What's new

Merkur HD Classic VS. Merkur Classic

The store I bought my Merkur from only sold one type of Merkur which they called the HD. But I looked at pictures of the HD online and mine doesn't look like it. Mine resembles the Merkur Classic, the cheapest razor merkur makes. I just wanted to know the differeces between the two razors. Would I notice a difference in the shave. I'm guessing the HD is just heavier which makes you apply less pressure on the skin. True? Is the Merkur Classic (not HD) still a good razor?

Very good. The longer handle is preferred by myself, others ofcourse prefer the shorter handle. The weight is different but I think starting out with the lighter longer handle has advantages, the biggest being it most closely resembles other razors. I like the short HD as well, you can hold it in many unique ways since the handle is so . . . well, short.

If I were to recommend a razor it would be the classic with the longer handle, the lighter weight makes for a more refined shave. Many, many others prefer the HD. Its stubbiness is not as impressive but it shaves really well.

I can't imagine anyone knowledgable with both that would say either one was bad.

In my opinion either is far better than many of the other examples of a DE.

Jimmy025 said:
The store I bought my Merkur from only sold one type of Merkur which they called the HD. But I looked at pictures of the HD online and mine doesn't look like it. Mine resembles the Merkur Classic, the cheapest razor merkur makes. I just wanted to know the differeces between the two razors. Would I notice a difference in the shave. I'm guessing the HD is just heavier which makes you apply less pressure on the skin. True? Is the Merkur Classic (not HD) still a good razor?

I have the HD, Classic, Long Handle Classic, 1904, Slant and Progress. The 1904 and the Classic are my top 2 favorite Merkurs! The only difference in the 1904 and the Classic is the handle; and as a matter of fact, the handles are interchangable, for what it's worth. You most definitely do not have a bad razor. My advice is to keep it and add to your collection. A man can never have too many razors!

Top Bottom