What's new

" Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor "

I'm a newbie to these forums and I'm ready to buy my first DE razor and I've heard and seen through a video that it is a pretty good razor and it is in my price range.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations that you might give me concerning this razor or others that might be best for someone who has sensitive skin and is prone to nicks and cuts.

Also, which blades would be best for me e.g. Merkur...Featherlite etc. And approximately how many shaves can I expect out of one blade?

I realize that on the razor and blades it depends on the user's dexterity but for someone new like myself there must be some razors and blades that are better or safer than others as far as nicks and cuts. Thank You all!

The most-recommended place to start is with a Merkur HD and one of letterk's blade sampler packs (at westcoastshaving.com), and for good reason. The HD is a quality razor that's easy to learn with and will still be a standby when you progress in your technique. Blades are too personal a choice, so it's best to have a variety. Just don't use the blade that comes with the HD (or the Progress, should you decide to go that route).

Derby is a brand of blade that won't beat you up too much. On average people get about 2-5 shaves from them but it varies based on a lot of factors. Some factors include the coarseness of your beard, how long you leave shaving, the manufacturing of the blade itself, the alignment of the planets, etc.

Welcome aboard.

Most recommendations will be for the Merkur HD. It is a good all around razor. As far as blades as concerned, you should really attempt to try more than a few to find the best blade for your face. If you do a quick search of the forums you should find sources for the such packs.

Good luck with your new addiction.

Daniel

I'm not sure, I'm in the same boat as you my friend. Though, frmo what I keep reading, I wouldnt suggest using the feather blades, as they seem to be really sharp and for pepole with experince at using the correct angles and stuff.

+1 on the HD and westcoastshaving sample pack. I have been using a westshaving with a DE for a couple of months. I picked up a HD. I have ound the razor to be easy to use and that it has a great balance.

The Progress definitely has a following on B&B. While I have never tried it, it appears to be a great razor.

Good luck.

+1 on the HD and westcoastshaving sample pack. I have been using a westshaving with a DE for a couple of months. I picked up a HD. I have ound the razor to be easy to use and that it has a great balance.

The Progress definitely has a following on B&B. While I have never tried it, it appears to be a great razor.

Good luck.

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate your input on the razors...I will look at the Merkur HD and I will check out the sample pack ideas for the blades.

You may also wish to try a Gillette Tech or something like that. In my view, the Merkur Hd was quite aggressive (at least for me), a Tech would be a lot smoother. I think there were also other old Gillettes that were very smooth.

I know that I am in the minority on this, but I think the Progress is an excellent choice for a first razor.

The recommendation for the HD seems to be based on the theory that you should focus on technique and not on fiddling with the adjustment of your razor.

I would concur that you should initially focus on technique. But respectfully submit to you that it is possible to get the Progress, set it on 2 and leave it there for a month or two trying a few different blades and working on your technique.

Then when you are confident in your technique and want to experiment, you can do so without getting a different razor. That was in part my thoughts on the subject, not knowinig if the HD would be right for me.

Now I must admit that the logic, though sound, has not proven to be true in my case as I have continued to buy more razors. I don’t know why, I just can't pass them up when I find them.

Regards,

Mike

I recommend the Merkur 38C. Same head as the HD but with a longer handle. It is my first and only DE and I have had good luck with it. It is heavier the the HD and has a good grip and balance. I personally don't think an adjustable DE is necessary.

Also - read the reviews of the Progress and 38C on this site under reviews.

Welcome to B&B, RGarr.

All of the razors that have mentioned are good. They all have their pluses and minuses, and you'll only find what you like best by trying the various razors.

Aesthetics is another thing to consider -- pick out one that you think looks good.

Some people think that the Progress's smooth handle is a drawback. The knurled handles on the most of the other Merkurs, and old Gillettes, give a more secure grip.

Let us know what you decide on, and tell us how your shaving goes!

I recommend the Merkur 38C. Same head as the HD but with a longer handle. It is my first and only DE and I have had good luck with it. It is heavier the the HD and has a good grip and balance. I personally don't think an adjustable DE is necessary.

Also - read the reviews of the Progress and 38C on this site under reviews.

The 38 was my first as well. I'm trying some other razors now, a red tip and a tech, both I received from members here. I like them all for different reasons. I would think the HD or the 38 would be a good first razor, but the 38 seems to be a love it or hate it razor. The tech I have is EXTREAMLY mild. The red tip is more agressive, but less than the 38. I'm not sure how, but it's just different.

One other thing, I don't think the Feather's are as bad as most make them out to be. They are sharp, but in a 38 they are an amazing blade. I don't think they should be your first blade, but not as scary as they're made out to be. I cut myself on milder blades because of bad technique and prep problems. ALL blades need to be respected, not just the feather. :biggrin:

Welcome

I would highly recommend the HD as a starter razor, mine is in my rotation at least twice a week.

Actually, buy many many razors, find whats suits you best, then send the rest to me for safekeeping :tongue_sm

Regards
Nigel

The HD is a fine starter razor. The Progress is just as nice. I tend to set my Progress somewhere between 2 and 3, which is basically the same as the HD's only setting.

==Tom

The HD is a fine starter razor. The Progress is just as nice. I tend to set my Progress somewhere between 2 and 3, which is basically the same as the HD's only setting.

==Tom

You all have helped me a lot and I really appreciate it but I'm going to ask you one more question since I'm somewhat confused because of so many razors mentioned. If we narrowed the starter razors down to just 3 like the Merkur HD; the Merkur Progress; and one more...then put them in order of 1 thru 3...1 being the first choice what would they be?

You all have helped me a lot and I really appreciate it but I'm going to ask you one more question since I'm somewhat confused because of so many razors mentioned. If we narrowed the starter razors down to just 3 like the Merkur HD; the Merkur Progress; and one more...then put them in order of 1 thru 3...1 being the first choice what would they be?

Merkur HD, Progress, A vintage Gillette Superspeed.

==Tom

If you have sensitive skin, and are prone to nicks & cuts, I think you will find the HD to be too aggressive for you. At least to start out with. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I would suggest a Gillette Tech or a Gillette SuperSpeed, which you could pick up in the shopping forum here on B&B. Both of these razors are very mild, non-aggressive types, that will allow you to fine tune your technique, without giving you razor rash. Additionally, these razors are less prone to nicks & cuts.
Ken

1 Merkur Progress
2 Merkur Progress
3 Merkur Progress

The Merkur Progress is the greatest shaving tool ever invented. I started out on a Progress, then moved to a 66 Slim Adjustable, A Super Speed and a Merkur 38c, but found that the Progress was better then everything I tried.

As mentioned before, it is possible to just set your Progress on a low setting and leave it there while you work on your technique. Once you've mastered that, then you can start to work with adjusting your razor. A bonus to this is that once you are ready to start using the adjustable feature of your razor, you won't have to lay out any more cash for another razor.

im not sure an adjustable is the best tool for a new user,

anyways, my weapon of choice and the easiest shave comes from my schick krona, its cheap, good and simple to use, pair it with a red personna and you have an instrument of precision,

Top Bottom