What's new

Merkur Futur vs Ming Shi 2000S - first impressions

As a big Merkur Futur fan, I was stunned by the price of these Chinese clones. So, there wasn't much thought about it, I've ordered one from Aliexpress. $6.25, shipping included.

I've used Merkur Futur almost daily, for the last 2 years. It's definitely my go-to razor, I find it extremely solid and efficient shaver. It just was the razor that clicked, nothing shaves my beard as good as the Futur.

I've received the Ming Shi 2000S yesterday. Took it apart, and it looks pretty well. Not many manufacturing marks, except few areas. One, on the inside of the cap, where there was a rusted spot, and some areas around the base plate, on the interior, where the coating it's not well applied. I've cleaned out the rust, but it's still a dot where the coating is broken.

Right off the bat, I've noticed that the Ming Shi it's lighter than the Futur.

Out of the box, the blade was misaligned. This can happen with Futur too. The way to fix it, on both razors it's to turn around the spring or the base plate and the cap. Turn them around until they stay fixed. I've found a good spot and it looked pretty well aligned. Not perfect, but well enough.

I've shaved twice with it, yesterday and today. Now, the thing with it is that it's different than the Futur. The blade exposure it's different, the angle you need for the blade to cut well is different too. One thing that I've appreciated at Futur, and probably the reason why I've clicked so well with it, it's that the natural angle of the razor it's exactly the same as with the optimal cutting angle.
Can't say the same about the Ming Shi. You need to take a shallower angle in order for the blade to make contact with the hair you need to cut. Even doing so, the blade exposure it's not enough. The problem is the top cap, so even if you adjust the aggressiveness, you're still not gonna get the same results as with the Futur.

I've ended up with bad shaves, yesterday and today. A bit of irritation and plenty of hair left on my face. The effectiveness just isn't there and the razor is weird to use due to the angle adjustment.

Sorry for the long post... To cut it short. It's not the same as the Futur. You're not gonna get the same feel with it as you get with Futur. So, if you grab one of these in this idea, that you want to try the Futur, you're not gonna have a good impression of the original razor.
I can't really recommend it. I mean, if you can afford the Futur, just go for the real thing, you're gonna get a great razor. If the price is the problem, there are better alternatives. From the top of my head, you can get a Fatip Grande and get more Futur-like feeling than you get with the Ming Shi.

I agree they are a bit different razors...the original and the clone. With the clone I had difficulties to find the cutting angle sometimes when shaving the neck area WTG at low setting 1 or 1.5. The clone is milder clearly.

I bought two copies, I enjoyed the razor but the top cap was just to big for me. The slipperiness of the handle was a cause for concern as well. Both aren't deal breakers just didn't want to fight with it.

Overall, I liked it and it gave a decent shave but then I found the Parker variant and all my other razors are on the shelf.

-Stephen

It must be a QC issue with the Ming Shi. There have been others who have posted the razor they have received have has the same problem.

I got one 2 months ago, and no matter which blade I put in it, I get a DFS or BBS from it. I have no issues with the blade gap or coating. It's my go to razor right now.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have both a Futur and a Ming Shi 2000S and actually like both. They both give me a PDG+ near perfect shave and I find only minor differences.

• The Ming Shi is slightly lighter.
  • The Ming Shi handle is slightly slimmer.
  • The Ming Shi makes more noise than the Futur.
  • The adjusting mechanism on the Ming Shi feels smoother and more precise than the Futur.
  • The Futur might be just slightly more efficient than the Ming Shi but only very slightly.
I find both position the blade perfectly and I load by placing the cap down with the spears pointing up, putting the blade on the cap and then putting the base on the cap instead of putting the cap on the base.

Even though the Ming Shi looks like a Futur, it's not a Futur so it's like any other razor and one has to figure out the best way to shave with it and it may not be the same approach that works with other razors. I get great shaves from my Ming Shi and it is the best price to performance razor I own. It shaves just as well as my Slim, Aristocrat and SLAB.

Can't get that thing under-nose. And no, I don't look like Cyrano de Bergerac. It's the topcap.

I can't either, the head on this thing is huge! But then again, I can't properly get under my nose with any of my razors when I'm shaving from N to S because my mustache hair grows right up to where my nose meets my face. (There's no gap whatsoever.) With all my razors I have to shave E to W, W to E and S to N in the mustache area.

I will say, nothing to me compares to shaving with my Futur razor. (Although, I do like my straight and rockwell) I really enjoy the razor itself. Also, just got mine back today and so I'm super stoked. I have been using the clone for about 5-6 months to tied me over, but it's different. Not in a bad way.

Futur has this nice aggressive edge to it. If I get too careless, I'll know I did. Clone is like a Feather AS-D2 compared to the Futur. I dont feel any or much threat from it. I actually grabbed Clones for my groomsmen. It's a decent razor for the price. Also, a lot more new user friendly.

I learned my lesson with the Parker Variant, I might consider a futur but there is no way I would even consider a Ming Shi!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive purchased three Ming Shi 2000S razors from two different sellers. One for the daily rack, one for a travel razor, and one for a back up. None have any of the QC woes I’ve heard described. All deliver a solid, pleasant shave. Best bang for the buck in wet shaving IMO.

Last edited:
It didn't make it into my rotation, either. Can't get that thing under-nose. And no, I don't look like Cyrano de Bergerac. It's the topcap.

Same with me. I use a DE89 to do under nose, around mouth and just under my chin. The rest I do with my QShave.

Top Bottom