What's new

Merkur - handle won't fully screw into head

Hi everyone - first post -

I was attempting to change the blades on my Merkur this morning and the handle would not unscrew from the head. I wrapped the head in a soft towel and put it in a vice and finally got the handle unscrewed. I've checked the threads and all seems to be fine.

When I try to reassemble, the handle screws in perfectly for the first 70% of the way and then meets massive resistance. It is tighter then I can do with my hands.

Has anyone had this happen before and if so, was there a solution? I'm hoping I won't have to replace it.

About a month....I have a beard so I only trim my neck. I've had the razor for about 5 years or so with steady usage.

Is there a way to resolve it or do I need to replace it?

Welcome to B&B.

Contact the vendor, explain what happened and if you're lucky they'll replace it. That shouldn't happen, IMO. I say if you're lucky because Merkur doesn't really like to honor the warranty.

I wouldn't mess with it. The handle is brass, but the head is Zamak (zinc alloy) , and if you damage the plating the razor won't last.

Good luck!

Is there a brand that is preferred? I've admittedly done little research and stumbled on to the Merkur.

Welcome to B&B.

Contact the vendor, explain what happened and if you're lucky they'll replace it. That shouldn't happen, IMO. I say if you're lucky because Merkur doesn't really like to honor the warranty.

I wouldn't mess with it. The handle is brass, but the head is Zamak (zinc alloy) , and if you damage the plating the razor won't last.

Good luck!

Is there a brand that is preferred? I've admittedly done little research and stumbled on to the Merkur.

Merkur makes good razors. The problems start when you have an issue with one of their razors. There's plenty of examples of plating issues and/or rotten razors (yes Zamak will rot if exposed to shaving soap, Zamak doesn't like alkaline substances), and they didn't honor the warranty. Usually they say it must be a problem with your water ... :lol:

You could try cleaning it good and then spray both the handle and cap threads with WD40 or something.

Yup, good idea. WD40 should be safe, won't damage the chrome.

I took a few Q-tips and soaked them in WD40 and cleaned all the threads quite well. It took several partial attempts at screwing on the handle but finally, all seems to be working properly again. I decided to put a drop of marine grease on the threads to try and prevent this from happening again.

Many thanks for all the help!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had that exact problem with Merkur 1904 a couple months ago. Cleaning the threads out with a wire brush from my rifle cleaning kit got it sorted. I figured it got gunked up somehow.

Hello and welcome, Dave. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

You asked if there were a brand that is preferred here.

For my 2 cents, take a look at a vintage Gillette. You can find tons of them on eBay or Etsy. Get a Super Speed or Tech and you will be well pleased. They shave great and are made of brass, so they will last forever and you'll not have any screw or thread issues.

Good luck!!

There is no clear-cut best brand, a lot of different people have a lot of different favorites. Between vintage and modern razors there are plenty of choices, and it's a very YMMV issue (Your Mileage May Vary).

+1 to tankerjohn's suggestion of cleaning the threads.

Like said above, if you're only changing a blade every month or so, maybe each or every other time you swap a blade, just gently take a little brush in there. I've done this before with the small side of my Thermos brush. Maybe a little dish soap as well.

Now that it's apart, how do the threads look? Its probably trashed the chrome and just going to keep doing it. Zamak doesn't like water, and it youre through plating it's just a waiting game now until the post about your caps threaded shank broke, how do i get the chunk out of handle. I'd seperate and dry it each time its used to help keep corrosion to minimum.

After cleaning my razors with dish soap and a toothbrush once and a while I always put a small dab of petroleum jelly (vaseline) on the threads to prevent corrosion and wear to it. Works great and if some might get on your skin it's no big deal.

Hi everyone - first post -

I was attempting to change the blades on my Merkur this morning and the handle would not unscrew from the head. I wrapped the head in a soft towel and put it in a vice and finally got the handle unscrewed. I've checked the threads and all seems to be fine.

When I try to reassemble, the handle screws in perfectly for the first 70% of the way and then meets massive resistance. It is tighter then I can do with my hands.

Has anyone had this happen before and if so, was there a solution? I'm hoping I won't have to replace it.
Same thing with mine,but I just took it out of the box. I got it to loosen up but when I replaced the first blade it got stuck again. Right now it's alright, but the threads look a little messed up.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Same thing with mine,but I just took it out of the box. I got it to loosen up but when I replaced the first blade it got stuck again. Right now it's alright, but the threads look a little messed up.

That's a bummer. Have you tried contacting the vendor?

Not yet, that is why I looked up to see if there was a problem, I will send them a email tommorow, thanks.

It took several partial attempts at screwing on the handle but finally, all seems to be working properly again. I decided to put a drop of marine grease on the threads to try and prevent this from happening again.
The grease should keep the threads lubricated and reduce wear. It will also keep the water away. I have always used light machine oil on the threads of my razors and they have never seized up. Hard water is particularly troublesome.

Top Bottom