What's new

Merkur Mk34c & Muhle R106

Been thinking of picking both of these up for awhile
does anyone have any experience with one?
Are they a good mild razor?
What would your recommendations be for a closed comb razor?

I have a EJ D89 that should work exactly the same as the R106. Between the two, I actually prefer the 89 over the 34 as I have a more comfortable shave with the former. The 89 heads seem to have tighter tolerances to compared to the 34. Anyway, this is very subjective, YMMV.

I have a EJ D89 that should work exactly the same as the R106. Between the two, I actually prefer the 89 over the 34 as I have a more comfortable shave with the former. The 89 heads seem to have tighter tolerances to compared to the 34. Anyway, this is very subjective, YMMV.
I had thought about the EJ D89 but wasn't sure how it compared to the other two i mentioned, thanks for the suggestion.

I had thought about the EJ D89 but wasn't sure how it compared to the other two i mentioned, thanks for the suggestion.
Oh! Just know that handles and weights play a part too. The head may be exactly the same, but, may perform differently as a whole. If you prefer the look and feel of a Muhle R106, then you should probably get it instead. Maybe even the Merkur 34c if you think you'll like it more. They're both solid options, I just personally enjoy 89 a little bit more.

Oh! Just know that handles and weights play a part too. The head may be exactly the same, but, may perform differently as a whole. If you prefer the look and feel of a Muhle R106, then you should probably get it instead.
I'm looking for one with a heavier handle.

The 34c was the razor I started out with. I can attest that it's indeed a mild shaver, though admittedly not as efficient as some other razors like my Parker 87R. It's a short, hefty little razor with nice balance as others have said.

Both the Muhle 106 and the Merkur 34 are desirable. They have similar aggression. But the Muhle 106 has a higher level of workmanship and is a marginally smoother shaver.

I would opt for the Muhle 106.

The 34c was the razor I started out with. I can attest that it's indeed a mild shaver, though admittedly not as efficient as some other razors like my Parker 87R. It's a short, hefty little razor with nice balance as others have said.
You recommended the Parker 87R what are your opinions on the Parker 76R?

Both the Muhle 106 and the Merkur 34 are desirable. They have similar aggression. But the Muhle 106 has a higher level of workmanship and is a marginally smoother shaver.

I would opt for the Muhle 106.
Thanks for the suggestion, i may just have to get both and learn to be poor for afew days lol

I have both...both shave good...I get a better shave with the Merkur 35C...coz perhaps i can work better with the shorter handle....I never thought I'd prefer shorter handles but am being proven wrong as I really seem to be doing better with razors that have shorter handles..like the Rex Envoy and the Karve with the 3 or 3.25 inch handle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Get the Merkur 34C first and use it for a few weeks; it has good balance and delivers great shaves. The R109 has a longer handle and is lighter but the head is the same as the R89 / DE89.
Thanks for the advice, ordered it just now

It is great you made your choice and it is an excellent choice. Don't look back. The two are so very similar, there is no need to acquire both. Master it, and you either have a tool for life, or you can move on to something different down the road.

It is great you made your choice and it is an excellent choice. Don't look back. The two are so very similar, there is no need to acquire both. Master it, and you either have a tool for life, or you can move on to something different down the road.
You're right.
I'm glad i found this forum.

You recommended the Parker 87R what are your opinions on the Parker 76R?

I've never tried it, but it appears to have the same head as the 87R and should shave the same, albeit with different balance due to the heavier weight handle.

Enjoy your new 34C. It's a fine razor. :001_smile

The 34C oozes old school charm with its 2 piece design but the chrome finish on the Muhle is far better and because it's a 3 piece design it gives you options for swapping a handle or replacing the head.

I have both and prefer the Muhle (but not by much).

Top Bottom