What's new

Merlthod Edge Vs. Jnat Edge

The same way... or have I misunderstood the question? The razors in question are a Rolls Razor with spare blade, and a Darwin Universal Hollow Ground with spare blade. I don't think I quite got either of these two running in their prime, and I'm certain both need reworking for best results. They'll need their spines taping, as the spines are elevated off the strops in their respective mechanisms, but otherwise they'll tootle back and forth on the stones to refresh them when their integral systems aren't quite keeping the best edge.
Just ignorance on my part. I've never seen how you hone those, particularly how you would set the bevel angle. Curious now... shall Google...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just ignorance on my part. I've never seen how you hone those, particularly how you would set the bevel angle. Curious now... shall Google...

In its simplest context, hand hone slightly more acute than the system angle, and let the system put a microbevel on it. A couple of layers of electrical tape is all that's needed to get close

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Having corresponded with a couple of well known honemeisters I think there are people who tailor their honing to match the razor. There is at least one honing service that advertises different progressions and finishes and charges accordingly.

Interesting. Mind mentioning who?

This is an interesting post since the suggested wisdom is to have a new user send their razors out to be honed. Unless the person doing the hone has several methods and understands which to use, the same stones and methods will be applied to every razor they hone.

The reason you send it to someone who knows hones is they already know this and would have some selection to accommodate.
Hard stones, soft, natural and synthetic.
If they are honing with only one type of system I would not send my razors there.

The reason you send it to someone who knows hones is they already know this and would have some selection to accommodate.
Hard stones, soft, natural and synthetic.
If they are honing with only one type of system I would not send my razors there.

Yep, I suppose. No way of knowing unless you knew this in advance and most people sending out razors would think to ask.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yep, I suppose. No way of knowing unless you knew this in advance and most people sending out razors would think to ask.

Just from what I seem to read, everybody hones their own razors. Of course, if that were actually true nobody would call themselves a honemeister or have any honing business.

upload_2018-11-23_22-18-23.png

I always have to remember that some of my friends are, like me, BOSC and the others should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just from what I seem to read, everybody hones their own razors. Of course, if that were actually true nobody would call themselves a honemeister or have any honing business.

View attachment 930087

I always have to remember that some of my friends are, like me, BOSC and the others should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The categories seem to be:
1. Get a SR from a seller who sells shave ready.
2. Buy a razor and send it to a person who sharpens for a price
3. Bite the bullet and learn to hone your own SR.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The categories seem to be:
1. Get a SR from a seller who sells shave ready.
2. Buy a razor and send it to a person who sharpens for a price
3. Bite the bullet and learn to hone your own SR.

I've purchased several shave ready from eBay vendors + two Gold Dollars shave ready from honemeisters. I can't see they're any sharper than the razors I've honed.

Its funny, some razors just do not play well with certain stones.
The steel starts to show itself at around the 8k range for me (with scope) and that leads me as to what will give the best edge on it
If someone is interested in a certain type of edge to try usually 1 of what they send will work on it or a similar type of stone.
Some like hard stones only, some like softer.
I think it has as much to do with the steel as the honer and hones.
Its difficult really for someone who wants to try honing and buys say a coticule then does not get great results even though his technique was good. The same treatment with another razor might yield fantastic results.

everybody hones their own razors

Well, it is a rabbit hole of sorts, and ignoring a hole is just not done around here.

I do hear a name or two spoken around here when someone is needing a razor honed, but you don't Post much if you send yours out. Questions abound when your doing it.

Didn't mean to derail thread with other posts.
As far as The Method vs Jnat. I have never used the Method but I have used high grit synthetics and Jnats and have gotten perfect edges from both.
One is no better than the other - it is just a preference, usually a mental one.
Physically or tactilely, if both are done well, they are both great.

Here's where there is some confusion imo. A jnat edge means what? It can be Wicked sharp, or buttery mellow or anything in between depending on HOW the SAME razor on the SAME stone was finished.

Here's where there is some confusion imo. A jnat edge means what? It can be Wicked sharp, or buttery mellow or anything in between depending on HOW the SAME razor on the SAME stone was finished.
Japanese Natural Stones.

I don’t know that it means any thing because my films produced as good or better results on razors received having been honed on $1000 worth of rocks

Japanese Natural Stones.

I don’t know that it means any thing because my films produced as good or better results on razors received having been honed on $1000 worth of rocks
My point is people.talk about a jnat edge like it's some definitive thing. It is not. I don't care what anyone else uses. I used to use film also. Loved it at first but then realized that I liked something else better. As far as money goes? For the amount of razors.ive honed film would be pricey.

My point is people.talk about a jnat edge like it's some definitive thing. It is not. I don't care what anyone else uses. I used to use film also. Loved it at first but then realized that I liked something else better. As far as money goes? For the amount of razors.ive honed film would be pricey.
I’ve heard through the grape vine some members here sells stones which might explain the lack of objectivity regarding films. I mean, if the goal is to produce a sharp edge, does the means really matter? I’ll leave that up to you to decide. I’ve got a Thuringian coming Monday because I want something to touch up a shave ready blade.

Nothing wrong with film. Choices are good As far as objectivity goes I don't sell stones or anything else for that matter. If film is your thing then you won't have any argument from me. Use what you like. I think a thuri is probably going to underwhelm you as it isn't capable of producing a wickedly sharp edge like you can get with film.

Top Bottom