What's new

Merkur Futura

Gents,

I have several Merkur's; both my 34C and 38HD give me a decent shave. However, my Gillette tech travel razor gives me even a closer and more consistent shave.

I have been shaving consistently for well over a year and have developed a good technique.

My thought is to get the futura, any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

Gillette Techs give a closer and more consistent shave primarily because of the head design (very thin top cap and guard close to the blade edge). If you are believing that an adjustable razor will somehow achieve this, the Futur is not the one to consider because the head is thicker than the 34c. If you are wanting an adjustable, then a vintage Slim or Super Adjustable (aka Black Beauty) is probably a better choice because of the thinner head. If you are just looking for a closer and more consistent shave like your travel Tech, then a vintage Tech, or New, or modern Tech clone (like the RR DE1) might be a better choice, especially since you seem to have gotten the right technique for the Tech.

I think you would be better off getting the Merkur Progress. I have both razors and I prefer the progress over the Futur because it has a smaller head and it doesn't weigh as much. I enjoy the shaves with the Progress a lot more.

I think you would be better off getting the Merkur Progress. I have both razors and I prefer the progress over the Futur because it has a smaller head and it doesn't weigh as much. I enjoy the shaves with the Progress a lot more.

+1, with a few caveats.

The Futur is a whisker killing beast. It is ruthless, takes no prisoners and it does not forgive error. In that, it is a great razor, or not, depending on what you are looking for.

Note that even on the lowest setting, the Futur is very aggressive. The Progress' aggressiveness can be dialed back quite a bit farther, and at 10 it can be just as aggressive as the Futur. So on adjustability the Progress is definitely more flexible.

The large head of the Futur never bothered me given that this is addressed with an XTG stroke.

The weight of the Futur is a plus, IMHO. But the long handle Progress (which is the version I have) is by all measure a hefty razor too, just less so.

Blade alignment is perfect with the Futur. The Progress can be finicky (even with the marks on the head and base plate properly aligned).

If you do check out the Progress, it may make sense to also have a look at the Parker Variant which supposedly fixes a lot of the annoyances of the Progress. Just note that those razors too seem to have their own QC issues.

i think the Futur could be my one razor, i like it that much. i have many other razors so i will never just have one again, but if i had just the Futur i could be happy. it is smooth and i think it is just a really nice razor. you have to be careful making adjustments because you actually turn the head and you don't want to grab the blade. now days i don't find myself trying to make adjustment mid shave so not that much of an issue.
as far as the merkurs i have the 34c and 37 slant. most of my others razors are between 50 and 100 years old. :001_rolle

you have to be careful making adjustments because you actually turn the head and you don't want to grab the blade.

Good point. And if you twist by the sides instead and your wet fingers slip you could end up with a seriously bad cut. No doubt, mid shave adjustability is much better on the Progress, where you twist the knob at the bottom of the pole to adjust the blade gap. In fact, I'd recommend against the Futur if mid shave adjustments are important to you.

Last edited:
I cannot see myself adjusting the blade gap in mid shave. I assume a lot of gents do that to reposition the blade length for their neck, face etc.

Now you guys have me thinking as to what adjustable to get. I did buy the RR DE1.

Gillette Techs give a closer and more consistent shave primarily because of the head design (very thin top cap and guard close to the blade edge). If you are believing that an adjustable razor will somehow achieve this, the Futur is not the one to consider because the head is thicker than the 34c. If you are wanting an adjustable, then a vintage Slim or Super Adjustable (aka Black Beauty) is probably a better choice because of the thinner head. If you are just looking for a closer and more consistent shave like your travel Tech, then a vintage Tech, or New, or modern Tech clone (like the RR DE1) might be a better choice, especially since you seem to have gotten the right technique for the Tech.

+1. Excellent summary. I would go for a Slim in the adjustable area or a vintage Tech.

No razor is perfect in the views of all. The Merkur Futur is not an exception. Having said that, I like the Futur and would never part with it. It has a nice feel and a good balance, in my hand and on my face. It gives me a close and comfortable shave at a setting on only 1.5 with a Merkur blade. It has good precision and fit as to mating the blade with the razor. It's a keeper!

I recently got a Futur, I was taken by it's stunning looks and payed the hefty price. I normally rotate between a Parker A1R, a Fatboy, Slim, Edwin Jagger and a Tech. I get great shaves from all of these and every time is a near BBS. I used the Futur at setting 7 (like I do with my Slim and Fatboy) and I got one of the most painful shaves ever! It actually peeled the upper layer of my skin, great exfoliation but I looked like a monkeys behind and the Pinaud I used afterwards felt like battery acid.

The razor it self feels too bulky, heavy and difficult to manoeuvre, especially under the nose (trying to fit it there got me a nice bleeder too) it's also slippery and felt precarious all around. Maybe I'll give it another go, but I don't feel like risking another deep exfoliation.

I recently got a Futur, I was taken by it's stunning looks and payed the hefty price. I normally rotate between a Parker A1R, a Fatboy, Slim, Edwin Jagger and a Tech. I get great shaves from all of these and every time is a near BBS. I used the Futur at setting 7 (like I do with my Slim and Fatboy) and I got one of the most painful shaves ever! It actually peeled the upper layer of my skin, great exfoliation but I looked like a monkeys behind and the Pinaud I used afterwards felt like battery acid.

The razor it self feels too bulky, heavy and difficult to manoeuvre, especially under the nose (trying to fit it there got me a nice bleeder too) it's also slippery and felt precarious all around. Maybe I'll give it another go, but I don't feel like risking another deep exfoliation.
Yea I am ugly enough. Now you guys have me rethinking things on the Futur

The razor itself feels too bulky, heavy and difficult to manoeuvre, especially under the nose (trying to fit it there got me a nice bleeder too) it's also slippery and felt precarious all around. Maybe I'll give it another go, but I don't feel like risking another deep exfoliation.

Wow! You shaved at a 7 on the Futur? Some guys do, I guess, but it hard for me to visualize, and I would not attempt it.

I have coarse and heavy whiskers. A Fat Boy on 5 and a Slim on 6 is perfect for me, combining efficiency and comfort. But on a Futur a setting of 1.5 is perfect.

Why don't you try a shave on the Future at a 1.5 or 2 and see how it goes? Of coarse use little to no pressure. The razor itself has "built in pressure," as it's quite heavy.

Wow! You shaved at a 7 on the Futur? Some guys do, I guess, but it hard for me to visualize, and I would not attempt it.

I have coarse and heavy whiskers. A Fat Boy on 5 and a Slim on 6 is perfect for me, combining efficiency and comfort. But on a Futur a setting of 1.5 is perfect.

Why don't you try a shave on the Future at a 1.5 or 2 and see how it goes? Of coarse use little to no pressure. The razor itself has "built in pressure," as it's quite heavy.

Yes! I found out that a futur at 7 will joyfully peel you face off, unfortunately I found out right after i rinsed half my face down the drain with the lather on the razor. My next go will be at a much much lower setting (when I gather the nerve to have another go that is).

if You use a agressive blad on Your future you will fell how much its biteing , use a soft blade on agressive razors ,With a soft blade its like a singing gillete Tech or a super speed

Picked up a Futur for a deployment vs taking my straights (which I was pulled from 2 weeks after I bought the razor). I use it when I don't have time for SRing. Got to say I enjoy it.
After not using a DE for approx 5 yrs I've had no problem with aggressiveness, weight, or head size.
I admit it can be aggressive, but as mentioned you can balance that with blade choice.
The head size did take a little getting use to, but didn't present a problem after about shave #3.
I find the weight to be advantageous.
Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom