturdy, long lasting, and reasonably priced. It should be able to fit a laptop also, and be at least water resistant.

Any recommendations?

I recently acquired this bag from vr-creatives in India through eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121534298825?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am very impressed for the price. It's goat leather (doesn't smell too much like dead goat) and it's tanned with sunflower oil. A week after I bought it I used some Leather Milk (www.leathermilk.com) to treat it and I am really pleased. It's a very classic look. The leather is soft and appears to be pretty durable (only had mine for about three weeks)

You might check out their eBay store - they have bags of various sizes. I plan on buying a couple more.

Patagonia frequently has online sales for their Black Hole messenger bags in discontinued colors. Fantastic bag.

I used nice leather messenger bags for years (Coach etc) but after a while I found they were too heavy so now I'm using nylon bags like Crumpler.

If you want nylon, Timbuk2 bags are great. I have two, and they really hold up. You can get really nice color combinations as well. I find it's less expensive to get a bag with a non-padded computer slot and buy a neoprene sleeve to slide in. You can take the sleeve and computer out if you wish. The link is for the website, but prices are better on Amazon. You can also create a custom bag.

Another vote for Saddleback. Beautiful bags that will last forever, but they aren't cheap.

In the waterproof/nylon category there's Rickshaw Bagworks. Very well made and many friends of mine have had them for years.

Legion

Staff member
I like canvas bags. They have the light weight of nylon, but look a bit classic and vintage.

Nylon bags like Crumpler and Lowepro are most practical, especially if you cycle with them, but they look naff, IMO.

Big fan of Osprey bags. I am currently using a Contrail Courier. I have an Osprey day pack that got 10 years of daily tough use and will not die. The only reason I switched was because i wanted something different.

Lots of good suggestions. I have two messenger bags that I use for different purposes. I had researched my choices and decided to buy a Timbuk2 and was prepared to order. I figured I would check Ebay on a lark. I found some barely used bags for a huge discount. I shopped around for a week or so and found the exact bag I wanted to order in excellent shape for $23 shipped.

I later purchased a new vintage canvas/leather LL Bean messenger bag for $12 shipped.

I couldn't be happier. Many people get bags as gifts and don't use them and later sell them on Ebay. Whatever you decide to buy you may give Ebay a check before you order.

Last edited:
I love Tom Bihn bags. Extremely lightweight, and rugged as can be. The quality of the workmanship is impeccable. Handmade in Seattle. I own five of them.

Filson, saddlebag, and timbuk2 ahve all been mentioned but are worth mentioning again. Very well established brands. Also Blue Claw, Duluth Bag, and Beckel.

If you want to go a little cheaper, great deals can be had at Wilson's Leather shops. These arent legacy items you will hand down to your kids but they should last you long enough to get your moneys worth, plus some. Fossil bags pop up at Marshalls/TJ Maxx?Nordstrom rack type stores all the time too. There are also Fossil outlet stores. Way overpriced MSRP but deep discounts put them int he $100 range sometimes.

The J Crew Abingdon bag is a nice canvas option too at about $100

Ogio is a great value; all purpose, Briggs & Riley more executive. Oakley more sporty. Swiss Army ( victorinox, not wenger are great ) REI has some good options.

Top Bottom