What's new

Messed up trimming mustache line. Now what!?

Thinking about it, I would let it grow out for a full month and start using wax in about a week or so to train it. You can cheat by cutting with it waxed, you just follow the line of your lips. After the wax wears off, you can look at the shape and it will give you an idea of how to maintain it and then you can start using more advanced techniques. The ends take a specific technique, it is better to let them grow wild until you have more confidence IMHO.

Thinking about it, I would let it grow out for a full month and start using wax in about a week or so to train it. You can cheat by cutting with it waxed, you just follow the line of your lips. After the wax wears off, you can look at the shape and it will give you an idea of how to maintain it and then you can start using more advanced techniques. The ends take a specific technique, it is better to let them grow wild until you have more confidence IMHO.
From the confidence standpoint, it can be tough at times because I work as a graphic designer in an office dedicated to financial advisors. Looking the part while feeling like trash can be a real challenge. lol

I have had a mustache for many years and have always just let it grow back if I don't perfectly trim it. Personally, I don't think it looks bad. In fact, I doubt anyone would see that it wasn't perfectly trimmed. I don't see the mistake or mistakes myself.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
For decades, I have considered facial hair as "makeup for men." Put it on, take it off, try different things. It's all good.
Let it grow back; you are probably the only one going to think it doesn't look right.

From the confidence standpoint, it can be tough at times because I work as a graphic designer in an office dedicated to financial advisors. Looking the part while feeling like trash can be a real challenge. lol
I know where you are coming from, I have over cut many times. I used to have a beard and that was many times harder to keep looking neat. Finding a tutorial, after letting it grow, and making weekly trims and establishing a routine should get the job done and help your confidence at the same time. As long as your upper lip is visible, nobody will be analysing your moustache. Once you get into a larger size then it is more demanding because if you slack, you will look like a hobo. Some times people ask a barber to help them get started with the shape and then just try their best to follow what they did. There are simple techniques, but they are harder to describe than to watch. Use the proper scissors, not an electric trimmer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Salty Spider : we DO NOT do mocking here. Unless you count me mocking myself, or these weird yahoos that pick on me FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON!

Well, I have been mocked recently because I admitted after over 5 years of wasting everyone's time on here I STILL have no idea how to hilight, or italisize, or anything else on my TracFone, so I took a little bit of sass for that.

Yeah, I get about half of the respect I deserve around here!

So if you DO happen to get picked on, you will just know that you have arrived.

That is how @T Bone knew he was one of the Kool kids!

For many years , once it was a pain to trim it to look good....my solution was: shave it all off!!! You look younger.....keep it off for a while and then up it goes.....

Then one day, many years later I decided to grow it all for 4months.....now that is different...... wicked beard. And then Covid came and all off again.....

Long story short. I am a first time mustache grower and I trimmed the top line of my mustache with a new razor that took off too much now I’m faced with the question of shave it off and retry or gather what I have, deal with the top growing in, sticking out again? What to do? Any advice, ideas, help, or just general support on how to shape this thing works be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
It looks fine, you may end up liking it that style

strop

Now half as wise
Step away from all cutting/trimming devices. You want a stache…leave it alone. Top hairs will blend in eventually. Just rock what you’ve got going on. It will all work out in the end.

This is the best advice youcan get for now. Let it grow. There will be some rough spots and "growing pains" but scissors are your worst enemy. My rule is to never trim off more than 1/8 inch from one side. And never the middle, only the very tips of the handlebar.

Unless you want a pencil-line moustache, the best course is to trim as little as possible. Wax, Got2B, etc will help keep hair out of your mouth and keep you sane while things are growing. Patience, patience, patience.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I cant see anything wrong with it and my classes aren't broken and work just fine I think. Although my wife seems to look 5 years younger in this past couple of months

Top Bottom