What's new

Merkur repair advice

This vintage Merkur arrived in its fitted and cream colored box today. I gave it a barbicide bath and as I went over it with the scrubbing bubbles the top fell off. Hmmm... this is not supposed to be a three piece razor! A closer look showed that the handle had a split in it which allowed this to happen. Because of the design of it this can't have the barrel filled with glue since it is tightened from the bottom. It does seem to work just fine as is but if there are any thoughts on repair I'd like to hear what you think.

IMG_4492.jpeg
IMG_4493.jpeg

What do the guts look like? Is there enough room inside to slide an aluminum sleeve in there and epoxy the split?

R

romsitsa

I'd solder it together.
Remove the knob, lightly sand the neck part till you reach raw brass add a bit of flux.
Add some soft solder to the top part of the tube, insert neck, heat it together.
As the head is zamak, I'd heat the bottom of the tube and let the heat crawl up to the neck and wrap the comb in a wet sponge or paper tissue to act as a heat sink.

You can measure the ID of the handle, and get tubing (I used carbon fiber on a Coles) to cut to fit. IIRC, its about 7/16", but don't hold me to that. Solder can be iffy, as you're either snugging the handle up and re-pressing the neck into it, or you're trying to solder against zamak, which can go all kinds of wrong.

I can post a pic later...

I would use 2 pack epoxy and glue the base plate to the tube; you won't need much for that small surface area. Just roughen up the two interacting surfaces with glass paper or wet and dry to ensure a good bond. There is no strain on that joint as the bottom knob draws the cap in and keeps the razor together.

It also looks like you have an issue with the cap of the razor. I looks like a spot has started to corrode. I have always liked the Merkur brand and have own several variations over the years. At one time several years ago I had a cap issue with an older razor and contacted Merkur directly and they sent a new cap.

I would use 2 pack epoxy and glue the base plate to the tube; you won't need much for that small surface area. Just roughen up the two interacting surfaces with glass paper or wet and dry to ensure a good bond. There is no strain on that joint as the bottom knob draws the cap in and keeps the razor together.

Thanks guys, I think I will go this route. Nice tip from @Bobbers about contacting them. I think I'll shave with it a bit and see.

Top Bottom