What's new

Merkur razors customer satisfaction survey

From personal experience, how happy are you with Merkur razors?

• 5 stars (extremely happy)

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted a "4" for the following:

Merkur Progress- Great razor! It's smooth, adjustable, well built and easy to clean. I don't have issues with the blade being out of alignment with both sides.

Merkur 15c- Great razor BUT to mild. Had to put a shim to really get it going. Ah, but when that shim was in its great!! Shaves smooth, easy to maneuver around the face, good grip, easy to care for.

Unlike the Aggressiveness Poll, these Brand Satisfaction polls are anonymous. Because of this, any written out votes in replies can't be counted in the final results (although this thread will still of course persist for any who wish to read the details of why people voted the way they did).

Please use a tablet or computer and be sure to fill out the checkbox-containing poll so your vote can be counted!

Thanks!
Shawn

Check box? Don't see one. Am I late? I started with a 23c, which I didn't really appreciate until I decided an adjustable would be better and made the foolhardy choice of a Futur. Too heavy, too vicious, even set below 1. I'll be trying a 37c short handle slant in a couple of days. Got the short because I figured it's interchangeable with the long handle on the 23c. Future reports to come

Abby

I missed the poll, but I'll add my 2 cents on my 34C. The razor itself is fine. It was my first razor and it's a good shaver. That said, the plating on it is garbage and Merkur's customer service lived up to their hype as a terrible company to deal with. The plating started flaking after less than a week's worth of use. When contacted their customer service gave me a very eloquent buzz off response. According to them, their manufacturing process is the vendor's problem.

To those who have had plating problems with a 34 C - what's underneath? That is, what color is the base metal?

I've been trying to discover what metal the razor is made from. I'm guessing it's something less desirable than brass - probably some kind of zinc alloy?

Anybody know for sure?

Last edited:
Zamak has been used for many years. I've owned Merkurs for a long time and have yet to have one fail. I know they do and can, but with minor cleaning and maintenance there's never been a problem.

I'm very grateful to Merkur for turning me against any razor made of plated Zamak and confirming my opinion of German arrogance. Missed the Poll somehow but would have given them a -1.

Very unhappy unpacking the 34C. The finish was not impressive. Extremely happy with Edwin Jagger 89 by comparison, and that was $9 cheaper. That being said, the EJ89 was warped, and the handle was too slippery when my hands were wet, so I came to appreciate the 43C, and would recommend it if you can get by the looks.

Zamak has been used for many years. I've owned Merkurs for a long time and have yet to have one fail. I know they do and can, but with minor cleaning and maintenance there's never been a problem.

I've wondered if the degree of use might factor into the longevity of some of zinc alloy razors. Do you rotate razors? Have you used any of your Merkurs for a solid year (200+ shaves)? What would you estimate as the most shaves that any of your modern zinc alloy razors have (without breaching the chrome plating)?

I'm surprised by the fairly high customer satisfaction. I've twice had problems with Merkur razors, twice written to their email contact address and have never gotten a response.

Most recently, I bought a Futur last year... used it about a dozen times then put it in my (dry) toiletry bag. A few days back I looked at the razor and it had serious pitting in the handle, where the stainless steel apparently corroded. I've written to Merkur and haven't heard a thing. I had bought it on Ebay and have lost information on the merchant, who couldn't be blamed in any case. What to do?

I'm surprised by the fairly high customer satisfaction. I've twice had problems with Merkur razors, twice written to their email contact address and have never gotten a response.

Most recently, I bought a Futur last year... used it about a dozen times then put it in my (dry) toiletry bag. A few days back I looked at the razor and it had serious pitting in the handle, where the stainless steel apparently corroded. I've written to Merkur and haven't heard a thing. I had bought it on Ebay and have lost information on the merchant, who couldn't be blamed in any case. What to do?

The Futur, as all Merkur razors (except the bakelite obviously), is made of a zinc alloy called Zamak.

I certainly sympathize. There's no way a virtually new razor, used a dozen times, should be pitting. While I understand your desire to contact the manufacturer, you might have better luck contacting the vendor who sold you the razor.

PS -- I'm not sure where your information comes from, but my understanding is that the Furtur is not a stainless steel razor. Most vendors describe it as (polished or brushed) chrome plated. And of course there's a gold-plated model, too. I'm not sure what's underneath the plating. Even so, the finish shouldn't fail in the manner described. Hope you have better luck with the vendor.

my dissatisfaction with Merkur products is fairly well documented on this forum, I had the plating go bad on a Futur after only a few months and had a Progress that I sent back to the vendor as it had uneven blade gap and exposure, the vendor said that this is very common with the Progress and said it was within Merkur's tolerences, the now discontinued Vision was also insanely expensive for a Zamak razor (nearly the price of a stainless steel razor) , Merkur wont be getting any more of my business

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For me...5 stars for my 38C and I love this razor! :001_tt1:

attachment.php
[FONT=&quot]“One Razor, One Lather; One Shave at a Time”. CBJ[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I have the Futur, Mergress, and 38C. The Futur will be sold -- I'm afraid of the darn thing. Bad cut last time I used it. The Mergress is nice but bulky. The 38C works well for me -- not the most refined razor and less than perfect machining but it shaves very well. Not too aggressive, not too mild, with good audible feedback.

I think that Muhle razors are manufactured to a higher standard. Not necessarily better shavers, but better machining and finishing. Very happy with my DE89. Feather AS-D2 may soon move into the #1 position for me. Too early to tell but very mild and easy to shave with.

Top Bottom