What's new

Merkur v. Derby Extra

I've been alternating Merkur Platinum and Derby Extras for the past few weeks to see which I prefer.

It's kind of a mixed verdict:

The Derby provides a good close shave, but seems to start off almost too sharp and then dull very quickly. Usually my first shave with the Derby leaves me a little raw feeling, especially on the neck... but by the third shave it is noticeably less sharp and almost dull by Friday (it's not really dull, but markedly less sharp than day 1).

The Merkur doesn't seem as sharp but I can easily get good consistent shaves all week... typically when I change the Merkur it is only because it is Sunday and that's the day I change the blade.

Different strokes for different folks, but I get the exact opposite. The Derby Extras are some of the most consistent blades I've used. I've sworn off Merkurs completely as it seemed like a lottery every time I put in a blade. The most important thing is to use what works for you.

letterk said:
Different strokes for different folks, but I get the exact opposite. The Derby Extras are some of the most consistent blades I've used. I've sworn off Merkurs completely as it seemed like a lottery every time I put in a blade. The most important thing is to use what works for you.

Well I'm not done experimenting and, despite the apparent dulling, today's shave was one of the best (read closest) I've had this week.

(Shave #5 with the Derby).

letterk said:
I agree...I get more consistent and better shaves from the Derbys, and for 1/3rd the cost...but thats why you should try them all...you never know what you are missing.

I too agree with John. I tossed the Merkur blades out a long time ago. Just too rough on the face. I switched then to Personnas, which provide a easier shave then the Merkurs. But I recently switched to Feathers & Derby's. I won't be going back to anything but those two.

ada8356 said:
I've been alternating Merkur Platinum and Derby Extras for the past few weeks to see which I prefer.

It's kind of a mixed verdict:

The Derby provides a good close shave, but seems to start off almost too sharp and then dull very quickly. Usually my first shave with the Derby leaves me a little raw feeling, especially on the neck... but by the third shave it is noticeably less sharp and almost dull by Friday (it's not really dull, but markedly less sharp than day 1).

The Merkur doesn't seem as sharp but I can easily get good consistent shaves all week... typically when I change the Merkur it is only because it is Sunday and that's the day I change the blade.
Aaron,
I find that your experiences with Derby Extras and Merkur are almost identical to mine. With the Derby I find the first shave to be less pleasant than the second through fourth. It is usually marginal on the fourth and the blade earns its place in the blade tomb at that point. As for the first use, the blade tends to pull and drag. It almost seems as though you are stropping in on your face to smooth it out for the succeeding shaves. I find the Merkur to be less sharp asa you have, but it holds that edge longer than the Derby. While these observations are seemingly objective and somewhat common, there are so many personal elements involved, including model of razor and beard characteristics it is seldom that you find more than two gents in the same room agreeing.

So interesting to hear the different (and very often SIMILAR) experiences with these things!

My experiences have been almost exactly those of Aaron & Ron (and others we've read on here)- the first shaves with each Derby are usually just bad. Too sharp, too dull, I have no idea but I get cut and not all that close. But the 2nd, 3rd, and if I'm lucky 4th shaves are right on the money, making it almost worth sticking with the Derby's even through those maiden runs.

After a few weeks of Derby's, I'm going to switch back to the Merkurs and see if I can gain some acute and specific observational (empirical?) differences... I'll post whatever I can formulate into words!

I find the Merkur blades to be sharper at the begining but a bit more harsh. For me the thing with the Derby blades is that they are a smooth finisher which means i can go back to the same spot if i have missed.

For me the Derby blades are far superior to Merkurs, I haven't used a Merkur blade for ages though so maybe I should have another go just to remind me1!

I've only been wet shaving for about 3 months or so, and I started with the Merkurs and I was happy with the results.

However, since then I was introduced to Derby blades and I found them to be consistently more comfortable and ofer better shaves. I find the first shave with the Derby requires some careful work as it can be a bit harsh, so I never blade buff on a fresh Derby. But shaves #2 through #5 are always A-1.

But, like has been mentioned, your face is not my face, so YMMV.

Peace,

Pierre

I'm relatively new to wet shaving but my two cents on these two blades. With the Merkurs I got two fantastic shaves and then on shave three I could feel and actually see some serious pulling on my facial hair, making it not very cost effective since I could only get two shaves from the blade and then into the trash. I tried the Derby and I got the biggest and most nicks I have ever gotten since my wet shaving obsession began, so straigh to the trash with the Derby:thumbdown... Anyone want a free 4 pack of Derbys? I have been using the Israeli's recently and they have been very consistent and smooth even after a full week of shaving, no nicks or irritation. I'm graduating to the Feather's tomorrow and hoping for the best. Here's hoping for little blood loss.

Saludos
Rod

salsadj said:
I'm relatively new to wet shaving but my two cents on these two blades. With the Merkurs I got two fantastic shaves and then on shave three I could feel and actually see some serious pulling on my facial hair, making it not very cost effective since I could only get two shaves from the blade and then into the trash. I tried the Derby and I got the biggest and most nicks I have ever gotten since my wet shaving obsession began, so straigh to the trash with the Derby:thumbdown... Anyone want a free 4 pack of Derbys? I have been using the Israeli's recently and they have been very consistent and smooth even after a full week of shaving, no nicks or irritation. I'm graduating to the Feather's tomorrow and hoping for the best. Here's hoping for little blood loss.

Saludos
Rod

I find it a little odd that you're expecting blood loss with the Feathers but didn't like the Derby's for the same thing. I'm not arguing FOR the Derbys specifically, but suggesting that you give them another try. Everyone has different tastes with blades, but it usually takes more than just one blade to come to a conclusion. Maybe you just had a bad blade or any number of other reasons for a poor shave.

If you're using an adjustable you might try dialing it down for the Derbys from the setting you were using the Merkurs at?

If not, try the Feathers and then give the Derbys another shot in a week or so. Things change in mysterious ways. . .!:tongue:

letterk said:
I find it a little odd that you're expecting blood loss with the Feathers but didn't like the Derby's for the same thing. I'm not arguing FOR the Derbys specifically, but suggesting that you give them another try. Everyone has different tastes with blades, but it usually takes more than just one blade to come to a conclusion. Maybe you just had a bad blade or any number of other reasons for a poor shave.

John, first let me say thank you for putting together the sample packs of blades. Without it I don't think my wet shaving experience would have been as enjoyable. I haven't tried the Feathers or Swedish Gillettes yet but I'm working my way there.

Now, it wasn't a poor shave per se, just more nicks than ever. With all the hype I read about the Derbys I wasn't expecting any blood which is why I was surprised when I saw the nice gash next to my adams apple, which a little styptic pencil --and some running around in circles 'cause it stung like a b!@%ch-- took care of. It was a little dissapointing. But from what I've read, the Derbys improve after the first shave...this I did not know before tossing it. I'll give them another whirl and not rush to judgement :smile: As for the Feathers, the only reason I expect blood loss is because they are supposed to be scary sharp. So a steady hand and watchful eye should keep it to a minimum.

Saludos
Rod

For me ....Merkur Blades are awful:frown: Derbys just get better until the shave which feels as if I am rubbing cardboard over my face....which is the closest shave ever.....then it is time to change.Excellent blades in every razor I have except.....the Merkur 1904. For me that combination just does not work.

My vote would be for the Derby Extra.

Brian

Top Bottom