What's new

Merkur Progress first impressions

I was planning on starting at level 1. I shave every day and use mild razors with sharper blades. My goal with the Progess was to see if I could do the in-between, say a 1.25 or 1.5 to really get specific mildness. It can do that, right?
Even on setting 1 with very sharp blades it is a bit more aggressive than, say, a Tech. The reason is it has a very specific blade curve and angle. Also the particular guard cutting.

Glad you like your new razor. I bought a Progress years ago - and I was a little concerned because it was on the expensive side and I didn't need any more razors - but I love mine. Enjoy the shaves. Thanks for the bump - the next time I open a new blade, I'm going to stick it in my Progress.

Even on setting 1 with very sharp blades it is a bit more aggressive than, say, a Tech. The reason is it has a very specific blade curve and angle. Also the particular guard cutting.
Thanks for the heads up. I have the bakelite 45 and it has a severe angle. I read the progress has a similar steep angle. Intense for sure!

Thanks for the heads up. I have the bakelite 45 and it has a severe angle. I read the progress has a similar steep angle. Intense for sure!
Yes, the blade curving is somewhat similar in the Progress and the Bakelite, but even with a very sharp blade the Bakelite is like a kitten compared to the Progress with the same sharp blade on setting 2. I have the Bakelite since it was released.

Yes, the blade curving is somewhat similar in the Progress and the Bakelite, but even with a very sharp blade the Bakelite is like a kitten compared to the Progress with the same sharp blade on setting 2. I have the Bakelite since it was released.

Wow! So would you say that setting 1 is more aggressive than a 34C?

Haven't tried the Progress @1 yet. I like aggressive shaves. And I don't have a 34C anymore. But I wouldn't be surprised if at setting 1 the Progress is slightly more aggressive. It's the different head geometry. The 34C is made to be mild. No wonder many users here on the forum recommend it to newbies. And I wouldn't recommend the Progress to newbies. Especially at the higher settings it could be as dangerous as the R41 for inexperienced users.

Haven't tried the Progress @1 yet. I like aggressive shaves. And I don't have a 34C anymore. But I wouldn't be surprised if at setting 1 the Progress is slightly more aggressive. It's the different head geometry. The 34C is made to be mild. No wonder many users here on the forum recommend it to newbies. And I wouldn't recommend the Progress to newbies. Especially at the higher settings it could be as dangerous as the R41 for inexperienced users.
Well I appreciate it. I will do my own testing this week after my Progress gets here and I will share my thoughts. My needs are probably different from yours and we'll see if it can do what I need it to do.

I shaved with the Progress twice. Even on setting 1, it's pretty aggressive. Not sure if it's the shape of the safety bar or the blade gap, but it's not mild even on setting 1. My face is smooth as a eunuch's, like hair never sprouted from my face at all. It's probably the closest shave I've ever had but I've got lots of pink and red marks on my face.

This is not the mild daily shaver I am looking for, but it's great for the collection. The knob looks like bakelite and looks much better in person, not like a crappy plastic afterthought. It does indeed ooze style!

Next stop, Edwin Jagger!

Last edited:
I started shaving with a Fat Boy as the first new razor I bought as a teenager. The Fat Boy and Slim were my exclusive razors until I joined B&B when I bought a Progress. I had a calibration issue with it but found it was an excellent razor and I preferred it to my FB and Slim. However, I did have it converted to a Mergress. It is still in my rotation.

I shaved with the Progress twice. Even on setting 1, it's pretty aggressive...

...This is not the mild daily shaver I am looking for, but it's great for the collection.

The first few shaves with my Progress were a bloody mess. It was unlike any other razor I have in a fairly extensive collection.

A dozen shaves later and I'm not as scared of it as I was when I first got it. Takes some getting used to, the pressure and angle required, but I'm now able to get nick free shaves with no irritation. Hope you stick with yours and don't let it languish as a collection piece.

The first few shaves with my Progress were a bloody mess. It was unlike any other razor I have in a fairly extensive collection.

A dozen shaves later and I'm not as scared of it as I was when I first got it. Takes some getting used to, the pressure and angle required, but I'm now able to get nick free shaves with no irritation. Hope you stick with yours and don't let it languish as a collection piece.

Thank you for that. I will continue to try and tame the beast. It's such a strange razor, I love it. But I'm a daily shaver and it's gonna take some real getting used to. I've had it on 1.5 and it might just need to stay on "1" for a while.

I shaved with the Progress twice. Even on setting 1, it's pretty aggressive. Not sure if it's the shape of the safety bar or the blade gap, but it's not mild even on setting 1. My face is smooth as a eunuch's, like hair never sprouted from my face at all. It's probably the closest shave I've ever had but I've got lots of pink and red marks on my face.

This is not the mild daily shaver I am looking for, but it's great for the collection. The knob looks like bakelite and looks much better in person, not like a crappy plastic afterthought. It does indeed ooze style!

Next stop, Edwin Jagger!

Told you so. It isn't a mild razor at all. But there is something very important here. What blade did you use on setting 1?

Too sharp. Just switch to a not-so-sharp blade and you'll see the difference.
I just got some Derbys with my Edwin Jagger. I've avoided them and can't recall if I've used them before. The first Progress shave was with German Wilkinson Sword, but they're not far from Rubies, at least not far enough. I will try the Derby Extra Dull. Thanks.

I have several Merkur razors...Progress, Mergress, 45 etc. I love my stock Progress and certainly the hot rod Mergress. I will be honest that I don't use them past 2 or 2.5. My preferred blades for them are the Voskhod or Personna Lab Blue. If I could make a suggestion though pick your fav blade and stick with it in your Progress. You'll get your technique with that razor sorted quicker IMO.

I have several Merkur razors...Progress, Mergress, 45 etc. I love my stock Progress and certainly the hot rod Mergress. I will be honest that I don't use them past 2 or 2.5. My preferred blades for them are the Voskhod or Personna Lab Blue. If I could make a suggestion though pick your fav blade and stick with it in your Progress. You'll get your technique with that razor sorted quicker IMO.

Voskhod sounds like a good move. I came to love the Rubie in milder razors, but both the progress and the 45 bakelite are really too aggressive for that blade unless I am shaving a full beard. And unless I just want them to sit there as display pieces, I gotta figure out how to make them work. A milder blade seems like the way to go. I'm open to finding a new favorite for those.

Voskhod sounds like a good move. I came to love the Rubie in milder razors, but both the progress and the 45 bakelite are really too aggressive for that blade unless I am shaving a full beard. And unless I just want them to sit there as display pieces, I gotta figure out how to make them work. A milder blade seems like the way to go. I'm open to finding a new favorite for those.
The Voskhod is my "reference" blade and it goes into every razor I get with the exception of SE of course. I know what it can do and it can't. I do however have 46 different blades in my stash that covers everything from mild to wild. Blades I will never run out of. :eek2:

Top Bottom