What's new

Merkur Question

I love my Merkur 1904 because of its level of mildness. I've had my eye on the 34c as my next razor. Does anyone know how the 34c compares to the 1904? Is it the same or is the 34c more aggressive?

If it's more aggressive then it's not gonna be good for me. I shave every day and the 1904 helps me avoid irritation. The handle just isn't a great grip.

Thanks, guys! You all stay safe.

I love my Merkur 1904 because of its level of mildness. I've had my eye on the 34c as my next razor. Does anyone know how the 34c compares to the 1904? Is it the same or is the 34c more aggressive?

If it's more aggressive then it's not gonna be good for me. I shave every day and the 1904 helps me avoid irritation. The handle just isn't a great grip.

Thanks, guys! You all stay safe.
As far as I know, Merkur uses only a few different head designs. The non-adjustable safety bar heads shave the same. Also, the open comb heads shave the same.

If your current Merkur is a 3-piece design, you could just get a new handle and use it with your current head. Most 3-piece handles (except Fatip) will interchange.

To my knowledge, all Merkur non-adjustable closed comb razors are pretty mild, with the obvious exception of their slant.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love the Merkur 34C/G. With a Feather I can get really great shaves. Actually with just about any blade I can get a good shave.

The 34 HD is my first razor. It is a mid aggressive razor. It is a smooth and efficient shave. It has a blade gap of .70 where the 1904 is much lower.
I fell for the more aggressive is more efficient argument.
My beard is lighter and I have fine hair that likes to lay flat on my skin. For me razors like the 1904, my Gillette New SC, and my Post War Tech work much better for my face type.
Why not try a Post War Tech?
It is smooth, mild and efficient?
Please look at the League of Extraordinary Shaver thread to discover the realm of smooth and comfortable shaves?

As far as I know, Merkur uses only a few different head designs. The non-adjustable safety bar heads shave the same. Also, the open comb heads shave the same.

If your current Merkur is a 3-piece design, you could just get a new handle and use it with your current head. Most 3-piece handles (except Fatip) will interchange.

+2! Good advice!

Thanks, guys. It sounds like the 34c is slightly more aggressive and may not function the same as the 1904. It might be a great choice down the road, but I can't expect it to deliver the same shave.

I'm a healthcare worker and I've been shaving constantly because of the need to wear the N95 mask. Facial hair opens up gaps in the seals. The 1904 is my only razor that can deliver a daily shave w/o irritation. I was thrilled to discover that! I'm still a razor enthusiast so I thought maybe the 34c would be a lateral upgrade, but it doesnt sound like that's the case. A substitute handle sounds like my best bet.

Thanks again!

The 1904 comes in an open comb model 41c and a solid bar model 42c. I assume yours is the solid bar model. In which case the heads are the same on the 1904 -42 as the 34c.
BTW, the open comb model of the 1904, 41c is suppose to be even milder than the solid bar model you now have.

If you want to try the open comb model here is a link to it:

Thank you!

I have been considering both the 34c and the 41c. You know how we razor guys are. Once we get an idea in our heads, we usually end up going into a trance and clicking "add to cart"!

I will probably get the 34c and the 41c. I've been a diehard vintage gillette guy for a long time. Now I'm thinking Merkur may be the better shave for my face. It's a matter of money now with the pandemic being what it is. I'm sure I'll deserve some kinda reward when the smoke clears and the merkurs would make a great one.

Wouldn't mind having a Progress too, but that's pure collectibility there. I know I don't need that one!

I second the terrible handle concern on the 1904. I actually pitched mine because I found it useless and sadly my head began to rust. It was a decent shaver but I’ve moved on.
Good luck.

I second the terrible handle concern on the 1904. I actually pitched mine because I found it useless and sadly my head began to rust. It was a decent shaver but I’ve moved on.
Good luck.
Thanks, man. I love the *look* of the handle on the 42c. It's just like the ones that guys brought back from Germany after WW2. I was pleased the antique traditional design is still in production.

I keep dropping it in the sink, though!

Thanks, man. I love the *look* of the handle on the 42c. It's just like the ones that guys brought back from Germany after WW2. I was pleased the antique traditional design is still in production.

I keep dropping it in the sink, though!
That’s why I got it. It looks sweet. The functionality thou.

There is a good quality stainless steel handle that you can put on your current razor that will fit perfectly and make it look very much like a 34c.

This is the Razorock HD handle, shown below on a Game Changer, but they sell the handle separately. I have this handle I got cheaply in the Scratch and Dent section of the Italian Barber website for $6. It's one of my favorites, excellent grip and size.

gc-hd-handle.jpg

Thanks, guys. It sounds like the 34c is slightly more aggressive and may not function the same as the 1904. It might be a great choice down the road, but I can't expect it to deliver the same shave.

I'm a healthcare worker and I've been shaving constantly because of the need to wear the N95 mask. Facial hair opens up gaps in the seals. The 1904 is my only razor that can deliver a daily shave w/o irritation. I was thrilled to discover that! I'm still a razor enthusiast so I thought maybe the 34c would be a lateral upgrade, but it doesnt sound like that's the case. A substitute handle sounds like my best bet.

Thanks again!
Hey good luck and stay clean my friend! My daughter is a med lab tech and I'm sweating it for all you guys. I hope y'all keep getting all the gear you need!

There is a good quality stainless steel handle that you can put on your current razor that will fit perfectly and make it look very much like a 34c.

This is the Razorock HD handle, shown below on a Game Changer, but they sell the handle separately. I have this handle I got cheaply in the Scratch and Dent section of the Italian Barber website for $6. It's one of my favorites, excellent grip and size.

View attachment 1082533
I have the bamboo handle from them. Great handle. I use is all the time.
1AF13F16-49D9-4E43-87A2-BF3ED5886F9C.jpeg

Thanks again!
No advice to add, but I just wanted to say thanks for all you and your colleagues are doing during these uncertain times.

Thanks, guys, and you are welcome also. I have x-rayed a lot of patients recently and have been trying to keep as clean as possible. We never learn which ones have Covid-19 and which ones don't. I have a bottle of aftershave in my car that I sanitize my hands and face with after work! Hey, it's high alcohol and I have plenty of it!

It's really strange. A lot of us are out of work because of the economy. And yet, other places, they are desperate for our help. In a perfect world, the government would organize and mobilize some of us. But so far, that isn't happening.

Top Bottom