What's new

Merkur Manufacturer Warranty Info

Here is the reply I received from Merkur (Dovo). Note no "lifetime" warranty, just 10-years, but does not matter where you got the razor.

Thank you very much for your email. We have a 10 year warranty on our products for production or material faults. This DOES NOT include normal wear and tear, or abuse and misuse. This warranty is honored no matter where you buy a new MERKUR razor.

Best regards,
Anne Rothstein
DOVO/MERKUR Stahlwaren
Solingen/Germany
phone: ++49-212-2300135
fax: ++49-212-313612
e-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks for the very interesting info. I always blindly trusted the people who mentioned that Merkur had a lifetime warranty because of the way these razors are built. I never researched it either actually. A quick search on the net mentions that some of the Merkur products have a lifetime warranty (mainly manicure sets) but I can't find any details on razors except for a few sites which mention the 10 year warranty.

Notice their email says "regardless of where you buy a new Murker razor." (emphasis added). That implies that the warranty does not cover a used razor that you bought from someone else, no matter how recent its vintage. They might chose to take care for you just for customer service reasons, but it looks like you would not be covered by the warranty.

Strange, when I purchased my NEW Merkur Vision 2000 from Calssic, I believe I was told that it had a limited lifetime warranty. Who knows?:001_huh:

guenron said:
Strange, when I purchased my NEW Merkur Vision 2000 from Calssic, I believe I was told that it had a limited lifetime warranty. Who knows?:001_huh:

Ron,

Ditto for me as well. No matter, after 10 years I would not have a problem with buying a new one, most likely would anyhow...

Bud

From a practical standpoint do you think they would ask for a original receipt to repair a razor? (do you have yours from 9 years ago-?)

I remember a post about a broken vision (I think) and parts were mailed at the owners request very promply.

BTW does Murkurs have dates on them?

Jim,
I do not know about a date or manufacturer codes (I thought you would ask), but I do know this:
The Merkur firm and staff have stood behind their product in every case I have heard. They have been responsive to customer demands, some so ridiculous that I would not have honored them, but in so doing have earned my respect and repeated business. I think their classic razor head is probably one of the most cost effective for the general DE shaving public and the general acceptance of its efficacy is proof positive of this fact..
My hat's off to gute Frau Rothstein for excellent customer service and DOVO Merkur for continuing to produce fine products for the DE niche crowd.:001_wub:

I can attest to Merkur's service, as it was my Vision that broke and Anne was great in getting me a new set of parts to fix it.

Unfortunately, now the adjustment ring is not working so I'll find out how they handle this problem. I've sent Ms. Rothstein a post to get an address to return the razor to, and will update everyone as to the resolution of the issue.

Rather interesting, here is the reply I received when I inquired on the lifetime warranty on the Vision: Now, is it true the Vision has a lifetime or just a ten year warranty?

It could be that the Vision has a lifetime warranty and the other Merkurs have a ten year since I only asked about the Vision. I really don't believe it makes much of a difference, after ten years use, I would most likely prefer to buy a new razor anyhow. Regardless, if you have a problem, Merkur has an excellent reputation for customer service and will take care of you.

Cut and pasted reply from Merkur:

Hello,

it is true that we give a lifetime warrenty on manufacturing errors. Normally they appear within the first months.

Excluded are damages by downfalls and malfunctions by false handling or few cleaning.

Best regards

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Wiethoff

- Technischer Leiter –

DOVO Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG

Böcklinstr. 10

D – 42719 Solingen

Tel.: 02 12 / 23 00 1 – 14

Fax: 02 12 / 31 36 12

E-mail: [email protected]

Internet. www.dovo.com

:mad3:
Hello,

I have had problems with my Merkur Futur – in fact there are also problems with other razors from Merkur.
It is quite apparent to me that with the take over of their company both their warrantee, products and customer service has dropped to all time lows.

1. The lifetime warrantee then became 10 years its now 2 years only
2. The Futur has problems with the adjustable mechanism – after a while it will tilt to the side exposing more blade on one side – the head will also move backwards and forwards – where once it was rock solid.
3. I was told to photograph the problem which I did.
4. No comments made regarding photographs.
5. After pressing regarding warrantee and sending them the link for the 10 year one
6. Just we only give a 2 year warrantee – send the razor to us – we don’t send out replacements without you sending us your razor. If we don’t agree you don’t get a replacement.
7. The chrome on other razors by Merkur is poor – new one recently has chrome missing where the blade goes!!

Merkur are not what they where and are not standing by their products.

I already answered you that we only give 2 years of warrenty.
Please send your razor to us free of charge for inspection.
I will personally look at it and you won't get any replacenment if it is not well temted.

We don't send replacements without inspection.
U. Wiethoff [[email protected]]

--

Best regards

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Wiethoff
- Prokurist –

DOVO Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG
Böcklinstr. 10
D – 42719 Solingen

Tel.: 02 12 / 23 00 1 – 14
Fax: 02 12 / 31 36 12
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet. www.dovo.com

I am very disapointed by this company

It would appear there is a dramatic downslide in Merkur's customer care model. Likely, this is reflective of the quality of product they are producing. There were a couple of recent threads that discussed Merkur QA.

It would appear there is a dramatic downslide in Merkur's customer care model. Likely, this is reflective of the quality of product they are producing. There were a couple of recent threads that discussed Merkur QA.

