What's new

merkur hd - different versions?

since i'm new to the wetshaving business, i had no idea there were even two (maybe more?) versions of the merkur hd

one was the open comb and the other was the standard

whats the difference? which version should i get for my first razor?

I'd get the standard HD, not the open comb, were I you. In fact, I have one on the way right now after reading all of the great reviews and testimonials.

There is also a long handled HD, which may be a good choice for you depending on your size/height/hand size.

Random brings up a good point. What purpose does the comb server? Never used a razor with one.

Rik said:
Random brings up a good point. What purpose does the comb server? Never used a razor with one.

Classicschaving's site says:

The open comb allows a closer shave while still providing maximum protection from the blade's edge.

Most guys on the forums say they can't tell that big of a difference.

Rik said:
Hi Rik,
Simply put, the open comb form was the predecessor of the safety bar.. The open comb serves the same purpose as the safety bar. It keeps the blade edge from being the fulcrum of the razor on your face.

The safety bar models appeared around the same time the DE blades became thinner, etc. Some account for alleged inferior performance of the open comb models today for just that reason, i.e. thinner blades, and have fashioned shims, etc. to provide a geometry similar to that created by the older blades..

guenron said:
Hi Rik,
Simply put, the open comb form was the predecessor of the safety bar.. The open comb serves the same purpose as the safety bar. It keeps the blade edge from being the fulcrum of the razor on your face.

The safety bar models appeared around the same time the DE blades became thinner, etc. Some account for alleged inferior performance of the open comb models today for just that reason, i.e. thinner blades, and have fashioned shims, etc. to provide a geometry similar to that created by the older blades..
Thanks Ron!

I learn something new everyday. :smile:

Rik,
YASUOXXXX, aka John, is an afficionado of the open comb. He apparently has the details of the models and dates where Gillette changed from open comb to safety bar, etc..
I think he has founded the Creative Anachronism and Open Comb Society. :mellow:

pics of the long handled one anybody?

i guess the standard is better than the open comb since i'm a beginner?

randomtw said:

What standard? Are you refering to the Classic with an open comb or a safety bar? Or a LH Classic?
Here's a picture for you..
full
LH Classic with safety bar on the extreme left.

Last edited by a moderator:
randomtw said:

If by standard you are referring to the closed or regular comb model, then from my experience I would say yes, it is better.

Right you are James. It seems because there is something called an open comb some gents think there must be an opposite, or closed comb. Well as you know there isn't. Just because the newer razors have a safety bar doesn't mean the older razors have an unsafe-ty bar either.
It appears that since there is no accepted dictionary of razor names and parts everyone comes up with their own and it makes communication difficult if not an abysmal failure leading to outright confusion.

damnit can you guys please stop confusing me lol
its hard enough deciding on what razor to buy then i'm told theres this and this :(

i'm set on buying the merkur hd

basically theres 3 different versions for this one right?
the standard one
the open comb one
and the slant bar one

randomtw said:
damnit can you guys please stop confusing me lol
its hard enough deciding on what razor to buy then i'm told theres this and this :(

i'm set on buying the merkur hd

basically theres 3 different versions for this one right?
the standard one
the open comb one
and the slant bar one

:biggrin:

Standard (short handle)- that is one you want
Open comb - you don't want this one
Slant bar - you don't want this one

The standard comes in a short handle (the one you will want) and the long handle. You want the short handle. I am predicting you will open the box and be pretty underwhelmed at the size of the razor - it is fairly small but heavy. Small is a good thing as you can easily adjust the angle of the razor without a long handle getting in the way (all IMO of course...).

Dennis

The standard HD was my first and only DE razor. I love it so much....I have never considered buying another razor.

Get an HD if you are new to DE shaving. Give it some time to perfect....you will love it.

I would have LOVED to pick up a 1904 at Cheapeake Knife and Tools going out of business sale, but they didn't carry them.

Top Bottom