What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Our KA blender konked out, so we splurged before the kitchen reno starts.

Here it is after it's first run with a Fruit Smoothie.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1424097628264.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1424097628264.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Nice Bruce! What do you think of it so far?
It only got used once, but we were all amazed at how quick it made the smoothies and there was zero stalling or use of the plunger. Seems to he a bigger capacity as we all got smoothies from one batch. Clean up was a breeze too with less parts on the base, nothing to take apart, no seal ring.

I think were going to like it. One of my wife's friends is also going on and on about hers and how great it is.

We got it at Costco. Never thought I'd spend that kind of cash on a blender but if it lasts 7 years opposed to the $150 KA we replaced every 2 to 3 years, it will pay off. When I researched, some were using it pretty much daily and going on 10y+.

Broke down and ordered some new pots... photo from web until they get here!

Very nice. I better not show those to my wife :blush:

We have only seen the AllClad a few times locally buy they seem like world class cookware.

Last edited:
When I researched, some were using it pretty much daily and going on 10y+.

Plus, if it does stop working after 7 or 10 years, they have a great service department. Often times, whatever breaks can be fixed for less than buying a new unit.

We've had ours for more than a year and use it at least 1-2x/day. The thing that really blows my mind is getting hot soup out of the blender when it didn't start out hot to begin with.

I've been after one of these for a while -

$cleaver.jpg

A Chan Chi Kee Cutlery cleaver. Don't really know much about them, but a little Google searching reveals they're pretty highly thought of. This is a #2 slicer and it's not carbon steel, but whatever it is it took two hours to put an edge on it with the Lansky system - tough stuff! I already have two cleavers, but this one is just so much nicer :thumbup:

I seem to remember seeing carbon steel versions in the shop I bought it from (along with some of the more monstrous models that this place makes) so I'll have to keep an eye out

Our KA blender konked out, so we splurged before the kitchen reno starts.

Here it is after it's first run with a Fruit Smoothie.

When my wife came home with ours, I questioned her sanity due to the price you pay for a Vitamix. After the first time using it, I began to question my sanity for questioning hers. Great addition to the kitchen. Good luck with your reno!

Ordered a walnut end-grain butcher block from a shop on Etsy and it finally arrived. Weather has been an issue in those parts and the freeze slowed thing down a bit--totally understandable. The vendor is called Badger Butcher Block out of New Jersey. I ordered it 16"x22"x2". No branding. I added feet from The Board Smith since I like the ones he offers.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ordered a walnut end-grain butcher block from a shop on Etsy and it finally arrived. Weather has been an issue in those parts and the freeze slowed thing down a bit--totally understandable. The vendor is called Badger Butcher Block out of New Jersey. I ordered it 16"x22"x2". No branding. I added feet from The Board Smith since I like the ones he offers.

View attachment 553917

View attachment 553918

Damn fine lookin' board.

Thanks, fellas. I've got a fridge stocked with leftovers so I wasn't able to use it yesterday. Life is cruel that way. My 2 year old daughter beat on it with a rubber spatula but I'm not sure that counts.

I could think of worse things to spend my money on. In fact, I can think of worse things I *have* spent my money on. I can see how one could get bit by BBAD.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Picked up a 6 in Farber Ware ceramic knife at Wally World last night. If it is worth a hoot I will buy a smaller one to go with it.

I buy a lot of bulk meat so this will get used alot. Thinking of buying a carton of Chuck approx. 22kg/48lb and making it into some diced chuck and mince.
We've started doing more of that too. I just pulls out a big roast for Saturday to throw on the rotisserie. Looking through the bag, there is not a speck of ice or freezer burn.

You USA guys have more options for aftermarket bags online but we found Costco to be the best when they are on sale or the Cabella's ones are good too

Top Bottom