What's new

Merkur Vision 2000 broke, need a new razor

So my Merkur Vision 2000 broke, and I'm looking for a new DE razor. The Vision worked well enough for me for years, I had set it & forget it in the 1-2 range and reliably got super close shaves using a WTG followed by XTG pass and Feather blades. The only problem I had with it was that it was really big which made it difficult for me under the nose and even near my ears.

After it broke I bought a Manion M5 from Amazon. I've tried it 3 times with Feather blades and I can't get a close shave AT ALL. Today was the best so far, but it still took a WTG & 3 XTG passes to get reasonably close. I've been playing around with the angle a bit and the adjustable setting. The best shave seems to occur around 45* as the box recommends, but only at setting 6. At any setting under 6 and any angle it just wipes off the soap. At 6, I have to apply light/med pressure. Even with the pressure, at level 6, and 4 passes, it's still not as close as just 2 passes with the Vision. I'm pretty much ready to give up on this and am looking for a new razor.

Can anyone recommend a razor for me, who had good success with a Vision & Feather blades but near total failure with the Manion M5 (Futur clone)?

Welcome to B&B.
Sounds like you are using the razor at too steep a blade angle. Any razor will wipe off the lather without cutting at a very steep blade angle. This may help you with blade angle; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
I would persevere with the Futur clone because I hear it is a good razor. There have been setting issues with some and yours could be in that category. This may help; QShave Futur Clone - Issues!? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/qshave-futur-clone-issues.524715/
If you really want another razor the Merkur Progress is worth looking at if you like an adjustable razor. There are many others available and the Merkur 34C is often recomended; it is non adjustable.

Update: I swapped out the Feather for the included Dorco blade and got a much closer shave, and only had to set the adjustment to 3. I'll need to compare blades next time I swap, to see if the Dorco is larger, or maybe has different flexibility. But I guess this means that I can rule out the razor or technique as the problem.

How much do you want to spend?
Do you need an adjustable?
Do you like a large blade gap?
Do you like large blade exposure?
Any bias against zamac?
Do you care where it’s made?

So my Merkur Vision 2000 broke, and I'm looking for a new DE razor. The Vision worked well enough for me for years, I had set it & forget it in the 1-2 range and reliably got super close shaves using a WTG followed by XTG pass and Feather blades. The only problem I had with it was that it was really big which made it difficult for me under the nose and even near my ears.

After it broke I bought a Manion M5 from Amazon. I've tried it 3 times with Feather blades and I can't get a close shave AT ALL. Today was the best so far, but it still took a WTG & 3 XTG passes to get reasonably close. I've been playing around with the angle a bit and the adjustable setting. The best shave seems to occur around 45* as the box recommends, but only at setting 6. At any setting under 6 and any angle it just wipes off the soap. At 6, I have to apply light/med pressure. Even with the pressure, at level 6, and 4 passes, it's still not as close as just 2 passes with the Vision. I'm pretty much ready to give up on this and am looking for a new razor.

Can anyone recommend a razor for me, who had good success with a Vision & Feather blades but near total failure with the Manion M5 (Futur clone)?
Brother Zebra,

I love the Merkur Vision 2000, so I have to ask what broke on your Vision? It's so large it gives the impression of being unbreakable, but I guess appearances can be misleading!

Top Bottom