What's new

Merry Christmas B&B! A Special Gift To You

Merry Christmas Badger & Blade!

As an extra special gift for the holiday season, I've decided to give something back to the community that has given me so much in the short time that I've been visiting here. I present to you the Open Shave License (OSL) and a little something extra.

Open Shave License:
Any recipe presented under this license is to be considered freely available to the general public and anyone using the recipe is entitled to change and or modify the recipe in full or in part as they see fit. The recipe is free for both private and commercial use. It is to be understood that any person or entity presenting a recipe under the Open Shave License (OSL) requests that any new recipes derived from the original recipe bear some form of acknowledgement to its origin.

And now, without further ado, I present to you:

Uncle Albert's Amazing Solid Cream Shaving Cake -- Atreides Scent

(This recipe presented under the OSL)
4oz. Life of the Party(tm) Natural Clear Olive Oil Soap (Special Suspension Formula)
25 drops Lemon EO
25 drops Jasmine EO
10 drops Lime EO
30 drops Clove EO
15 drops Allspice EO
15 drops Anise EO
20 drops Lavender EO
15 drops Cedarwood EO
35 drops Sandalwood/Vanilla FO
35 drops Almond Oil
1/2 teaspoon Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (Bentonite)

Mix the oils in a small cup.
Melt the soap base thoroughly.
Stir in clay until well dispersed.
Stir in oil mixture.
Pour into mold.
Wait impatiently for soap to harden.
Remove from mold.
Place puck in mug.
Lather.
Shave.
Enjoy!

Is this the "Uncle Albert's?" WOW! What a great present. I no longer have any excuse to fight the urge and not make my own shaving soap. The only problem is I just got a sampler from Colleen at TGQ. Too much stuff, not enough time . . . or face!

Thanks, Micah! You are one generous guy, to share your formula with the group.

A warning to all that read this thread: DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT make this soap. If you do and you try it, you will suddenly believe that all other shaving soaps are worthless and you will fill your trash with hundreds of dollars of shaving soaps and creams. The only thing better than the scent is the lather. You have been warned.

PS: Thanks for the Christmas gift, Micah! :wink: PSS: I still think Captain's Galley scent is even one step up from this one. :eek:

I still think Captain's Galley scent is even one step up from this one. :eek:

Maybe I'll release that one on my birthday. Meanwhile, everybody get to posting some stuff under the Open Shave License! What's your secret formula for an awesome aftershave? Soap? Cologne?

This would cost me like 80-150 bucks to make!

Those EO's are pricey.

I'm working on a simpler scent that will only have about 3 or 4 EOs...

It'd be nice if someone who really knew what they were doing (Sue? Are you around?) were to take this recipe and adapt it to its bare essentials. I'm not sure how you could replicate the smell with fewer EOs but you could certainly reduce the portions, meaning more pucks from one set of scents.

Well I am up to purchase some of this soap from anyone who decided to make some. From all the hype it sounds like a winner.

Well I am up to purchase some of this soap from anyone who decided to make some. From all the hype it sounds like a winner.

I really owe alot of the success of this soap to the base. It's loaded with olive oil and something that makes the clay "float" throughout the puck, it's great stuff to start with, and it makes a pretty darn good lather without any additives.

At one time, I actually toyed with the idea of selling this stuff for about $6 to $10 a puck, but I just don't have the upfront time or resources... I was kind of hoping maybe one of the Sues would see this thread and replicate it so everyone would have a chance to enjoy the same shave I do. :w00t:

I figured as easy as it is to make, somebody would try it sooner or later. I'm really hoping that some others get to give it a shot, I'm anxious to hear how it works for others.

What I'm really anxious about, though, is the idea of an Open Shave License. I really hope that it catches on and we start to see some other recipes released under the OSL. It'd be exciting to see what kinds of adaptations others might make to each other's recipes. For instance, if you wanted to substitute Peppermint for Clove or maybe drop half the EOs in Atreides, you might come up with something entirely awesome in its own right. Remember, under OSL the formula is yours to fiddle with!

Just out of curiosity have you experimented with any of the other Life of the Party soap bases? I noticed there are a few different ones, also where did you buy your EO's at?

Just out of curiosity have you experimented with any of the other Life of the Party soap bases? I noticed there are a few different ones, also where did you buy your EO's at?

I've not really tried the others for shaving soap, but they do make excellent soaps. I really like that particular one because of the suspension formula. I get my EOs at a local organic store called The Granary, but I think you can get them from sites like GloryBee. Without getting up and walking into the kitchen to see, I believe the brand I use is "Now."

SWMBO and I just tried a soap recipe...and to say the least...it stinks to high heaven. I'm going to try to throw a couple pucks in the oven and 'quick cure' them or whatever it's called. If it kills the rancidity of the soap, I'll post a recipe here. She's all sorts of excited to be making soap...so I feel my wallet lightening as she's going crazy...buying up tons of lye and stearic acid and oils and fats and.......you get the idea.

Top Bottom