What's new

merkur HD problem?

I am new at this whole DE shaving thing so forgive me if I am crazy here. It seems though that my HD has a different aggressiveness on the two sides. Look at the picture and the blade on the left is far more exposed then the blade on the right. will this difference effect my shave?

proxy.php
[/QUOTE]

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the gap on the left is larger than the gap on the right. That is not correct. Either the blade itself is bent or is somehow loaded incorrectly, or perhaps the business end of the razor is bent. Did you buy this new? Did it get dropped?

Last edited:
OK... I see it but am new into DE shaving about two months. So will give my simple advice, get a new razor as it looks defective.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the gap on the left is larger than the gap on the right. That is not correct. Either the blade itself is bent or is somehow loaded incorrectly, or perhaps the business end of the razor is bent. Did you buy this new? Did it get dropped?

bought it new from westcoastshaving just got it yesterday, and yes the gap on the left is much larger then the gap on the right.

J

Jarmo P

It could be that the head cap screw is not optimally soldered, so a replacement of the head cap might help.

Then again there are tolerances in blade holes/stubs and also turning the head cap 180 degree and reloading might help.

Yes that looks wrong. I would try another blade from a different pack just to make sure its not a blade issue. If the razor is defective letterk will set it straight I'm sure.

To my eye, it almost looks like the safety bar on the left is actually lower than the one on the right. Of course, that would create the blade gap issue. I would definitely contact westcoastshaving, I'm sure they will get you a new one right away. Those guys are top notch.

I guess you should contact WCS and tell them your story. I am sure as long as you haven't dropped it of broken a sink with it, they will help you out.

I have read threads about Merkur giving out free replacements even if there is damage at times due to human error.

I don't know what is it with wet shaving, that all associated with it in true old school fashion keep gentleman's words !! :biggrin:

thanks everybody, I will contact WCS when he opens back up. I just used my Gillette super adjustable on #4 to shave with today and I did not get the first cut. With the HD I had been getting 2-3 cuts a shave, I guess because of the gap change.

Top Bottom