What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Took advantage of Korin's 20% off sale on Knives an have a Suisin Inox Paring knife on the way (to match the Gyuto I already have)!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I found an old 10" French Chefs knife in a second hand shop, which I plan on cleaning up and putting back to work.

View attachment 1230585
A late sixties or early seventies LeJeune? Over time I have taken mine to a more accute bevel like the bevel on a Japanese gyuto. It has taken nicely to the subtle modification from patient use of water stones. It is a terrific knife. The blade has enough length to make short work of the biggest jobs, it is light enough to be extremely nimble and not fatiguing, it has enough elongation on the belly to handle chopping as well as rocking, and it has a fine enough point that you do not need to change to a paring knife to core a tomato. It is a true fait tout.

So . . . my Big Joe was lonely, so we decided to adopt. Meet Little Joe . . .
LJ3.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The cooking wine is a big no-no in regular cooking or French cooking. But this looks like an exception to the rule I need to do some more research for my stirfry’s etc.

From what I understand it's one of the most used ingredients in Chinese cooking.

Not used as much (at least by me), but the western 'equivalent' (if you will) would be dry sherry.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I purchased a few goodies from the pampered chef. Yeah my sister-in-law did a little one of those parties. So I bought the shears, the hamburger masher, And the silicone tongs. The taco holders are stainless steel and came in a six pack. I only needed two so the neighbors and whoever is going to get the other two. They are the bomb.
D488455D-62D2-43E2-B3B9-D92218FAEBA4.jpeg

Generally, the cooking wine just has salt added to it so you can't drink it. Although, both of the brands I've bought have a barely noticeable salty taste when I've tasted them.

Without a doubt, the Staub pot we bought a few months back is the single best purchase ever made. I like to make stews, soups, stir-frys & curries and this thing just rocks for single pot meals. Have probably used it 30X now, a frequency higher and in a shorter period of time than anything else we own except the knives. Have not even tried it yet as a Dutch oven but it has a drip-drop lid so it should be great. And clean-up a breeze, it's porcelain over cast-iron. Worth every penny but we waited until there was an online sale, added a bonus coupon, bought during tax-free weekend, and got free shipping too. Knocked well over $100 off the price -

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not sure if this count or not.. but people guests were coming and my wife decided we would make try a bunch of new indian food recipies (including home made naan). Everthing seems to be coming together and I sit the dough on the top of the espresso machine for the first rise. I have an hour before the guests arrive and we lament we have not seen the rolling pin since the last move. I start looking around and think maybe a wine bottle, or maybe a glass would work. I decide to duck out to the shop to avoid more last minute chores. I see a chunk of wood that I was using to test out a froe. It was oddly rectangular ... 🤔

I chuck it up in the lathe and chips start flying. I sand it and am applying a coat of bees wax when the guest walk up the drive and see me. I was expecting a car but they left it at the gate because "we had sheep in our drive..." I shut down the lathe and walk them to the house.

PXL_20210723_002750744.jpg

It isn't as fancy as the store bought ones but it did the job and hanging out on the covered deck sipping coffee post dinner made it all worth it.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Not sure if this count or not.. but people guests were coming and my wife decided we would make try a bunch of new indian food recipies (including home made naan). Everthing seems to be coming together and I sit the dough on the top of the espresso machine for the first rise. I have an hour before the guests arrive and we lament we have not seen the rolling pin since the last move. I start looking around and think maybe a wine bottle, or maybe a glass would work. I decide to duck out to the shop to avoid more last minute chores. I see a chunk of wood that I was using to test out a froe. It was oddly rectangular ... 🤔

I chuck it up in the lathe and chips start flying. I sand it and am applying a coat of bees wax when the guest walk up the drive and see me. I was expecting a car but they left it at the gate because "we had sheep in our drive..." I shut down the lathe and walk them to the house.

View attachment 1301604

It isn't as fancy as the store bought ones but it did the job and hanging out on the covered deck sipping coffee post dinner made it all worth it.

I don't know which I like better, your impromptu rolling pin or the story that goes with it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom