What's new

Merkur HD no more! Fat boy! .

I think I am no longer going to use my HD. The past three-four days I have had the best shaving experiences with my 1958 Gillette Fatboy. I could never get such a close shave with the HD. I was only using it at 2-3 with a Feather blade. I can't believe I was struggling to get BBS with the Merkur when it was staring me in the face everyday ala fat boy.

Always nice to have a success story. I am working on learning my fatboy just got it the other day. Glad to see it can come around.

Fuzzy

It's hard to beat an adjustable. The Slant is the only nonadjustable I've found (in my still quite limited experience) that gives me as close a shave as an adjustable.

I think I am no longer going to use my HD. The past three-four days I have had the best shaving experiences with my 1958 Gillette Fatboy. I could never get such a close shave with the HD. I was only using it at 2-3 with a Feather blade. I can't believe I was struggling to get BBS with the Merkur when it was staring me in the face everyday ala fat boy.

Don't give up on the HD. I had the same problem, went back to the HD after using my gillette superspeeds for a couple months and I'm getting bbs two pass shaves from it.

Clayton

Good advise. I Think it'll just sit on my stand for a few weeks. I wasn't going to sell it! It still looks good, anyway.

I can't believe I thought the fat boy was mediocre. :eek:

@wchnu,

If you start to use it, don't set it too high even though it feels like a light shaver. I think the reason I didn't like it for a few months was because I was trying to use it set to 5-6.Too high! I have a heavy beard and 3 with a feather is the highest I'd go.

I made the same switch recently which I mentioned in post #31 of this thread. Sometimes one shave can be better than another and we may attribute it to the wrong cause, so last night I did some experimenting. I loaded up a Fat Boy and my HD with new Derby blades, lathered up my face and shaved each side with a different razor. The Fat Boy was the clear winner. I don't think it's because it's an adjustable. The reason for the Fat Boy getting the easy win was that it glided over the skin noticeably easier than the HD. My theory is that the safety bar design of the Fat Boy is superior than the HD's. The HD safety bar has more surface area, possibly causing more drag, and a different pattern of grooves.

My next shave will be a comparison of the Fat Boy and the Slim. Since there aren't such obvious design differences as in last night's comparison, I'm doubting the difference in shave quality will be as drastic, but it seems from the reviews here that the Slim is more preferred so the Fat Boy and the Slim are going to have to duke it out.

I made the same switch recently which I mentioned in post #31 of this thread. Sometimes one shave can be better than another and we may attribute it to the wrong cause, so last night I did some experimenting. I loaded up a Fat Boy and my HD with new Derby blades, lathered up my face and shaved each side with a different razor. The Fat Boy was the clear winner. I don't think it's because it's an adjustable. The reason for the Fat Boy getting the easy win was that it glided over the skin noticeably easier than the HD. My theory is that the safety bar design of the Fat Boy is superior than the HD's. The HD safety bar has more surface area, possibly causing more drag, and a different pattern of grooves.

My next shave will be a comparison of the Fat Boy and the Slim. Since there aren't such obvious design differences as in last night's comparison, I'm doubting the difference in shave quality will be as drastic, but it seems from the reviews here that the Slim is more preferred so the Fat Boy and the Slim are going to have to duke it out.

Very cool experiment. I can't wait to see what you find when comparing the slim and the fatty. The merkur did drag on my face more often than my fat boy. I can hardly feel the blade!

Glad you're interested in how tonight's fight went, Disburden. :biggrin:

I was going to give a blow by blow detailing the two rounds (passes) between the Fat Boy and the Slim, but the match was pretty boring. I took a hot shower and lathered up each side of my face as equally as possible with Provence Sante. The left side of my face got a '59 Fat Boy and the right side a '65 Slim, each dialed to 6. Both passes were pretty equal and I could not pick one side as getting a superior shave in any way. I was hoping there would be some exciting blows and knock downs to share, but each razor held its own and I had to call a draw- oh well. The next fight should be more exciting: Derby vs. Feather. :w00t:

Top Bottom