What's new

Merkur Progress first impressions

Weeeell. Just stay away from those Derbys. If they are the Extra variety. German Wilkinsons are not as sharp as the Rubie, so there should be improvement with them. Voskhod sounds like a really good idea.

Weeeell. Just stay away from those Derbys. If they are the Extra variety. German Wilkinsons are not as sharp as the Rubie, so there should be improvement with them. Voskhod sounds like a really good idea.
I absolutely agree! I have Rubie and German Wilkies and I love them both...Derby Extra and Rockwell...no bueno! :c9:

Well, I didn't see the above posts and I just shaved with a Derby Extra in the Progress! It worked excellently. I didn't feel any pain during the shave. I also used my new Proraso Red preshave and Aramis aftershave balm. The final test was the Canoe aftershave, a notoriously prickly one, and there was zero burn. I would absolutely do it again because it worked great. Thanks for the suggestion of the smoother blade. Even on 1, the Progress really amplified the sharpness of the Derby. I also have Merkur and Van Der Hagen blades (also Merkur), Derby Premium and a Bolzano Supranox. All these dull, crappy blades should work great now!

Not necessary all, but at least half of them should work well with the Progress. A few days ago I put a Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium [they are smooth but not very sharp] in the Progress and cranked it up all the way to 5. Excellent shave and BBS.
I definitely think the Merkur Adjustables are made with the idea of adjustabilty developed in full, i.e. you use all the blade spectrum and get good shaves. Unlike the Gillette adjustables. If I use that very same Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium in my Slims or Super Adjustables @9, I just can't get a BBS.

Last edited:
The Progress has been around for 65 years. Now I understand why.
:thumbup1:
The Merkur Progress is next to my Rockwell 6S and my Muhle R41 one of my favorites and beyond any doubt one of the best razors ever made.
For the daily shaving I use the Progress on levels from 1 to 3. At these levels, the Progress is roughly on a level with the Rockwell 6S with the plates R3 to R5. From 3.5 we are already on the same level as the Rockwell 6S with R6 and from level 4 upwards the progress is already on the same level as the R41.
While I only switch the plates from shave to shave with the Rockwell 6S, I mostly use the Progress with the growth on Level 1.5 to 2, across the growth on 2 to 2.5 and against the growth up to level 3 to 3.5.
My favorite blades are the Voshkod, Gillette Silver Blue, Sharks, ASP and ***.
Thumbs of for a great Razor :thumbup1:

2E81E31D-D39F-4062-AAA5-EA984ADB3509.jpeg

Like the OP, I have looked at the Progess for years. When I saw the post about possible Merkur financial issues I decided that whether or not Merkur was in perial, it was a sign that I needed to pull the trigger on one. RAD can justify anything. The Progress is on its way and should be here next week. Been watching videos on the Progress (many over the years). The Progress design is very simple but brilliant. Simply loosen the handle to increase gap. This is not much different than turning the handle of a 3 piece a quarter turn to increase efficiency. Simple but brilliant. Its no wonder the Progress has been around for 25 years. What is odd is that they never made one out of brass or stainless steel. Seems like that would be easy given the simple design. Sorry, I'm monologging. I am looking forward to giving this classic a try.

I had a Progress some years ago and remember enjoying it. On my particular razor, the blade exposure was not the same on each side. One side was more aggressive than the other especially on the lowest settings. I recall this being a common complaint about this model. It wasn’t necessarily a problem for me and maybe the current models are not like that. I wouldn’t mind acquiring another one at some point as it gave a great shave.

They have made new dies a few years ago. This has been discussed on the forum. My recently acquired Progress doesn't have the unequal exposure problem.

I'm a former user of a Progress, I couldn't get to grips with it at all and found it to be too aggressive, although it did handle well and I liked the plastic knob.
After some months of ownership, I made the terrible mistake of taking it apart to clean it thoroughly. Whatever you don't follow my example, it was a nightmare to refit the handle. I'm sure I messed it up as after that I couldn't get a good shave from it.
Since then I've sworn off adjustables, although I do have a J3 Gillette Slim Adjustable incoming from America. I won't be taking that one apart!

I already have a Parker Variant and really like it and have been eyeing up the Progress, now with reported financial problems possibly involving Merkur I think I will take the plunge and get a Progress as another member here has done. From what I have seen of reviews there isn’t a lot of difference between the Variant and Progress, so at least I’ll have a back up adjustable.

From what I have seen of reviews there isn’t a lot of difference between the Variant and Progress, so at least I’ll have a back up adjustable.
Isn't the Parker with a higher profile head? Which will inevitably change the shaving angle, and also make reaching below your nose harder. Also I've read at least 2 reports of the Variant breaking after 2 or so years. Never had anything like that with the Merkurs.

Yes the Progress has a lower profile, less bulky head which I would prefer. I‘ve had my Variant for about a year and a half and it’s still going strong, the manufacturing of my one at least seems top notch!.

:thumbup1:
The Merkur Progress is next to my Rockwell 6S and my Muhle R41 one of my favorites and beyond any doubt one of the best razors ever made.
For the daily shaving I use the Progress on levels from 1 to 3. At these levels, the Progress is roughly on a level with the Rockwell 6S with the plates R3 to R5. From 3.5 we are already on the same level as the Rockwell 6S with R6 and from level 4 upwards the progress is already on the same level as the R41.
While I only switch the plates from shave to shave with the Rockwell 6S, I mostly use the Progress with the growth on Level 1.5 to 2, across the growth on 2 to 2.5 and against the growth up to level 3 to 3.5.
My favorite blades are the Voshkod, Gillette Silver Blue, Sharks, ASP and ***.
Thumbs of for a great Razor :thumbup1:

View attachment 1090026
Thanks, you have talked me out of a Rockwell 6S, since I normally use a Progress on settings 3 to 4.

Isn't the Parker with a higher profile head? Which will inevitably change the shaving angle, and also make reaching below your nose harder. Also I've read at least 2 reports of the Variant breaking after 2 or so years. Never had anything like that with the Merkurs.
I really enjoy my Progress over the last seven years, but I have started to notice chalkiness on a small part of the threads on the post of the top cap that won't scrub off. I hope this isn't the beginning of the Zamac death throes spelling the end of the razor's life. Has anyone else experienced this?

I really enjoy my Progress over the last seven years, but I have started to notice chalkiness on a small part of the threads on the post of the top cap that won't scrub off. I hope this isn't the beginning of the Zamac death throes spelling the end of the razor's life. Has anyone else experienced this?

Clean as best you can and put some paint or nail polish on it. That will keep the moisture out.

That chalkiness on the threads I have on a 60s Tech. Zamak top plate. Can't clean it whatever I try. At least a top cap for the Progress can be bought. Merkur used to have 10 years warranty a few years ago. Not sure if that is the case now

Top Bottom