What's new

Merkur Progress first impressions

The Progress is a fine razor especially for taking off a 5 day beard. I set mine on a high setting and it just mows down the stubble. I should start using mine again. As of late I’ve just been using the Tech but a change would be good for me. .... 🧐🧐🧐

Just a minor observation; I picked up a Progress a few weeks ago and it seems they've changed the design a little on the head.

The arrow showing which way to correctly orientate the top cap is now much smaller when compared to the older version. No blade alignment issues here also. Photo attached.

Compared to the 34C, setting 2 on my progress gives the same blade gap and feel when on use.

Attachments

• PSX_20200427_115534.jpg
    PSX_20200427_115534.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
That chalkiness on the threads I have on a 60s Tech. Zamak top plate. Can't clean it whatever I try. At least a top cap for the Progress can be bought. Merkur used to have 10 years warranty a few years ago. Not sure if that is the case now
Thanks, I was afraid it was a Zamac problem. Not sure how much longer a top cap can be bought, since Dovo/Merkur is in bankruptcy.

Just a minor observation; I picked up a Progress a few weeks ago and it seems they've changed the design a little on the head.

The arrow showing which way to correctly orientate the top cap is now much smaller when compared to the older version. No blade alignment issues here also. Photo attached.

Compared to the 34C, setting 2 on my progress gives the same blade gap and feel when on use.
This has been already discussed a few years ago on the forum, when they made the new dies.

I received my Progress today it has alignment marks like yours. Blade alignment looks spot on at all settings. Looking forward to trying it out.

I got the big Progress as my first razor. Used it a while and liked it. Now having more than 50, it was lying in a box for a year....., used it 3 days ago...and unfortunately the shave was NOT as good as I expected. Started 3.5 for 1st pass, went up to 5 for second. Had to finish shave w RR OC 084. Astra SP 1. Now OC's , Lupo or Schick work better for me.

I'm bumping this thread with my first impressions. I used the Progress for the first time this morning. Pre shave oil, Mitchell's Wool Fat and a fresh Nacet. I used setting 1 as I have heard this can be an aggressive razor. When fully tightened with a blade loaded, the + is under the dot. At setting 1, it did not feel aggressive at all. I did my usual 2 pass shave with a third on my jaw line and buffing around the Adam's Apple. I had one small weeper on my neck that disappeared when I rinsed. Followed shave with a warm water rinse and a cold water rinse. Finished with some Skin Bracer. Overall very smooth comfortable shave. ATG pass was also comfortable. I would call the results a dfs but a very good dfs. My cheeks are bbs but that is true with most shaves. Tomorrow will tell how good the shave really was. If I am going to have irritation, it typically shows up the following day. Next time I will try 1.5 or maybe 2. Felt great in hand, very well balanced and no trouble using it under my nose. A keeper for sure. I like the ivory knob. One thing I did notice, the audible feed back is unlike any razor I have used. Hard to describe the sound but sort of like a swooshing sound.

LOVING my Progress. Just my 2 cents from a new guy. Dollar store special was my first DE, then went right to a Progress. It's freaking awesome! The lowest setting is REALLY low. Used Astra blade as my first with it on setting 3 and thought it was a bit too mild. But got a SUPER smooth BBS shave. I think I'll try the German Wilkinsons I liked in my cheapo dollar razor, those blades are SMOOTH, totally tamed that cheapo razor. Being able to dial in and find my aggression level is key to my happiness. I HIGHLY recommend all noobs get an adjustable right off the bat. Turns out I'm liking a much more aggressive setting than I thought.

I hadn't seen this thread before! After reading about the Progress here, and seeing the rumors this spring about Merkur's financial difficulty, I went ahead and purchased one. It has been a superb razor. My only gripe is that its minimal instructions do NOT tell you to tighten the knob all the way down first, before selecting your number. And I could not find any commentary or reviews on the 'Net (other than here) that tell you about that. So my first two shaves with the essentially wide open Progress were edgy, as if it might bite me at any time, and in fact I did get a mild nick each time. Not until I posted here did members clue me in. So it would be nice if Merkur included that detail in its documentation!

Otherwise, I've shaved with it at 1 for a 24-hour beard, and up to 3 for 48-hour growths. Excellent shaves each time. The razor feels solid and competent in your hand and is attractive to look at to boot.

really enjoy the Progress.

my only gripe in the numbers and setting dot are tough to see without my reading glasses...

I have been considering a Progress purchase for many many years. Every time I have been eyeing it, I told myself "Stop it, too many razors, too many razors!". Well, finally I did it (or, better to say, my RAD did it? :lol: ). Boy, what have I been missing! I have been DE shaving for decades and tried so many different razors, but I have to admit, this one is the BMW of razors.

It does look better than on pictures. When you hold it in your hand, it just exudes style. Contrary to many users' dislike of the plastic knob I love it. It is indeed like the interior on 50s German cars. And I have always preferred short razors.

With sharper blades on 3 it gives a nice BBS. Not a single nick. And I wouldn't go beyond 3 with them. Still haven't tried it with medium or low sharpness blades, but I think I would go to 5 with them, as I like high aggressiveness. Someone here on this board said it should be called Lawnmower, not Progress. I do agree. That's exactly my type of razor, as I have very tough whiskers.

The Progress has been around for 65 years. Now I understand why.

View attachment 1082448
Just curious since I assume it's a new progress like my shirt handle after mold change at what point does the razor stop at bottom/fully closed?
My ond one stops at + but the new one stops at 5 (below +)
Just curious lf this is the stopping point for all the new ones since the mold change?

I guess mines just messed up.
My Progress also was not properly calibrated. I was able to fix it by following the suggestions in the second part of this video. In order to rotate the handle I had to wrap it (to protect against scratching) and twist it with a pair of pliers. I've seen other videos suggesting ways of disassembling it to adjust the calibration of the knob.

Top Bottom