What's new

Merkur & Simpsons - My first impressions!

Hello folks, i just wanted to share a few of my impressions and pictures on some pretty existing stuff! On Christmas i received a beautiful gift from my father, a Merkur 34G and a Simpsons „the colonel“ 2XL, best badger. Here is a pic of when i first opened it up

AE4DD662-AF30-4DE0-B3F1-D6C73472F9C9.jpeg

The brush came in this beautiful red package with this nice little instruction. This also is my first ever Simpsons brush.

And here a picture after 3 shaves, you can see how the brush went into a beautiful bloom.

66FFB426-1B9E-421F-BB85-3205A016568D.jpeg

Let me share about the brush first. I have been using a Muhle traditional line silvertip badger for about over 2 years now and the brush has been amazing, as you would expect it from a high grade silvertip.

So my expectations from this so called best badger brush weren’t so high. Oh boy was i surprised when i first lathered up with it The tips and the whole brush is equally soft in comparison to my silvertip! The pictures don’t show it clearly, but the tips are grey.

So i don‘t know why simpsons calls this a best badger, because this is 100% a whole silvertip knot guys. The brush spreads out beautifully when face lathering and produces effortlessly and very fast a ton of high quality lather, a true lather machine.

It has a good amount of backbone, but less then the Muhle, which i actually like because it feels a tad more gentle. One thing that i noticed right away is that the brush retains very much heat during the whole shave, which my Muhle never did to that amount. Yet it also holds way less water then my Muhle. The handle looks stunning, almost like ivory and feels very good in the hand when face lathering. 11/10!

The 34G is beautiful to behold. The gold finish really sets it apart and gives it a vintage vibe. Along with the Muhle brush i used the R89 and sometimes would use the king c gillette razor. Aggression wise the 34g falls right between them. Less aggressive then the king c and more aggressive then the R89. The 34G is a very smooth operator and requires less time to achieve a BBS then the R89. Yet i also find that it requires less pressure then the R89, because it has quite a bit more blade feel and is heavy in the hand. The mechanism works easy and is something new compared to the basic 3 piece design. Smooth, close and effortless shaving!

Looking forward to many more shaves with these beauty’s.

Last edited:
I like the way the gold finish looks. I wonder how it ages compared to the chrome finish.
A gold finished razor will not age as well as the chromed version. Gold is not as durable. It's more susceptible to wear and damage. But a lot depend on the care the razor receives from its owner. Both the 34G and the R89 are excellent razors that are mid-aggressive, though the R89 might be slightly milder for most shavers.

Congratulations on your wonderful gifts. And so cool that they are from your dad!
Thank you dmshaver!
A gold finished razor will not age as well as the chromed version. Gold is not as durable. It's more susceptible to wear and damage. But a lot depend on the care the razor receives from its owner. Both the 34G and the R89 are excellent razors that are mid-aggressive, though the R89 might be slightly milder for most shavers.

So far i have been cleaning it after every shave with warm water and a soft microfiber cloth. I‘ve also read numerous accounts of people who owned the 34G for years and years and never saw a change or deterioration in the finish - it is very durable/german.

Nice setup.

The Colonel is the best bang for your buck in Simpson brushes IMO. I love mine.

Thank you SharpieB. I can’t stress enough how soft this brush is! Either i got really blessed with this one, or Simpsons has a different rating when it comes to the hair they use. Maybe what Simpsons calls best badger, Muhle already calls silvertip, who knows. But i also read that Simpsons best badger line is like lottery, you never know how soft it will be when you get it.

Was also gifted a Colonel a few years ago for my birthday. Excellent brush. Mine is more on the pure side of the spectrum, but it's fine by me as their pure grade is my favorite from them.

Careful though, the rabbit hole goes deep!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Oh oh, there’s just something about these Simpsons brushes that already makes me think about the next one. Thanks for the warning :) !
No need to worry about self control... I bought my first Simpson in 2010 and I was able to stop purchasing them in 2021, after only buying 27 brushes.

But recently I find myself wanting a wee chat with one Anna Dillon of Simpsons' to see would they make me an Eagle G3 with Platinum synthetic bristle. Usually once the Simpsons' humour is on me there's no stopping it, so it's only a matter of time until I'll be posting pics of a new Eagle synthetic... But as I said, I can stop anytime.

Enjoy your Colonel. Simpsons' Best has been remarkably and consistently good these recent years. And that golden Merkur is so classy.

Very nice gifts. Enjoy. Simpson makes great brushes for sure and the 34c is a good performer. I still use mine from time to time and always enjoy the shave…..though mine is not that lovely gold color.

Lovely Christmas. Be sure to send something to those who thought kindly of you. Fancy cheese, flowers throughout the year, 5lb chocolate bar, steaks from mail order, specialty coffee.

I think you should like the Merkur 34G very much. I tried with a Treet Dura Sharp Carbon steel and it is a great shave after 5 uses.

I found rinse your brushes to get the soap out from dense knots and they should last a long time. The sink downstairs has easier water flow to rinse brushes. In fact that might be a good weekend project. For a new brush once a month for rinsing between use should ensure they are kept clean. And for razors just use a cleaning cloth to keep these from collecting heavy soap deposits.

Top Bottom