What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Jeez, Bruce. That looks like the thing they give you novacaine with at the dentist's office.

Maybe open up a little dental shop to offset the cost of the kitchen remodel. :lol:

The first warning on the package is "This is not a medical device. Use as food seasoning injector only" :tongue_sm

I've never really injected meat, but had some Christmas Fun money and it was $25 shipped from Amazon, Stainless, two different needles and holds 3 oz.

Hopefully I get a chance to actually use it.

I am quite happy to say that I am now the proud owner of my Grandmothers #10 Wagner cast iron skillet! My Mother gave it to me a couple of days ago. She is 84 years old and has no idea how old the pan is. All I know is that its in great shape and I am beyond proud to have it in my kitchen!

Someday I will pass it on to one of my kids but I hope they have to wait a long, long time to get it from me...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am quite happy to say that I am now the proud owner of my Grandmothers #10 Wagner cast iron skillet! My Mother gave it to me a couple of days ago. She is 84 years old and has no idea how old the pan is. All I know is that its in great shape and I am beyond proud to have it in my kitchen!

Someday I will pass it on to one of my kids but I hope they have to wait a long, long time to get it from me...

I wish I had my grandparent's cast iron. I need to ask my uncle about this one of these days.

I used mine for the first time today. A couple of Angus NY strip steaks from frozen and a chicken breast for my wife. Two hours Sous Vide and then a quick sear. The best steak I've ever cooked.

The Anova One is a bit larger than the pic previously presented.
View attachment 534522
I ordered the ANOVA Precision last night. A friend of mine has been posting amazing results on her FB page. Several of us have ended up purchasing.
http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

Some Cane Sugar syrups for making soda.

There is a container of Root Beer chilling in the fridge for me right now. :tongue_sm

$IMG_20150129_154912 (Large).jpg

Congrats. That's gotta feel some nice. Enjoy using it!

I picked up a beat up old wagner pan at a thrift store for a few bucks the other day. Here it is after one day soaked in oven cleaner. It's gonna take another few rounds to get it all the way clean, it was pretty grimy. The cooking surface came clean quickly and is nice and smooth, the back and sides are going to take some work, worth saving though. I'll post pictures again once it's finished.
View attachment 546090

Attachments

• $photo 1-1.jpg
    $photo 1-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 119
  • $photo 2-1.jpg
    $photo 2-1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 118
Our first of many, Kitchen Reno purchases.

A GE Induction, Convection Range. We looked long and hard and this is the one we decided on. It has to be a slide in/drop in, with no back panel as it's going in an island. Deliver not for another month or so, but ordered.

Last edited:
A walnut end grain cutting board is being created for me by a boardmaker on Etsy. I decided to treat my knives right. I've never owned an end grain board so I'm quite excited. Dimensions are 16x22 and 2 inches thick. I'll get feet from The Board Smith since those are the most presentable I've seen.

I went to the market to get onions and peppers for roasting sausages this evening. The knife guy was in the parking lot under his tent with Tormecs on either side of him and a table full of knives. Got to talking and there was nothing on the table that was drawing me in. Then he reached back and pulled out a relic of a Dexter from a tub of various implements that had not yet been restored. I couldn't resist the forged appeal and carbon steel. So I paid him $50 for the knife and he put a new edge on it. I removed the rust and signs of neglect, hit the handle with some steel wool, and here it is.

A Dexter 48910.

$image.jpg

I went to the market to get onions and peppers for roasting sausages this evening. The knife guy was in the parking lot under his tent with Tormecs on either side of him and a table full of knives. Got to talking and there was nothing on the table that was drawing me in. Then he reached back and pulled out a relic of a Dexter from a tub of various implements that had not yet been restored. I couldn't resist the forged appeal and carbon steel. So I paid him $50 for the knife and he put a new edge on it. I removed the rust and signs of neglect, hit the handle with some steel wool, and here it is.

A Dexter 48910.

Sweet! Love to see an old knife get a new life.

A free cast iron from my folks. They don't use it anymore and knew I wanted it.

The finish on the cooking surface is like glass. Its got a wood handle, so won't go on the BBQ.

Findlay, 90, Made in Canada, Carleton Place Ont. It's likely older then me based on the last one being made in 1974.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1423619195889.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1423619195889.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 82
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1423619244026.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1423619244026.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Calphalon roasting pan, $50 in the Bed Bath and Beyond clearance bin. It sure is big, but better too big than too small, right?

proxy.php

Top Bottom