What's new

Merkur turns down Injector Repo

Merkur's answer to my enquiry about building 500 Schick 1941 model F copies:

proxy.php

Dear ---------,

Thanks for your interesting enquiry to reproducing the 1941 Schick Injector Razor Model F.

We highly recommend you to refer directly to Schick Company still holding the rights on that pattern and probably still having the necessary plans and tools for reproducing their razor.

They will for sure be the more appropriate partner to handle this razor project with you. However, we assume that they will ask for essentially higher minimum order quantities.

With best regards,

Jens Zeitvogel

DOVO Stahlwaren
Bracht GmbH & Co KG
Solingen - Germany

I did respond with information that Schick's patent protection has expired, just like Gillette, who's razor they already make a copy of,.. and in no way seems to be interested in building a razor of this quality. But, I still expect them to decline, as the people there seem to know nothing of the Injector history or are willing to explore the venture. The search for a willing company with small casting, sheet stamping and medical quality machining ability goes on. This razor only has 3 parts! And is a work of Art.

told you so, and i dont blame them, after what happened with nationwide campus and their Type O clone,

Well, we tried, with the Petition I put together months ago but one door shut does not necessarily mean defeat. I have to admit that 180Pilot did great and my applaud goes out to you Sir. I figured a little wait time and possibly contacting local US/Canadian tool-makers but we'll see what turns up eventually. Thanks 180!

told you so, and i dont blame them, after what happened with nationwide campus and their Type O clone,

I'm certainly not discouraged by that history at all.

There was nothing wrong with the type "O" idea,..it was the quality of the final product. And it would not be Merkur sticking their neck out, I'm paying for the manufacture of these razors. They will only make a smaller profit then I.

I am just really happy for the simple fact that you are planning on having these made. Also the fact that you were drawn to the original post I had started just to see how many people would be interested. I'm glad that you came out for this. Had I the funds and initial investment available to me, I would have gone ahead with it as well. But I would surely like to see this happen. It would be a beautiful thing!

By the way, I'm still not clear as to exactly which type of Injector is this? Can you please clarify once again for me? Thank you.

I'm certainly not discouraged by that history at all.

There was nothing wrong with the type "O" idea,..it was the quality of the final product. And it would not be Merkur sticking their neck out, I'm paying for the manufacture of these razors. They will only make a smaller profit then I.

This is a neat idea but pardon my ignorance but aren't injector blades getting even harder to come by than DE blades? I've noticed my local grocery store and a number of drug stores have recently quit carrying injector blades. It would seem a stretch for someone to pick up and reproduce a razor that you'd have difficulty finding blades for. That said, maybe someone like Derby would be interested in getting the razor reproduced so they could sell the blades.

Merkur's answer to my enquiry about building 500 Schick 1941 model F copies:

proxy.php

My picture from the shaveworld.org on line encyclopedia, would be nice to reference the source:
Shaveworld

Choose "Schick" from the"type" drop down menu and click "submit" for the full Schick line. It shows quite a bit more Schick variety :wink:

This is a neat idea but pardon my ignorance but aren't injector blades getting even harder to come by than DE blades? I've noticed my local grocery store and a number of drug stores have recently quit carrying injector blades. It would seem a stretch for someone to pick up and reproduce a razor that you'd have difficulty finding blades for. That said, maybe someone like Derby would be interested in getting the razor reproduced so they could sell the blades.

I don't think I'd want to deal with Turkish Co. (Derby), in this venture. I'm not trying to talk someone into making this, I'm paying to have them made.
And then I will advertise and sell them.

Right now, none of the good blades, DE or Injector, can be bought at any "drug stores" around me. 2 types of Injectors online: Personna and German Schick, both OK, but cutting down the Feathers made for straight razors is an amazing shave with the Injectors. Re-introducing the Injector to Americas shavers, is like the "Field of Dreams". build it and they will come. Hopefully, Feather could be coaxed a little to make a shorter blade to fit without cutting. Sending spent blades and loading cartridges back to manufacturer to resharpen would be the "Green" thing to do. As is, throwing these smaller blades away is much less material then multi-blade throw- a- ways. So, there is going to be a process here, but I believe the shaving industry is at a point where most men are starting to see the insanity of the 5 and 6 blade, plastic, spinned up Gillettes and others.

I don't think I'd want to deal with Turkish Co. (Derby), in this venture. I'm not trying to talk someone into making this, I'm paying to have them made.
And then I will advertise and sell them.

Right now, none of the good blades, DE or Injector, can be bought at any "drug stores" around me. 2 types of Injectors online: Personna and German Schick, both OK, but cutting down the Feathers made for straight razors is an amazing shave with the Injectors. Re-introducing the Injector to Americas shavers, is like the "Field of Dreams". build it and they will come. Hopefully, Feather could be coaxed a little to make a shorter blade to fit without cutting. Sending spent blades and loading cartridges back to manufacturer to resharpen would be the "Green" thing to do. As is, throwing these smaller blades away is much less material then multi-blade throw- a- ways. So, there is going to be a process here, but I believe the shaving industry is at a point where most men are starting to see the insanity of the 5 and 6 blade, plastic, spinned up Gillettes and others.

Are Ted Pella's injector blades any good? Reason I ask is I've got a line on an injector (My dad's) and in a bit of a quandry about blades.
http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1623602

I think you just might be on to something here with this project. The DE just doesn't cut it, pardon the pun, for the masses what with having to handle the actual blade and all. The injector solves at least some of the problem. I also agree with your assertion that with folks going Green this just might have wheels. Good luck!

Top Bottom