What's new

Merkur Progress or Parker Variant: Which do you prefer?

which do you perfer & why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm thinking of purchasing them both, but I curious to see which one is preferred more?
Thank you to all that respond!

You will find here a couple of threads about mechanical issues with the Parker but I haven’t seen them on the Merkur plus the ivory knob looks much cooler ;)

076EFEB8-6A90-4835-BC4A-83F5653298CA.jpeg

Both razors have similarities. Both razors are excellent.

However, the Progress is slightly more refined and the Variant is slightly more utilitarian. I voted for the Progress, mainly because I believe in seniority. The Progress dates from 1955, and the Variant is "the new kid on the block," dating from 2016.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I read up on the reviews before deciding to go with the Progress because people were having aliment issues with the Variant and I didn't want to take the risk. I've never tried the Variant but im not disappointed with the Progress plus I liked its old school looks.

I haven't used the variant but I do have a progress. Normally I would't have voted, not having used the Parker. But... The progress is the ONLY razor that convinced me on the first shave. It's a great shaver and it is very efficient.
The white knob looks better in real life, dont let that knob make you chose the Variant over the Progress!

The Variant is a copy of the Progress, which usually causes me to dislike the imitator. However, Merkur has not to my (limited) knowledge sought to protect its intellectual property rights against clones of the Progress and Futur. Maybe trademarks expired, maybe it isn't worth their while.

I have the Progress and really love it. If the Variant shaves like it, you are in for a treat. I have read that the Variant knurling is grippier. I never had a problem with the Progress slipping. As for the retro knob, if it was classy enough for Mercedes Benz, . . .
mercedes.png
Yes, as for style, Progress wins :)

I have not tried the Progress, but I do have the Variant and I like using it. It is a very heavy razor which suits my preferences, but perhaps not yours. Also the design of the top cap makes it every easy to find the correct razor angle. The Variant is not my favorite Parker razor (that would be the Parker semi-slant), but I do enjoy using it.

They shave very close to the same so it's a tough call. I picked the Variant just because the hendle is a little grippier and I believe it's got more brass in it so might last longer than the Progress. The Progress is sort of a touchstone in wetshaving though. Everyone should get one at some point.

Wow, I would have thought that it would have been a closer race, but Merkur Progress just ran away with with the votes.

I've tried both and to be honest I need to give them a better shot. At the time I wasn't ready to use the most aggressive setting, and where I was starting from with the razors. I did find that the adjustment control on the Variant seemed to be better. I do think that the head on the Progress a bit large making it difficult to shave under my nose.

None.

Frankly, I do not like the Merkur Progress, and regret the purchase.

I find it is not as efficient and comfortable as a regular 33c/34c. I have to crank up the aggressiveness to get a comparable shave, and by then it is not as smooth.

I have a half-dozen different adjustable razors, and I do not get a consistently good shave from any of them. It is too time/day/week consuming experimenting with different settings, blades, angles trying to find a good shave. Sometimes I get a good shave, sometimes even excellent, but even then the results are not consistent.

If you want a mild shave, buy a good mild razor; if you want a moderately aggressive shave, buy a good moderately aggressive razor; if you want an aggressive shave, buy a good aggressive razor. If you want to start your shave with a mild setting, use the mild razor; if you want to do touch-ups at a close setting, finish with the aggressive razor. You can buy two or three good razors for the price of a Merkur Progress. Problem solved. Sort of. If you push it too much going for that ultra-close shave, you will get razor burn.

Sure, I will get out my adjustable razors from time to time and try them again. Maybe my opinion will change one day. If nothing else, it relieves the monotony of getting perfect, quick shaves every day from a Merkur 33/34 or my classic Gillette New Type Long Comb.

With the 33/34, Merkur somehow found the sweet spot of blade exposure, gap and angle. Convert this to an adjustable and there is no way you are going to get a perfect combination of blade exposure, gap and angle at every setting. NO WAY! I do not know how to design a great razor. And so I do not want to have to figure out the best setting for an adjustable razor. I have tried.

Also, the Merkur Progress is a bear to open and close to remove the blade for drying.

I have absolutely no intention of trying the Parker Variant, or any of the latest whiz-bang adjustables. Except for the Toggle, all they seem to do is vary the blade gap (while more or less maintaining a stable platform for the blade, unless they are damaged), which is my least favorite (and most dangerous) variable in a razor. If I disposed of all my adjustable razors, I would not miss them for a minute.

Bottom line:

Adjustable razors are gimmicks for gadget freaks.*

Most people would do best to skip this waste of money.

* I am a gadget freak, in some areas, but not a gimmick freak.

But some people are. Given all the useless gimmicks that have been introduced with cartridge razors, it is odd they have never made an adjustable cartridge, have they? When cartridges came out in the 1970s, my first thought was that they needed to give users the option of making them shave closer. But nobody asked me.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
None.

Frankly, I do not like the Merkur Progress, and regret the purchase.

I find it is not as efficient and comfortable as a regular 33c/34c. I have to crank up the aggressiveness to get a comparable shave, and by then it is not as smooth.

I have a half-dozen different adjustable razors, and I do not get a consistently good shave from any of them. It is too time/day/week consuming experimenting with different settings, blades, angles trying to find a good shave. Sometimes I get a good shave, sometimes even excellent, but even then the results are not consistent.

If you want a mild shave, buy a good mild razor; if you want a moderately aggressive shave, buy a good moderately aggressive razor; if you want an aggressive shave, buy a good aggressive razor. If you want to start your shave with a mild setting, use the mild razor; if you want to do touch-ups at a close setting, finish with the aggressive razor. You can buy two or three good razors for the price of a Merkur Progress. Problem solved. Sort of. If you push it too much going for that ultra-close shave, you will get razor burn.

Sure, I will get out my adjustable razors from time to time and try them again. Maybe my opinion will change one day. If nothing else, it relieves the monotony of getting perfect, quick shaves every day from a Merkur 33/34 or my classic Gillette New Type Long Comb.

With the 33/34, Merkur somehow found the sweet spot of blade exposure, gap and angle. Convert this to an adjustable and there is no way you are going to get a perfect combination of blade exposure, gap and angle at every setting. NO WAY! I do not know how to design a great razor. And so I do not want to have to figure out the best setting for an adjustable razor. I have tried.

Also, the Merkur Progress is a bear to open and close to remove the blade for drying.

I have absolutely no intention of trying the Parker Variant, or any of the latest whiz-bang adjustables. Except for the Toggle, all they seem to do is vary the blade gap (while more or less maintaining a stable platform for the blade, unless they are damaged), which is my least favorite (and most dangerous) variable in a razor. If I disposed of all my adjustable razors, I would not miss them for a minute.

Bottom line:

Adjustable razors are gimmicks for gadget freaks.*

Most people would do best to skip this waste of money.

* I am a gadget freak, in some areas, but not a gimmick freak.

But some people are. Given all the useless gimmicks that have been introduced with cartridge razors, it is odd they have never made an adjustable cartridge, have they? When cartridges came out in the 1970s, my first thought was that they needed to give users the option of making them shave closer. But nobody asked me.

Interesting and well done.

Used to be I believed adjustables were kinda sorta silly and gimmicks. Some probably are.

I've come to a different point of view as I've experimented with (played with/used) a number of the modern adjustables. Not the Progress. Not the Parker Variant.

I could still argue that you're right, but I'd say a lot depends on what you're doing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom