What's new

Merkur Futur --- what do you all think of it?

It was actually one of the first DEs I used when I switched back to DEs around 15-17 years ago.

I LOVE the look of it. I LOVE the feel of it in my hand. The shave itself... its not going to be my first choice there. Th 38c is my 'go to' razor and its head is shaped perfectly, it grips well, and the overall size and weight is perfect for me.

But I do love the look of the Futur. LIke a lot of razors, I can and do enjoy them for looks only.

I like the Merkur Futur very much. I only wish the handle was not quite so slick, though it's manageable.

I'm surprised you don't get a super close and comfortable shave with it. I certainly do. I use a low setting of 1.5, even though I have a coarse beard. Are you using a setting that is too high?

IMO many shavers use too high of a setting on adjustable razors. Sometimes "less is more."

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Too big and bulky for me although the shave was OK at lower settings. Big gap!

I agree with Steve on the high settings some guys use -- could be a macho thing. :surrender:

I never found the handle slick, so YMMV. But you adjust the razor by twisting the head. NEVER adjust this razor with a loaded blade, especially with wet hands. If your fingers slip you may end up with a slice requiring stitches.

Why ask us since you already have an answer for yourself?

Well, I as you can see I do indicate that I love its look and that there are some issues with its function. So I am asking this to see if any others have the same issues, and/or to learn if I am just doing something wrong. Or, if there are common issues, how might one mitigate them. While I love the Futur, the handle does lack grip. Its too smooth. I see others have this issue, to varying degrees.

I have tried many razors and it is my current favorite. I typically use it at 2.5. I find it very efficient at this setting.

The futur is one of the best aggressive razor that I have. It is as good as the timeless oc, the charcoal goods level 3 oc and the muhle r41

A perfect razor IMO doesn't exist, for the same reasons that a perfect man or woman doesn't exist.

Searching for the holy grail razor may be a fool's errand, but I admit it's fun.

I use a Mingshi 2000S "Futur Clone" and it's the best razor I've used, I usually do WTG on #4, XTG on #5 and ATG on #6
If the clone is this good, then the genuine article must be great

I never found the handle slick, so YMMV. But you adjust the razor by twisting the head. NEVER adjust this razor with a loaded blade, especially with wet hands. If your fingers slip you may end up with a slice requiring stitches.

Well, I've used one for about five years. It's not a problem to adjust one while there's a blade loaded, but *don't* do it with your bare hands. I just hold the head by the end caps in a towel or washcloth - nice & safe.

I have the Ming Shi/Q Shave replica and I find the way I use it allows it to adjust, unintentionally, while shaving.
Definitely a learning curve.

I used a Futur for a time. Its a good razor and very well-crafted but it takes a lot of skill to use it. Even at the mildest setting, the Futur takes a light touch.

The Merkur Futur is my favorite
Razor an incredibly smooth shaving
Razor and I find it to be very easy to
Use , if I had only one razor to use it
Would be the Futur and not surprisingly
My 2nd favorite is the Ming Shi clone.

The thing I would specify if someone asked me to recommend anything about buying a Futur: Get it in lacquered gold. The lacquer makes the cap and bar surfaces ultra smooth and supple on the skin. It also helps the shave lather offer glide. Last, a modern piece of art like this deserves gold. And it really is pretty to look at. I might even buy the 4pc in gold should I find it at this late date in my collecting.

Top Bottom