What's new

Merkur Vision 2000 vs. Gillette Slim

Gents, I have really enjoyed learning from the B&B community and this is my first post. My DE journey started 16 years ago. I've been solidly in the Merkur camp since. My rotation includes Futur, 34C and even a Parker 87R. Minora; Supermax Platinum and Bic blades. I have the chance to pull the trigger on a mint Slim with year code G3 in original box for $175 which for me in South Africa is R2650-00.

Help please:
Do I stay in Merkur territory or defect to team Gillette? Is there issues with maintenance long term with the Slim. Do the silos give hassles over time. What is the shave quality like - as on this forum I read a lot about mildness compared to Merkur that is much more aggressive.

I have a brand new Vision 2000 - unused. Do I sell this German "wonderkind" from Solingin or bring the Beast into circulation as a Slim alternative? Connery in the film Goldfinger shaving in the villian's jet with his Slim to look presentable for ***** Galore makes me nostalgic and keen to own a piece of adjustable history.

Slim is one of the best Gillette razors, I have tried. Like all the Gillettes I have used it is lighter than modern SS razors. The blade is not held as tight as on many modern razors either. However The Slim gives me a comfortable shave and depending on where I set it, from DFS to BBS. You might want to consider a lower price Slim to dip your toe into the Gillette Vintage pool however. I have 3 Slims and have not bought one in several years but remember them all being way under $100 US.

R

romsitsa

Hello! The Vision is still sought after, OOP and being zamak, prone to damage.
So you can either keep it more or less untouched and flip it or you can use it till it lasts.
In my book it’s rather an investment than a shaving tool.
The Gillette Slim is mild as are all Gillette adjustables, close to indestructable and relatively cheap. For even better deals you need only 25 quality posts and can use the marketplace here.

Brother FarmerTan,

Respectfully, I think you may be missing the point on the purpose of an adjustable razor. Your description of how you use an adjustable razor is the entire point and purpose of an adjustable razor!

I'm a "set it and leave it" guy too, but an adjustable razor enables me to find that one perfect aggressiveness for my unique whiskers, skin, and technique.

There's probably no non-adjustable razor that is 100% spot-on perfect for my face and whiskers (and I have 75 safety razors). Some may be very close, but not perfect.

An adjustable allows me to fine tune to perfection. And then I leave it there.

I have a Slim in my birth year. I would say there are no worries about the mechanical parts konking out. I think it is a very handsome razor, and I enjoy it, but not often. The Merkur Progress gives me a closer shave.

I think the Gillette adjustables are a triumph of engineering. They're complex little machines, so you'd expect them to break all the time, yet they're still out there in huge numbers being used daily for 60 years with no issues. The Slim, especially, is almost maintenance free. Nothing affects the shave, even if you don't ever clean it and soap scum and/or minerals build up. For Merkurs, I've only used the 34C for any length of time, but I find that a Slim at 2 or 3 is as mild as a 34C, but it's better at cutting hairs without tugging. Also, it's much louder and I enjoy the audio feedback from a shave.

Gents, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences. I'm catching that there's a real love for the Slim in the community. I do like what #Joner said - get one a little cheaper. That kind of works with my plan to grab a Progress as well, to make up the Merkur adjustable clan. Keep you posted when I get my Slim.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Brother FarmerTan,

Respectfully, I think you may be missing the point on the purpose of an adjustable razor. Your description of how you use an adjustable razor is the entire point and purpose of an adjustable razor!

I'm a "set it and leave it" guy too, but an adjustable razor enables me to find that one perfect aggressiveness for my unique whiskers, skin, and technique.

There's probably no non-adjustable razor that is 100% spot-on perfect for my face and whiskers (and I have 75 safety razors). Some may be very close, but not perfect.

An adjustable allows me to fine tune to perfection. And then I leave it there.
Excellent point (as per your normal, my friend!)
Kinda sad we'll never see these again in "Holiday Gift Sets!"

Reactions: Anu
To me it seems the Vision never caught on and had compared to the Futur a relative short production run.
It was an interesting design, but was too heavy and unwieldy to handle.
Some Vision lovers may disagree, but that appeared to be the verdict of the majority.

By comparison, the Slim was a lighter, much more manoeuvrable - and thus - more successful design.

As much as collecting a discontinued, new old stock model like the Vision may be appealing, the Slim would be my choice for shaving.

(Not that I use mine much any longer… :cool: )

B

I see the Vision as a failed experimental razor that is just too bulky, prone to easy degradation thanks to the zamak and probably heavy as well. I've recently came to the conclusion that razors with large and bulky heads don't work that well for me compared to razors with a slim head profiles.

The thinner head profiles are more nimble, much easier to use under the nose and also they are much more intuitive and finding the ''perfect'' angle is a childs play, while the razors with bulky heads for the most part are the opposite and I don't see a single reason why they should even exist in first place, but that's just my take on this subject.

Since the Vision has been discontinued it's only natural to be considered as rare and collectable for some people, though a failed design plus zamak isn't something that I would eager to have in my collection.

Of course, some people will be like....

5344fs5h5js.jpg

Reactions: Anu
Top Bottom