What's new

Merkur Progress-where is zero?

I have a Merkur Progress and I would like to know with the blade inserted and tightened down fully what number should represent zero? Should the "+" represent zero or "1''? Thanks Joe :confused1

I believe Zero would be the "+" sign. But I have always understood that would be lined up with no blade inserted, if properly calibrated.

The number markings are relative, though. They don't really mean anything, except as a comparison to each other, so you can adjust your razor between "more" or "less" aggressive. (The higher numbers are more aggressive.)

Where ever the adjustment stops is the lowest point.

The markings are little more than reference marks so that you can reset to the same (or close to the same) setting after you remove and replace the blade.

They are razors, not micrometers.

If it shaves good for you when it is set between 2 and 3. Reset it to that point when you put a new blade in.

Zero? The mildest setting should be 1, not zero. As you turn the handle the numbers increase and the + figure appears at the end of the numbers. I guess you can increase the blade gap more - if you so choose - but I wouldn't if I were you.

The calibrations for the Progress are not uniform. Take a look at this post particularly the remark at post number five.

I have a Merkur Progress and I would like to know with the blade inserted and tightened down fully what number should represent zero? Should the "+" represent zero or "1''? Thanks Joe :confused1

Mine starts at 1 with or without a blade to chew on. I've taken it apart before but reassembled it to just where I started out: 1. Best, Frank

No matter what mine sits on the gap between the "+" and #1. Practicing, I started off on the 1 and now have it set most usually at 2.5 where it delivers a great shave. My question qould be IF I sent the Progress up for the Mergress stainless adjustment knob would it be, or is the calibration, truer?

This has been talked about heaps, the numbers are a guide of how aggressive it is, it doesn't click into place like a FB, I would think that zero is when it's wound all the way down?

No matter what mine sits on the gap between the "+" and #1. Practicing, I started off on the 1 and now have it set most usually at 2.5 where it delivers a great shave. My question qould be IF I sent the Progress up for the Mergress stainless adjustment knob would it be, or is the calibration, truer?

When I sent my first Progress to Eric to calibration was way off. When I tightened it the marking was well below the 1 setting and the 1 setting was far from mild. When it came back as a Mergress the setting was set 1. However, as I indicated above, there is a way to fix that setting.

Top Bottom