What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

A new Anova was unwrapped Christmas morning!
proxy.php

Now thats awesome! Great unit.

After eyeing these pans up in the January sales for the past couple of years I just bit the bullet and bought a full set of triple ply, copper clad pans. Time to throw out all the random junk that's been accumulated over the years!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The wife lent out our butchers steak knife just before Christmas.:mad3: She bought it from work so I could not say too much.
I know it would have been returned (at some stage) but this gave me the chance to look for something bigger, plus I want one NOW.
My eyes were looking at some Japanese slicers but then I found this locally. It is a mono purpose knife for me, cutting steaks from primal cut. So there is still room to buy a nice Japanese slicer for Ron.

Old hickory 14" butcher knife with wide tip. Photo with my 240mm Gyuto to show size.

The edge out of the box is rubbish but I expected that at the price. Just hope it can retain a good edge. I will hone it up in the weekend.
The handle may get a sanding as well, as it is a bit square. I think when that is done I will force a patina on the blade.

$20160126_162425.jpg

The edge out of the box is rubbish but I expected that at the price. Just hope it can retain a good edge.

Nice Chris!

I think you'll enjoy it. You may find it is pretty easy to put a really great edge on, but that it doesn't hold that edge all that long. That's a trade off I'm willing to make any day. I love a screaming sharp edge, even if it takes a bit of maintanence. I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy.

Ken

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice Chris!

I think you'll enjoy it. You may find it is pretty easy to put a really great edge on, but that it doesn't hold that edge all that long. That's a trade off I'm willing to make any day. I love a screaming sharp edge, even if it takes a bit of maintanence. I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy.

Ken

I had a quick go at thinning the bevel on it last night. It showed the bevel was slightly concave and very uneven, with high and low spot the length of the blade.
I'm confident it will hold a nice edge once refined.
I have a whole Rib Eye Roll and a Rump that needs cutting into steaks, so will take it through its paces in the weekend.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have started to grab something similar several times at Academy Sports. Keep putting it back for some reason, I love stuffed jalapeños and really ought to pick one up.

The recipe that comes in the box is stuffed peppers with crab and cream cheese....oh my.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice Chris!

Ken

I took it to the hones and thinned out the bevel. That took quite a bit of work (I need a better low grit hone) but I beat it into shape.
It has taken a nice edge.

$20160130_201530.jpg

Top Bottom