What's new

Merkur regular DE razors VS Merkur Open Comb DE razors

Hey guys, I'm curious to know if any of you use an Open Comb Merkur DE razor. How's it different than a regular Merkur DE?

RR/SS,

I've got the HD and the Long Handle open comb. My understanding is that the open comb is best used with longer stubble, you know, much like your old avatar!:biggrin: I've used it only once or twice, and found it to be more aggressive than the HD. My preference is the HD, but for some reason, don't want to part with the open comb!

Randy

The first DE that I ever shaved with was the 1904 Classic open-comb. I purchased it based on the following description that I read about it.

"This Open Comb version will permit the closest shave possible while still offering maximum protection from razor rash. An especially good choice for tough, heavy beards."

I shaved with this razor for several months and received many good shaves from it. Later, I bought the regular version of the HD and have been getting great shaves from it. Honestly, I'm not sure of any dramatic differences in the two shaves. I like the HD better, but I think it is just personal preference.

If I were you, I would buy an open comb razor and give it a shot. Odds are that you'll never be able to let it rest until you experience for yourself.

SAVE_20210321_112310.jpg

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Merkur open combs are relatively mild, but still effective and are a joy to use.
Here's my replated vintage Merkur open comb (basically similar to the discontinued Merkur 11c):

Untitled.jpg

The original (not replated) looked like this:

image.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Merkur open combs are relatively mild, but still effective and are a joy to use.
Here's my replated vintage Merkur open comb (basically similar to the discontinued Merkur 11c):

View attachment 1239561

The original (not replated) looked like this:

View attachment 1239564
By the looks of the alignment studs it seems like you changed the cap. Which did you use?

11C is of similar geometry but shaves differently due to the increased weight (it's a two-piece) like the HD but you know that, S_C

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
By the looks of the alignment studs it seems like you changed the cap. Which did you use?

The second picture is not the exact razor that was replated, just looks like it. Thanks for drawing my attention to the studs, I didn't discern the difference. But I think they are more or less the same shaving-wise.

I have a 1904 OC and do not like the pointy tips.... I put it in its box and didn't use again *head shaving at that time*. I tend to use OC from RR, Karve and Fatip (these give me a closer shave) and it's more pleasant to my skin.

I found the open comb even more mild than the standard 34C. I saw a chart somewhere showing the OC has negative blade exposure.

I found the open comb even more mild than the standard 34C. I saw a chart somewhere showing the OC has negative blade exposure.

never seen the chart mentioned but I can confirm the experience, I own the slant, HD and OC and the OC is the mildest.

Top Bottom