What's new

MERKUR HD and (not vs.) MERKUR FUTUR

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I started shaving with a safety razor about 2 weeks ago and joined B&B on 12/13. I have been wetshaving for about 8 years using EJ medium BB and a host of razors (atras, sensors, machs etc). Since then I have really enjoyed my experience with Merkur Futur razor. Started out on setting 1 and now use it set on 2.5. Yesterday, as i posted on SOTD it was probably one of, no it was my best shave yet. Now I received the Merkur HD in the mail yesterday, about 20 minutes after I finished shaving. After a sleepless night :biggrin: I used the HD today, late in the morning so as to have some growth to work on.

Well I absolutely loved using this razor. The manueverability of the razor is much more manageable than that of the Futur, especially around the nose and mouth. The smaller handle I found to be more comfortable albeit a different feel from that of the Futur. The blade in the HD sits something akin to, imo, a 1 to 1.5 setting on the Futur, if that. But, i did notice that the blade in the HD seems to be more secured than that of the Futur. In the Futur i seem to get some blade vibration at various times during a e-w pass (could be i just need to re-lather a bit more).

I don't want to say I like one or the other better, b/c prior to today's shave the Futur had never done me wrong. As a newb, I would say it would be easier to start on the HD. I do enjoy shaving with both. If I needed to shave quickly, I would probably use the HD. If I'm taking a "kids banging on the bathroom door shower" I would probably use the Futur for that long drive in the country shave. For those in-between times, heck they'll probably be in some sort rotation.

P.S. Really enjoying B&B (ADs abounding)

Welcome to the forum Johnnie if I've not already said so, and
Be careful!
Do not put those razors in the same drawer....:eek:
they breed in the dark and you will have more and more....often to the detriment of personal relationships....you will hide them, deny you have a problem....
there is no cure.
Welcome to the sickness.
John P.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Welcome to the forum Johnnie if I've not already said so, and
Be careful!
Do not put those razors in the same drawer....:eek:
they breed in the dark and you will have more and more....often to the detriment of personal relationships....you will hide them, deny you have a problem....
there is no cure.
Welcome to the sickness.
John P.
Wife already glaring at packages arriving at house. Anyway, I'm not letting this thing get away from me. Gotta go. Putting several bids on some Fat Boys on ebay and checking out UPS on the status of brush shipment and my blade sampler. Don;t worry. I have it all under control.

Welcome. I love my HD and it is my first and only razor (for right now) :biggrin:
However, I'm hearing the Slant calling my name like the Sirens calling Odysseus.

Top Bottom