What's new

Merkur Progress vs Parker Variant The battle of the adjustables

I am currently searching for a Gillette Fatboy in my area. (not an easy task!) If I cannot find one, I think I will go for a Merkur Progress. I prefer short handles and lighter weight razors.
I like short thick handles. If that comes with lighter weight, that's fine too.

My Progress is an excellent razor, and I look forward to using it.

I have both the Parker Variant and the Merkur Progress. They perform very, very similar, however, at least to me, the Merkur is a little smoother, not by much, but it is.

I love both, because they have different look and finish. I'm am glad I don't have to, but if I had to choose only one, it would be the Merkur Progress.

Here are my reasons, I am pretty sure some of you won't agree, but this is my personal opinion based on my experience.

1. I like the Merkur Progress vintage design that was introduced since the 40s or 50s last century. Pretty much this Razor has been in production since it first came out. They did a couple of improvements in the construction, but has been the same razor for a very long time.

2. I like the shorter handle, it is easier to maneuver. Although, they have a longer handle version, for people that prefer it like that.

3. It is a tiny bit smoother than the variant. Not by much, don't get me wrong. You really have to compare them side by side to notice the difference. They perform very close as I mentioned before.

4. Finally, believe it or not, I like the plastic tip, functionally and the way it looks.

Functionally, because it is wider that the rest of the handle and it helps with the grip particularly if you are shaving against the grain.

The way it looks, well honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the plastic tip at the beginning, but once I understood the intention for being the way it is, something happened to my brain and now I appreciate its beauty. Look at these pictures with designs of the same era and you'll see the relationship. I don't think I need to explain.

However, having said all these. If you flip a coin and get either one, you'll be happy for sure. Both are great.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hello!
I have just finished your post today (more than 2 years after you sent it…). Congrats! You made your point very clear and I completely agree with it.
Cheers!

Top Bottom