What's new

merkur hd classic-how are you supposed to hold this razor/shave with it?

maybe its just because my facial hair hasn't really grown out yet but when i tried shaving today with it, i couldnt seem to get the angle right

does anybody have any pictures or can point me to a video that shows how you're supposed to hold the angle/shave with the merkur hd classic?

While I don't have a HD per se (I have an EJ razor with a merkur head), I may be able to help you somewhat. Try this: hold the razor parallel with the floor and slowly start the razor down your face. You should not feel or hear any whiskers being cut as the razor blade should not be making contact with your skin. As you pull the razor down your face start lowering the angle of the handle (should be pulling the handle to be in more of a perpendicular position to the floor) and at some point you will begin to feel/hear whiskers being cut. This is approximately the correct cutting angle for your face. You may have to adjust up or down but doing the above technique will get you pointed in the right direction. If the blade angle is too shallow, you won't cut any whiskers and if the blade angle is to steep you will cut yourself. Remember though that different parts of your face will require you to make blade angle adjustments. Hang in there, stick with it and it will be all worth it in the end. Feel free to ask more questions as you progress.

Well, I'm a fellow newbie. I don't think you have to wait. Gotta jump in sometime. I more of less did exactly what was recommended. No pressure on the face. Moved slowly and carefull and some sort of fell developed pretty quickly. I have shaved twice with it so far and the fear persists but is subsiding.

Ultimately I think you roughly want a 30 degree angle between the face and blade. It will define itself.

MJB

well i did a shave yesterday with my mach 3 turbo and it was a pretty close shave expect for the beard/mustache area

you could see the hairs still if u look really closely but u can't really feel them

so i tried this morning and it seems like nothing was coming off

it could be the blade (its the original one that came with the razor) or the fact that i tried using canned foam instead of a real cream

i'll post back when i recieve my sampler pack or after i grow out my facial hair more as it seems more difficult when theres barely anything to shave

One suggestion that has helped many gents is to shave a bit of the hair on your arm. This lets you see what the angle is like, etc. without learning on your face.

how lose are you supposed to hold it?

how much pressure?

i think i've heard that its supposed to feel like its skipping when you shave?

1. I prefer to hold the razor with either index finger and thumb or those two with the addition of the middle finger. I will typically hold the very tip of the handle.

2. I get my best results by letting the weight of the razor provide the pressure.

3. Razor skipping is not a desirable trait. It should smoothly glide. If it does not, then you either don't have any shave cream on your face or the cream isn't properly lubricating your face.

since i was too impatient to wait for the sampler pack of blades to arrive i decided to try the merkur hd again

this time i grew out my beard so i can see if i was actually able to shave anything off

i just used a gillete fusion shave cream (will use t&f's almond cream soon) and tried shaving

it seems that my angle was correct as i managed to shave pretty good but it wasn't as close, as i expected

thus i just used mach 3 to finish the job

i was wondering when you guys shave with the merkur hd with actual creams/soaps and a badger brush how close is your first pass? is there any need to shave against the grain to achieve a perfectly smooth shave? also is there any type of shadow in the area above the lips when you guys shave with a merkur hd?

I've been using my HD every day for a few weeks--my first pass leaves some stubble on my jaw line and neck. the 2nd pass clears up a lot of that, and the 3rd pass gets most of the rest--then I do touch up and get as close as I can.

1--NS
2--EW, WE
3--SN

Random (what is your name?)

Here are some tricks that will help you out.

Pressure
You don't need pressure, just a firm guidance for the blade. An easy way to do this is to rest the end of the handle on your pinky fingertip, while gently handling the handle with your remaining fingers. By letting your pinky finger hold the weight of the blade, the razor will hold itself against your face with the lightest of all possible pressures, which is what you want.

Your other fingers don't apply any pressure, they just help to keep the handle on your pinky.

Angle
Focus on using your upper arm and elbow for movements; don't rely on your wrist action as much. This way, your fingers can more easily hold and adjust/maintain the proper cutting angle.

Keep in mind that as curved as your face is, you will end up with many changes in angles during the shave and even during a single pass! Focus on letting your fingers do the guiding, your wrist assistancing the angle changes and your arm perfroming the motion movements.

These are techniques that helped me get better shaves. You will, of course, develop your own techniques with more practice. There is no such thing as "perfect" shaving form and technique; just seek what works well for you.

-joedy

Kyle said:
1. I prefer to hold the razor with either index finger and thumb or those two with the addition of the middle finger. I will typically hold the very tip of the handle.

2. I get my best results by letting the weight of the razor provide the pressure.

3. Razor skipping is not a desirable trait. It should smoothly glide. If it does not, then you either don't have any shave cream on your face or the cream isn't properly lubricating your face.

Kyle,

This is the best advice I've ever heard again. It changed everything for me. Thanks again! :thumbup:

it sounds like the majority of people aren't able to achieve a close shave in one pass but rather through multiple passes unlike the mach3 i guess?

i'm more curious about if this new form of wetshaving would help me get rid of the gray area above my lips which never seems to go away (even with a new mach3 cartridge)

Top Bottom