If the original post wasn't nearly 4 years old, I might have laughed out loud at the statements made, given my recent dealing with Merkur, and their stance that you can't clean or get your razors wet.

"We have a 10 year warranty on our products for production or material faults."

This does NOT cover corrosion or plating loss though, which is funny, because the plating process to me is part of production and/or material.

If the original post wasn't nearly 4 years old, I might have laughed out loud at the statements made, given my recent dealing with Merkur, and their stance that you can't clean or get your razors wet.

"We have a 10 year warranty on our products for production or material faults."

This does NOT cover corrosion or plating loss though, which is funny, because the plating process to me is part of production and/or material.
Yes, your situation clearly highlights the dramatic decrease in quality (support, warranty or otherwise) that Merkur has embarked on. Apparently, they feel their quality and service business model wasn't profitable enough and, hence, the change in their policies. Unfortunate, as I have been a supportive Merkur customer but now I can no longer give them the recommendation I previously have.

Let me start by saying I don't like that Merkur steps down from their previous policies neither. But on the other hand there aren't many companies which can compete. Most of the others have either stopped making DE razors or are making crappy razors or are selling hideously overpriced razors.

That's no excuse for a badly engineered product if you have got one, alright. But selling most of the double edge razors on the planet by far is always a guarantee that some will turn up faulty. And there will be blokes who abuse the guarantee by contacting Merkur after many years albeit their razor is showing only normal wear.

Let me start by saying I don't like that Merkur steps down from their previous policies neither. But on the other hand there aren't many companies which can compete. Most of the others have either stopped making DE razors or are making crappy razors or are selling hideously overpriced razors.

That's no excuse for a badly engineered product if you have got one, alright. But selling most of the double edge razors on the planet by far is always a guarantee that some will turn up faulty. And there will be blokes who abuse the guarantee by contacting Merkur after many years albeit their razor is showing only normal wear.

I agree with you, but I also disagree. I understand people abuse the policies. But I not only still have the original boxes my razors come in, but sent pictures of the damage to the razors. Besides the plating loss, they are in excellent physical shape.

Look at Zippo. They make lighters with a lifetime guarantee. I can send them a lighter I buy at the flea market, and they will repair it for free, give it new guts, and send the repaired lighter and the original insert back to me. All for something that costs 2x-3x less than a razor.

Having a warranty decrease from lifetime, to 10 years and now 2 years isn't simply a result of end user abuse. It's a move on the part of Merkur to stabilize or increase profits. There is nothing wrong with that. However, if a razor is only warranteed for only 2 years, I must conclude the quality is such that Merkur expects to a good portion to fail after two years but before 10 years are up (their previous warranty standard). There have been a number of issues on relativley current Merkur razors that are not merely typical 'wear and tear' issues but are genunie defects.

Going from lifetime warranty to 2 years warranty is a sure sign that Merkur knows the products they are building are not up to previous standards. Hence, my reluctance to recommend them highly as I once had. They don't make dreadful product, their product is simply as not as good as it used to be.

Last edited:
Having a warranty decrease from lifetime, to 10 years and now 2 years isn't simply a result of end user abuse. It's a move on the part of Merkur to stabilize or increase profits.
Agreed.
However, if a razor is only warranteed for only 2 years, I must conclude the quality is such that Merkur expects to a good portion to fail after two years but before 10 years are up (their previous warranty standard).
This is open for debate. It may look like Merkur is only sure of a two year flawless lifespan. But IMO most manufacturing defects are found within these two years if not even within days.
There have been a number of issues on relativley current Merkur razors that are not merely typical 'wear and tear' issues but are genunie defects.
There have been a number of perceived issues resulting out of broader audience on wet shaving forums like this. There have been issues in the past and there always will be errors on Merkurs and the sellers behalf. I yet have to read of a warranty claim which occured after two years of the initial buying.

Looks like I'm a die hard fan Merkur fanboy. But reality is I really like warranty claims showing up and saying Merkur what's wrong. It gets the DE scene moving, though it's unnverving for the buyer.
They don't make dreadful product, their product is simply as not as good as it used to be.
In other words, Merkur is now making disposables?
:lol::lol:

Looks like I'm a die hard fan Merkur fanboy. But reality is I really like warranty claims showing up and saying Merkur what's wrong. It gets the DE scene moving, though it's unnverving for the buyer.

I think you touch upon an important point. I'm sure that if there are claims, many occur within the 2 year window. However, if there not a lot a claims after this period, then why limit the warranty when it was once a lifetime one? I'm speculating it's because the current line of razors cannot stand up for the long run, unlike their previous offerings. Anyway, it's not about being a 'fanboy' or a 'basher' but about giving Merker a fair shake in the matter but also recognizing the legitimate concerns consumers have about their products.

I bought my first Merkur Progress in 1964 or 5, and back then they had QC issues with the plating, and the adjustment not being repeatable - yes, the same complaints that you read of today. One of my favorite razors is the Jagger, and I think the Jagger/Muhle has much, much better fit and finish than today's Merkurs.

That being said, I recently bought a polished chrome Futur; the plating is flawless, and the workmanship quite good. I'm happy with it and use it often.

Apparently it's a crapshoot with Merkur...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom