What's new

Merkur Slant?...No Problem

How do you guys shave symmetrically with the slant bar? Especially in the moustache area. I do ear to nose passes and with the orientation of the slant bar, this would mean one side gets the less aggressive cut.

With The Grain said:
without question you can go right to the slant.

I've been curious if the reason why some guys refer to the slant as satans razor or aggressive in general stems from improper seating of the blade. ive noticed that there can be slight play in the blade direction before that final tightening down. this is to say that if you dont follow the angle of the twist when lying the blade in place (which gives you even blade gap down the line) you can end up with more blade gap at one end of the razor vs the other if you were to insert the blade "straight" in direction, independant of the slant. Has anyone else noticed this?

Actually, I've noticed that more with my other razors. In particular, my Merkur 1904 has some play, such that I can screw it down with one side of the razor being the agressive side, with lots of blade showing, and the other the tame side, with very little. Note that I'm not talking about blade gap, just blade exposure.

Originally Posted by With The Grain:

I've been curious if the reason why some guys refer to the slant as satans razor or aggressive in general stems from improper seating of the blade. ive noticed that there can be slight play in the blade direction before that final tightening down. this is to say that if you dont follow the angle of the twist when lying the blade in place (which gives you even blade gap down the line) you can end up with more blade gap at one end of the razor vs the other if you were to insert the blade "straight" in direction, independant of the slant. Has anyone else noticed this?

Please can you elaborate on this?
My slant seems to have more visible blade on one side than the other (ie left to right on both sides of the DE blade).

Ok..I bought my Slant from a local retailer yesterday. Tried it this AM with some of Mama's Soap and a new Derby. Probably the best DE shave since I started..BBS all the way. Did I nick myself in two areas..YES. but the quality of the shave compansated. I am not sure if you are supposed to shave differently from an HD using the Slant. Or is it just the way the Slant is made that gives that close shave. I guess I will have to continue to practice and go easy and relearn my DE principles.

Once you have good technique with any safety razor, you're good to go with the Slant Bar. Find the right blade for you, use light pressure and correct blade angle, and you will get great shaves every time. I think it's especially good for the combination of thick, wiry beard and sensitive skin. (Of course, with that combination, good prep is particularly important.)

Once you have good technique with any safety razor, you're good to go with the Slant Bar. Find the right blade for you, use light pressure and correct blade angle, and you will get great shaves every time. I think it's especially good for the combination of thick, wiry beard and sensitive skin. (Of course, with that combination, good prep is particularly important.)

Michael, Thanks much. I have read your first shave w/Slant razor dated 7/28/06. Wish I would have read this earlier, very big help. Happy New Year.

If you're consistently getting good shaves with the DE razor you're currently using---a Gillette, for example---you then have the pressure and angle problem solved. You can, in my opinion, move directly to the Slant. Obviously, the angle will differ slightly, but by that point you can tell when you have the right angle. And the pressure is always the same: light pressure. The razor does the work. The Slant does seem to work better with a sharper blade, though.

Great Info guys, Thanks!

I just received my nearly new Merkur Slant ( Thanks Adam!! ) cleaned it up and popped a new Feather in and all I can say is WOW!! BBS shave in 2 passes with only 2 small nicks..

I can't wait to try it again, I have been using mostly straights lately and occasionally using a Parker 90 for touch ups or when I'm in more of a hurry.

I am so far very impressed with the slant / feather combo makes for a super smooth shave :smile:

Now I know why everyone has been raving about this combo.

Cheers

Top Bottom