What's new

Merkur Question

Merkur only makes one solid-bar head. The 34c is the same head as the 42c. If you see a difference it could be just variances in production.

That is sort of what I assumed about the heads. But the opinion of the internet seems to be that the 42c is mild and the 34c is medium. I would bet that the bar going through the 34c's handle raises the cap a little higher and the cap on 42c fits down a little tighter. But the safety bars are exactly the same.

Just don't forget the 34 is a two piece and the 42 is three piece. The gaps on both razors have been measured as being different. Not only the B&B wiki has the info. Just can't remember where on the internet they have been measured by another reviewer. Unfortunately I no longer have the 34C to measure the gap.

Just don't forget the 34 is a two piece and the 42 is three piece. The gaps on both razors have been measured as being different. Not only the B&B wiki has the info. Just can't remember where on the internet they have been measured by another reviewer. Unfortunately I no longer have the 34C to measure the gap.

Well, I appreciate it. I'll probably just stick with the 42C for the pandemic, maybe use a different handle. The 34G seems very nice and I may get it when I can spend money on fun stuff.

The Progress does seem very nice as well. I actually like the plastic knob, I know a lot of people can't stand it, though. I think it's a cool look!
If I had a Progress, I would dye that plastic knob some color other than beige. Maybe royal blue or charcoal grey. The handle is also so smooth, would it be so bad to have a little knurling on it?

If I had a Progress, I would dye that plastic knob some color other than beige. Maybe royal blue or charcoal grey. The handle is also so smooth, would it be so bad to have a little knurling on it?

It's a super odd design choice for sure. I think I makes it look pretty retro. I like a little tackiness in my style ala the harvest gold and avocado of the seventies. But you're right. Red or something bolder might make it more appealing. At least the bakelite 45 isn't beige!

I don't have a smooth one like an Edwin Jagger or anything in my collection. The EJ people swear it's a counterintuitive grip design but it actually works. Sounds like some BS to me, but I can't say because I haven't tried it.

When I had the 34C I could get a BBS. Impossible with my type of beard using the 42c. Don't know if Merkur are changing parts measurements during the years like Lord, but that's it. My 42c was bought 20 months ago.

Top Bottom