What's new

Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor: Review

After I got my Merkur 34c Heavy Duty Safety Razor, I decided to send away for this to help with those problematic areas at the corners of my mouth and directly under the nostrils. The razor itself is good—Merkur's famous engineering has produced yet another razor that has good weight and balance. The problem is that the blades themselves, which apparently only Merkur manufactures, are terribly dull, with much pulling and tugging. This makes what would be an otherwise outstanding detailing razor a somewhat mediocre one, which is a shame because with properly sharp blades I think this puppy could really shine.

That said, it should be noted that the razor is for detailing and for getting at more difficult-to0shave places like mouth corners and under nostrils, and the narrow end especially for getting the space between sideburns and ears. It's not really designed for any other purpose. I think a lot of people get this believing it can be used for more general shaving or for shaving off a fully grown mustache, just going on the bulk of negative reviews I've read. So perhaps the poorer reputation stems from ignorance of what the razor is actually meant for.

I've read that the blades for this razor are proprietary and therefore cannot be legally replicated. Have there been any attempts to petition Merkur to commission sharper blades out of Gillette's famous St. Petersburg plant, or some other arrangement that would yield sharper blades? I'm curious. Surely, at least, there must be some way to get in contact with Merkur and request something be done.

Attachments

• mk907x1000.jpg
    mk907x1000.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 13
  • rb-mer-149.jpg
    rb-mer-149.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 14
I've never been a fan of Merkur blades. Sad that this doesn't allow for improvisation.
I've read comments by people who managed to use specialized scissors to cut Feather or other blades to fit this razor. It's some work involved, but apparently doable. I've not the time, tools, or patience to do it myself, but I sent an email to Dovo-Merkur requesting that they either learn the secrets of Gillette's St. Petersburg team or commission the factory to manufacture sharp blades.

I’ve been looking at this razor but when I got my 23c I found the merkur blades terribly dull. This makes me ponder this purchase. Maybe we will get an answer from Merkur.

Got an email reply from DOVO-Merkur:

Thank you very much for your email.

The reason the moustache razor blades are not as sharp as the regular DE blades is in the way they are produced. Due to their unusual shape, they are produced in strips of 4 blades (2 with the narrow side up, the other 2 with the wide side up to form a straight line) which is needed to sharpen the edges. Afterwards they are broken by hand into individual blades, then packaged by hand into paraffin paper. During these two production steps they lose some of their sharpness.

Regarding your excellent suggestion to get know-how from Gillette I am afraid they do not share their techniques, and our annual requirement for moustache blades is way too insignificant for Gillette to even consider production for us.

Best regards,
Anne Rothstein
DOVO/MERKUR​

Top Bottom