What's new

Merkur Progress head loose

First post here, just recently got back into wet shaving and de safety razors after about 7 year hiatus.

I bought a merkur progress back in 2011 or so and recently started using it again. I noticed that the numbers weren’t quite lined up with the alignment dot (mark on the head plate correctly oriented with the triangle) and I noticed that the head spins on the top of the handle shaft. Now that I’ve spun it a few times the head will actually slide up and down on the shaft as well when the head plate is removed. It seems to a press fit and the adjustment mechanism prevents it from completely coming apart but it’s a bit annoying to have to double check alignment every time I put a blade in.

Anyone else have this issue? I really like the razor and will probably just buy another, mostly just curious.
 
Years ago, I had a Merkur Progress where the fixed base-plate that is pressed onto the top of the handle loosened and then fell off the handle. It was probably right around the timeframe you're talking about, or possibly a bit earlier. I contacted Merkur about the problem and they advised me to return the razor to the place of purchase for a replacement, which I did.

It's a defect. The fit between the fixed base-plate and the top of the handle on your particular razor is too loose.

If you're unable to return the razor, it is possible to use a center punch on the top of the handle to push some material up and tighten the press fit again. But if you're able to return and replace the razor, that's probably the best approach.
 
Thanks for the feedback! I bought it at TAOS way back when, worst part is that although I've had the thing somewhere around a decade, back then I just could not get a hang of de shaving so it did not get much use. I threw out the merkur blades that came with it and bought 10 Gillette Platinum blades (at the advice of the salesperson at TAOS) and still have 4 of them. Might have a dozen or so shaves with it, other than that its been tucked away in a drawer all this time while I've been using cartridges.
 
I ended up coming across a video by sharpologist where he shows adjusting the number/dot alignment by twisting the head. While mine is certainly looser than the one he was adjusting, maybe its not all that uncommon an issue after all
 
Mine was basically unusable. The weight of the base-plate would move it off the handle if I tipped it upside down. If I remember right, I could spin the base plate around on the handle, freewheel, like a propeller. It didn't start out that way, but that's the way it ended up after a very short period of time.

I doubt, very much, that it's really supposed to be adjustable. It probably just depends on how the tolerances on the handle and the base plate hole stack up with each other.

I searched through my emails and the Progress I had trouble with was bought in 2004.
 
Mine was basically unusable. The weight of the base-plate would move it off the handle if I tipped it upside down. If I remember right, I could spin the base plate around on the handle, freewheel, like a propeller. It didn't start out that way, but that's the way it ended up after a very short period of time.

I doubt, very much, that it's really supposed to be adjustable. It probably just depends on how the tolerances on the handle and the base plate hole stack up with each other.

I searched through my emails and the Progress I had trouble with was bought in 2004.
Gotcha, mine won't exactly pinwheel but it's loose enough that it bothers me. Maybe I'll reach out to Merkur direct and see what they suggest as I certainly don't have the receipt anymore.
 
The best way I recommend how to fix it is with Locktite 620, remove head from shaft if possible, clean well and just apply a little and wipe excess and it is good to go for another 10 years. You have to let it cure for at least 24 hrs, amazing stuff.
 
The best way I recommend how to fix it is with Locktite 620, remove head from shaft if possible, clean well and just apply a little and wipe excess and it is good to go for another 10 years. You have to let it cure for at least 24 hrs, amazing stuff.
I haven't figured out a way to remove the head, the adjustment mechanism is somehow captive and I haven't been bold enough to try to remove it. If anyone has some insight that would be most appreciated
 
You should be able to just pull the head off the handle. It won't come off completely without removing the spring loaded adjustment plate, but it will come off far enough to make a repair.
 
You should be able to just pull the head off the handle. It won't come off completely without removing the spring loaded adjustment plate, but it will come off far enough to make a repair.
Yeah it definitely lifts up till it bottoms out (or tops out I suppose) on the spring loaded plate, that should be enough surface area for the loctite to grab. Maybe just pour some denatured alcohol thru there to clean it out and prep.

Thanks for the discussion guys!
 
To follow up, the loctite 620 worked wonderfully! after not using the razor for a few days, I soaked the razor in denatured alcohol for an hour or so and then let it completely dry for a few hours. Couple drops of the 620, twisted the head as I pushed it back down and good to go! One thing to note if anyone does this, the 620 starts to cure very quick once you assemble the parts (like a couple seconds), make sure a blade is in and you’re ready to get the numbers aligned Or you may end up with a misalignment.

Being anaerobic any 620 that ends up on the handle can be easily wiped off since it won’t cure in open air.

The biggest downside is that the cheapest 620 I could get was 250 ml for about $19. Considering it’s a ~$60 razor not the best value proposition but still cheaper than replacing it.
 
Top Bottom