What's new

Merkur Futur --- what do you all think of it?

You can adjust it whenever you want in use... Just fold a washcloth on your sink and use it as your fulcrum.. You never have to touch the thing.. The futur is an incredible razor, but it is one of the most blade sensitive I have ever come across. You have to find what works and just don't deviate

You can adjust it whenever you want in use... Just fold a washcloth on your sink and use it as your fulcrum.. You never have to touch the thing.. The futur is an incredible razor, but it is one of the most blade sensitive I have ever come across. You have to find what works and just don't deviate

It is an amazing razor. I normally just hold the collar under the head and turn the handle to adjust. Another case of YMMV, but I find the Futur to be among my least blade sensitive razors and I can through just about any blade in it to get a great shave.

Merle,

It sounds to me that the gold model is slightly more slippery in the hand. Is that so?

@santamariasteve one would think it so, but my experience is I usually rinse off soap on my shaving hand. If I've let soap get thin and run up/down the handle, again, I usually rinse off the hand and handle. Just to be safe.

If it's just water I have no trouble(never had ~) with slippery grip. And usually, my shave cream or soap lather is pretty thick and not runny. Thus it stays at the scupper or builds on the bottom of the lower plate.

I don't have a water softener so I don't know how that affect would effect things - I'd have to think it would be more of a serious issue.

I can shave with the R41 and a feather no problem. The Futur even on setting 1 is too much for me and I don't know why. Under the nose is another story. It looks good though on the stand.

Well, it was one of my first razors and although it is aesthetically appealing I never loved the shave. I now have a Hone 15 that is similar in design but brass and I prefer the shave. The Futur will be sold or PIFed I'm sure.

Well, it was one of my first razors and although it is aesthetically appealing I never loved the shave. I now have a Hone 15 that is similar in design but brass and I prefer the shave. The Futur will be sold or PIFed I'm sure.
Would you be so kind and post a photo
Of the Hone 15 , I ask because I've never Seen one before.
Thank You so much.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I can shave with the R41 and a feather no problem. The Futur even on setting 1 is too much for me and I don't know why. Under the nose is another story. It looks good though on the stand.
You should check your adjustment of seat, if you had the razor apart it could not be in its proper seat postion when resembled. When fully seated on 1 there should be no gab or very little.

You should check your adjustment of seat, if you had the razor apart it could not be in its proper seat postion when resembled. When fully seated on 1 there should be no gab or very little.
Thank you, it was just that. I tightened it all the way down and it had loads of play, I took it apart again, reversed the mid plate and now there is absolutely no play and aligns on more or less 1. Testing it again today, although I doubt it will do well under the nose area.
Thank you my friend. One other thing. One other thing, mine has no notches for placing the cap, so I do put the cap on either side.

Ron R

Thank you, it was just that. I tightened it all the way down and it had loads of play, I took it apart again, reversed the mid plate and now there is absolutely no play and aligns on more or less 1. Testing it again today, although I doubt it will do well under the nose area.
Thank you my friend. One other thing. One other thing, mine has no notches for placing the cap, so I do put the cap on either side.
Great for you, I have a Ming Shi futur clone and this is what happened to myself, the shaver is wonderful and for the top cap I like to keep the release side always to the right of the indicator notch for consistency .
The Futur is a radical design change and the acoustics are like scraping toast and i really like that noise and to get excellent shaves is the top of the world.
All the best!

Ron R

Nice Razor but should have the choice of say 3 different handles for grip is my opinion.

I have a shinny chromed Futur and find it to be a little of a rough shave when I use it. I start with it set on 3 then go to 1 for pass 2 and 3. It is not as comfortable to shave with as my other de's, but it sure does leave my face bbs. I also love the look of it. It is a nicely designed razor. I wish it was a little less aggressive though.

Ninjack, you're shaving with an adjustable razor and you find it too aggressive. What does that tell you?

Instead of a setting of 3, I suggest you do all three passes at the setting of 1 or 1.5.

I have tough whiskers, and I find 1.5 on the Futur is perfect for me for all three passes.

I have steel cables growing out of my face, but I can get a BBS shave with most blades when I use the Futur. I love this razor so much, that I have 2 of them- satin and gold. I am thinking about getting the chrome one also.

Ninjack, you're shaving with an adjustable razor and you find it too aggressive. What does that tell you?

Instead of a setting of 3, I suggest you do all three passes at the setting of 1 or 1.5.

I have tough whiskers, and I find 1.5 on the Futur is perfect for me for all three passes.

I used the Futur this morning on a setting of 2 for all three passes and got a great shave with it. It's been several months since I last used the Futur and I have learned that my angle in the past was too steep. Using the shallower angle and lighter pressure than in the past seemed to do the trick. I didn't even get a burn when applying the after shave cologne this morning. I'm very pleased with how the shave went. In the past my shaves with the Futur just felt too much like it was scraping instead of smoothly cutting through the hairs. This mornings shave was as smooth as any de I have tried and bbs. I have always loved the look and feel of the razor in my hand but just couldn't get a comfortable shave with it. I will use it again tomorrw and if it is as good as today's shave then I think I will purchase another Futur or at least try one of the clones. I have the chrome version and would like the satin finish one. I had been having trouble with all of my razors that weren't very mild until I figured out the angle I needed. It was really a fantastic shave!

Top Bottom